Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going with 4 seats - no second row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonjour from France everyone!

First, thank you everyone for all the infos and the pictures on the forum!

I'm about to finalise my configuration (the design studio is now open in France as well). I will use the model x more like a minivan, i have a lot of sport gear to transport. So I am planning to go with the 6 seats config, and then take off the two seats of the second row. I hope it will not be too complicated to do the work, i haven't seen exactly how they are attached. Hard to see on pictures.

Any one has tried it before?

what do you think?

Like this
Photo 15-02-2016 17 54 11.jpg
Photo 05-03-2016 21 10 17.jpg

So I asked my local Tesla shop today.

They have no clue how to deal with the airbags sensors in the second row seats that will probably appear as faulty on the central screen.
Appart from that it should not be a problem to take the seats off as planned. And the seat belt sensors will not create problem according to them.

So I guess without trying we will not have the answer to this question.

Except if someone has an idea?
Or someone who already has an X and like this configuration would like to try ?

Without the second row (or the second row is moved forward without a passenger), the leg space would be luxurious while sitting in the third row rear seats. However, the wheel wells do constrict passenger space on the side. There are no arm rests on the side of the third row. Don't expect limousine comfort.

We also have had the discussion about a 2-0-2 arrangement.

Pros:
* really capacious middle, and extremely accessible with the FWDoors.
* legroom sufficient for your average giraffe

Tradeoffs:
* the view forward from the missing second row seats is spectacular with the wonderful Prevost-like windshield. From the third row, it's only so-so. That said, the third row qua third row - it's darned good visibility.

Cons:
* the third row seats definitely are not so good as the second row ones. They are smaller, the vehicle's waist is narrower there and the headroom is inferior.
* Tesla has put so much effort into those second row seats - with the pedestal they are on, etc. - that, for the moment at least, the effort to extract them is enormous. I very much place that at Tesla's feet as a great big fox paw (sorry, you're French: faux pas); regardless it is, for the moment, something we have to live with.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
I had a Chevrolet Transport like 10 y ago and in order to disable passager airbag (for a child seat) you just installed a resistor in the connector to simulate that the airbag was in place. I guess you can do something similar.

Good to know, it may be a good back up solution!

- - - Updated - - -

We also have had the discussion about a 2-0-2 arrangement.

Pros:
* really capacious middle, and extremely accessible with the FWDoors.
* legroom sufficient for your average giraffe

Tradeoffs:
* the view forward from the missing second row seats is spectacular with the wonderful Prevost-like windshield. From the third row, it's only so-so. That said, the third row qua third row - it's darned good visibility.

Cons:
* the third row seats definitely are not so good as the second row ones. They are smaller, the vehicle's waist is narrower there and the headroom is inferior.
* Tesla has put so much effort into those second row seats - with the pedestal they are on, etc. - that, for the moment at least, the effort to extract them is enormous. I very much place that at Tesla's feet as a great big fox paw (sorry, you're French: faux pas); regardless it is, for the moment, something we have to live with.

Yes the "cons" for me are really not important. We are 95% of time two in the car if I'm not alone in it with my tons of sport gears :). And because they put much effort does not make the seats more useful... they are not foldable :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Tesla has been involving too much concentration on those second row back seats, and they totally missed the whole point of the SUV.

It has to be spacious and to transports gears. What's the point if the second row seats are not foldable. Big mistake in my opinion.

It can be a luxurious, car but it should answer the purpose it is aimed for. And the purpose I see is to be functional caring people and gears

Yes the "cons" for me are really not important. We are 95% of time two in the car if I'm not alone in it with my tons of sport gears :). And because they put much effort does not make the seats more useful... they are not foldable :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Tesla has been involving too much concentration on those second row back seats, and they totally missed the whole point of the SUV.

It has to be spacious and to transports gears. What's the point if the second row seats are not foldable. Big mistake in my opinion.

It can be a luxurious, car but it should answer the purpose it is aimed for. And the purpose I see is to be functional caring people and gears

I agree 100% with each of your sentiments and have taken pains to horrify every Tesla employee I encounter by letting them know that were I to take delivery today the first thing I would do would be to fire up my grinder and level the second-row pedestals.:scared::cursing::crying:

I'm quite sure most SUV's transport mostly people, with very little gear, and a small percentage of people actually fold down and/or remove seats. I think Tesla made those calculations and chose accordingly. Just because Tesla didn't make the most useful vehicle for you doesn't mean they made a mistake.

I'm quite sure most SUV's transport mostly people, with very little gear, and a small percentage of people actually fold down and/or remove seats. I think Tesla made those calculations and chose accordingly. Just because Tesla didn't make the most useful vehicle for you doesn't mean they made a mistake.

Yes of course. But they could have let us the option to configure with 4 seats in case we would use the car more for gears than for people. For a sport utility vehicle it's the least they should do.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree 100% with each of your sentiments and have taken pains to horrify every Tesla employee I encounter by letting them know that were I to take delivery today the first thing I would do would be to fire up my grinder and level the second-row pedestals.:scared::cursing::crying:

:biggrin: For sure I'll do that as well if I finally decide to pull the trigger on the confirmation of my X's reservation!
But because all of this, I'm still not 100% convinced to order

- - - Updated - - -

And I also wonder how those falcon wing doors will function in the long run, after being manipulated several time per day ??