Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GOP tax reform bill would end the $7500 EV tax credit (and other tax related grousing and grumbling)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having it scale with price could let a company sell a Smartfor2EV for $80,000 just to get more for it.

Having it a flat rate makes the discount more attractive the closer the car price is to competitive vs other cars of its size and capability.

There are plenty of ways it could be improved but scaling it with price with no regard to any other metric would be a mistake.

Scale with EPA range.. encourage manufacturers to improve the efficiency and technology. You can build a 250mile EV for the same price as the other guys can build a 150mile EV, then you get to chose between undercutting them, or pocketing higher margin.

Reactions: dhanson865
A 27% price increase for the base Model 3 (from $27,500 to $35,000)! Ouch!

For Model S buyers the Federal Tax credit may not be a deciding factor, but for those who were considering an entry-level Tesla, or another EV for that matter, this might become a deal breaker.

Your profile says you live in OH which has a median income similar to TN so if you somehow make enough money to get a $7500 tax credit applied in full, congratulations.

1. I don't make enough to take a $7500 credit. I don't think my tax liability for a year has ever broken $6,000. I don't have tax records in front of me to check but I'm thinking I maxed around 4 or 5.

2. I don't live on the west coast, I don't work for Tesla/SpaceX, I don't have a current Tesla, I'm in the back of the line for getting a model 3. I fully expect by the time I can get one new that the old tax break will have dropped to the $3750 level but should I somehow be able to get one during the $7500 time frame I still won't get $7500 off*.

3. I do think a $3750 or better credit would affect the options I choose. Losing that could influence me to drop the long range option and/or the second motor. It wouldn't change whether or not I got a Tesla at all.

* Not everyone lives on the coast and has a 6 figure income. Some of us live in flyover country in locations were $35,000 a year is median income. I do make above median for my home city and metro area but I don't make any where near the median income of a Californian.

What's most obnoxious about the tax reform is that they are cutting tax breaks to fund tax breaks. If they would just decrease spending overall, they could give a true genuine tax cut without increasing the deficit.
Something like 60% of your taxes go to military.Who enjoys military spending more than the oil industry? Nobody.

If it hasn't been suggested earlier in this thread, email your federal senators and congresspersons, asking them to do what they can to remove this EV tax credit elimination from today's H.R. 1. It will take you 10 minutes max - something to do until your M3 arrives. :)
This link does the job in two minutes:
Please sign: Plug In America

Having it scale with price could let a company sell a Smartfor2EV for $80,000 just to get more for it.

Having it a flat rate makes the discount more attractive the closer the car price is to competitive vs other cars of its size and capability.

There are plenty of ways the it could be improved but scaling it with price with no regard to any other metric would be a mistake.
Hence the reason for having the $7500 cap. By only price scaling it would obviously be a mistake but without a scale in price theoretically a manufacturer could come up with a POS street legal golf cart with a large enough battery(like a smaller Mitsubishi i-MiEV) and sell 200,000 of them at virtually no cost to buyer and really not benefit any advanced technology. Market forces should prevent any sales of an $80,000 SmartFor2. It’s not the Goverments job to make an auto company profitable but they can assist in helping implement new technology with subsidized incentives.

I don't really see the need for $75k+ cars to need a tax credit anyway. Is there really anyone here that wouldn't have bought a new Tesla without that credit?
I wouldn't have purchased my X. I came for autopilot. Other companies are making great advancements in the area. With the Model 3 delays, the change in speech to "I still think" from "This hardware will" I've decided to start looking into other vehicles.

I'm a member, but I don't think I have posted before. Just here to say that I think many, many people like me view this with extreme trepidation. May not pass, but if it does, I'll be volcanically angry. Like, I bet, a lot of wannabe M3 buyers, I've never been a high earner. (Thank you, journalism!) I'm 48, but the most I've ever paid for a car is $2700. I currently drive a Prius, for which I paid $1500. I believe that EVs are the right, moral thing to do for the world and the future. I'm finally earning enough, and I'm a saver. But preparing to spend, with tax credits, 10 times as much as I've ever paid for a car-- that's a very big deal.

I believe this won't pass, but if it does, I may not get to have an EV for a long time. I need something capable of longer trips, so a Leaf or similar won't work.

I firmly believe this is part and parcel of the current push to deny the clear reality of how ICE emissions change the atmosphere.

This is an awful, if predictable, turn. I know a lot of people here make a lot of dough. Don't forget about the low-rollers among you! :)

Off to call my congressional reps. -sigh-

I'm a member, but I don't think I have posted before. Just here to say that I think many, many people like me view this with extreme trepidation. May not pass, but if it does, I'll be volcanically angry. Like, I bet, a lot of wannabe M3 buyers, I've never been a high earner. (Thank you, journalism!) I'm 48, but the most I've ever paid for a car is $2700. I currently drive a Prius, for which I paid $1500. I believe that EVs are the right, moral thing to do for the world and the future. I'm finally earning enough, and I'm a saver. But preparing to spend, with tax credits, 10 times as much as I've ever paid for a car-- that's a very big deal.

I believe this won't pass, but if it does, I may not get to have an EV for a long time. I need something capable of longer trips, so a Leaf or similar won't work.

I firmly believe this is part and parcel of the current push to deny the clear reality of how ICE emissions change the atmosphere.

This is an awful, if predictable, turn. I know a lot of people here make a lot of dough. Don't forget about the low-rollers among you! :)

Off to call my congressional reps. -sigh-

You do understand I hope that unless something earth shaking happens you wouldn't be getting the full rebate anyways due to the Model 3 delay? And you also have to have enough taxable income to get that back, right?

I hope you also understand that revamping the tax code is far more important long term than a one-time use EV tax credit.

If a hypothetical $3750 credit on a Model 3 is make or break for you then I would respectfully comment that you probably shouldn't be making the financial commitment int he first place.

You do understand I hope that unless something earth shaking happens you wouldn't be getting the full rebate anyways? And you also have to have enough taxable income to get that back, right?

I hope you also understand that revamping the tax code is far more important long term than a one-time use EV tax credit.

BINGO. Most people are not making the connect that Tesla is getting pretty darned close to 200k vehicles sold in the US and with the Model 3 delay, more S's and X's will be sold and eat up more of those tax credits.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8