Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got a quote for 14-50 install in garage, please help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, 24 feet isn't really very long, but 8 gauge wire in conduit is just at the rating for a 50A circuit. If it were me, I would do 6 gauge too, as a couple of people have mentioned.

And if you are getting a bit more work done with upgraded panel capacity, does the detached garage currently have any electricity? If this is the only line running juice to that building for the first time, then I might even go bigger than 6, like 4 gauge and put in a subpanel, so you can have the charging circuit, plus another 120V circuit for lights and a couple of outlets. Might as well make it more useful if you're having to cut a trench to it.

I must be the cheapest guy on this site. You guys throw money around like your all rich. Me? Not so much.

I bought a 50 foot 10-30 240 volt extension cord for under $170.00 and plug in to the dryer receptacle. I have 100 amp service.

Using the 10-30 I'm charging a consistent 21 miles an hour. That is way more than I will ever need. I got a quote from an electrician for around $5,000 also but that included the digging to lay the cable.

Another guy quoted $800 to run the cable. I did it in about an hour. The total run turned into about 42 feet from source to connection.

I do have to swap the plug when drying clothes but otherwise it's perfect for my needs.

Attachments

• Charger Installed.png
    Charger Installed.png
    612 KB · Views: 93
  • Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
Oh, 24 feet isn't really very long, but 8 gauge wire in conduit is just at the rating for a 50A circuit. If it were me, I would do 6 gauge too, as a couple of people have mentioned.

And if you are getting a bit more work done with upgraded panel capacity, does the detached garage currently have any electricity? If this is the only line running juice to that building for the first time, then I might even go bigger than 6, like 4 gauge and put in a subpanel, so you can have the charging circuit, plus another 120V circuit for lights and a couple of outlets. Might as well make it more useful if you're having to cut a trench to it.

The detached garage already has electricity, but just the regular 120v type and a subpanel for that. It powers the garage opener, the lights inside, and a little pond pump (I have a red-eared slider turtle in a 150-gallon tub in the garage, the pump barely draws any power). It also charges my Model Y right now at about 2miles/hour average. So this new line would just be dedicated to charging the model y.

I'll ask about 6 gauge, thanks!

Reactions: kayak1
I must be the cheapest guy on this site. You guys throw money around like your all rich. Me? Not so much.

I do have to swap the plug when drying clothes but otherwise it's perfect for my needs.

No I'm in the same realm. And your not THAT cheap since you bought the cable hook. ;)

I used a NEMA 10-15 for some time. Overnight it gives me way more then my 5 mile round trip. Of course that was before working 3+ months from home now. Which will likely continued through next year according to work.

Then I upgraded to a Tesla NEMA 10-20 adapter since a fellow member offered the adapter for free if I just paid the $5 shipping. Wiring was already 20A rated and had a 20A fuse on it.

Recently Iucked out on an open box AC Works 25 ft NEMA 10-30 extension cable (REALLY heavy duty) for $30 delivered to hook up to my unused 60's dryer outlet since I have a gas dryer, which is also cheaper than electricity. So I found a $25 delivered Tesla NEMA 10-30 adapter.

I'm still rocking a 100A / 240V 1969 panel that is 100% full with only something like 10 full size or 20 half double fuses.

BTW they have splinters to add two outlets. Or better choice an automated switch to whichever is active be it Tesla or Dryer. But both are $100+ so not cheap. Just the constant swapping between the two your doing I wouldn't be thrilled and it's also a pain. I'd look for a deal on a splinter or switch on eBay myself.

Last edited:
No, quite the opposite. If you undersize, you lose both efficiency and generate heat. Lots of heat.

(And note that the diameter of wire decreases as the gauge increases. 6 AWG is thicker than 8 AWG.)

Not asking about undersized. Actually about using the proper cable for your load vs using something way oversized for your (current) load just to plan for the future. Is there a downside in that case.

The detached garage already has electricity, but just the regular 120v type and a subpanel for that. It powers the garage opener, the lights inside, and a little pond pump (I have a red-eared slider turtle in a 150-gallon tub in the garage, the pump barely draws any power). It also charges my Model Y right now at about 2miles/hour average. So this new line would just be dedicated to charging the model y.

I'll ask about 6 gauge, thanks!

How does the family or the turtle enjoy each other if it's stick in the garage?

How are you only getting 2 miles/hour on 120v? I always get 5 with 120/12 charging, constantly.

BTW they have splinters to add two outlets. Or better choice an automated switch to whichever is active be it Tesla or Dryer. But both are $100+ so not cheap. Just the constant swapping between the two your doing I wouldn't be thrilled and it's also a pain. I'd look for a deal on a splinter or switch on eBay myself.

Might you point me to any automatic switcher/splitter in the $100 price range? I find nothing.

Jim

Might you point me to any automatic switcher/splitter in the $100 price range? I find nothing.

Jim

Mentioned simple power cable splitters where you manually need to make sure both aren’t at the same time. Also automated switches that default to one over another and detected when one is in use. Most are kind of hand made. Used these can be found on eBay and here on the forum from time to time. The dumb cable splitters are like $100+. The smart ones are like $200+. Dryer Buddy is one of the more popular choices. I think they might be hand made. Usually $200-300 new and can be custom ordered in various configurations. There are also older generations that are similar to current models but not as fancy even though basic functions are are the same, they can be found used for $100+ if you look wide enough and long enough.

Dryer Buddy™ 30A 240v Splitter 10-30 USED. 5ft cord | eBay

EV DRYER BUDDY (tm) AUTO SWITCH FOR 240VAC DRYER PLUG CHARGERS Tesla | eBay

Mentioned simple power cable splitters where you manually need to make sure both aren’t at the same time. Also automated switches that default to one over another and detected when one is in use. Most are kind of hand made. Used these can be found on eBay and here on the forum from time to time. The dumb cable splitters are like $100+. The smart ones are like $200+. Dryer Buddy is one of the more popular choices. I think they might be hand made. Usually $200-300 new and can be custom ordered in various configurations. There are also older generations that are similar to current models but not as fancy even though basic functions are are the same, they can be found used for $100+ if you look wide enough and long enough.

Dryer Buddy™ 30A 240v Splitter 10-30 USED. 5ft cord | eBay

EV DRYER BUDDY (tm) AUTO SWITCH FOR 240VAC DRYER PLUG CHARGERS Tesla | eBay
Unless it's UL approved, I would run away!

I bought a 50 foot 10-30 240 volt extension cord for under $170.00 and plug in to the dryer receptacle. I have 100 amp service.

Using the 10-30 I'm charging a consistent 21 miles an hour. That is way more than I will ever need. I got a quote from an electrician for around $5,000 also but that included the digging to lay the cable.

Another guy quoted $800 to run the cable. I did it in about an hour. The total run turned into about 42 feet from source to connection.

Extension cords are not rated for permanent use.

To contribute a data point: I said yes to an electrician today to install a 14-50 at my place. $493. Its all done and I’m now shopping L2 chargers to install.

Driveway no garage.
14-50 in weatherproof box on wraparound porch, 5ft from driveway.
He used 8# back to my panel.
Dryer circuit disconnected (and left in panel for potential use by future owners)
Dryer breaker bumped from 30a to 50a
Distance from socket to panel (with turns) - spitballing - 35 feet.
Easy access under porch, crawlspace etc

We have two cars to charge: a ‘17 Prius Prime and a MY (next week baby!)

The existing 5-15 socket we’ve been using also powers TWO bathrooms and a GFCI socket in a utility closet. If wife charged her car ( or my sons previously owned Leaf ) and tried to dry her hair? POP.

Hope that helps someone

To contribute a data point: I said yes to an electrician today to install a 14-50 at my place. $493. Its all done and I’m now shopping L2 chargers to install.

Driveway no garage.
14-50 in weatherproof box on wraparound porch, 5ft from driveway.
He used 8# back to my panel.
Dryer circuit disconnected (and left in panel for potential use by future owners)
Dryer breaker bumped from 30a to 50a
Distance from socket to panel (with turns) - spitballing - 35 feet.
Easy access under porch, crawlspace etc

We have two cars to charge: a ‘17 Prius Prime and a MY (next week baby!)

The existing 5-15 socket we’ve been using also powers TWO bathrooms and a GFCI socket in a utility closet. If wife charged her car ( or my sons previously owned Leaf ) and tried to dry her hair? POP.

Hope that helps someone
8 AWG is a bit marginal for a 50A (max draw 40A) at a 35 foot run, but it should work (with some minor voltage drop).

Don't want to just get a $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla and use the mobility charger included with the car?

Do you really need to charge that much faster? You'll spend what $500 on a charger and then need the electrician to come back out and wire it up?

Reactions: Rocky_H