Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Mylr last month notice range drops a lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday was eye opener for me.. I drove about 80 miles starting with 80% battery at 75 mile/hr and when I return home it was at 58% why did I see battery drop so much. Mylr is a month old got 1423 miles. White with upgraded wheels. I did have the air conditioner on had setting on chill mode. Anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Also notice when I drive 80/miles per hour battery drops faster.. I had it on cruise control please let me know your thoughts
Thx

You might expect to be looking at 21kwh of usage(80 miles at 265wh/mi). And you used about 22% of your ~80kwh battery, which is only 17.6kwh. It sounds like you did considerably better than expected.

Driving at 80mph uses more power because there's much greater air resistance at higher speeds. Try the same trip at 135mph and you'll have to stop to supercharge in the middle!

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
The faster you drive the more power is used. AC/Heat uses power. Sentry uses power. Everything uses power from the battery.

It's important to slowly realize EV cars do not operate the same as gas cars. Everything the Tesla does runs off the battery which means your "miles" will decrease. The optimal speed (from what I've read several areas) is 65mph. Anything faster and the battery drains. I've done many tests and it's proven. I have a weekend home 70 miles from my primary. It's 90% highway. When I drive 80mph the battery drains much faster than when I go 70mph. And if I'm just driving around within town the miles is better.

EV Cars: the slower you drive the better miles you get
Gas Cars: the slower you drive the worse miles you get

EV Cars: the faster you drive the worse miles you you
Gas Cars: the slower you drive the better miles you get

Upvote 0
So yesterday was eye opener for me.. I drove about 80 miles starting with 80% battery at 75 mile/hr and when I return home it was at 58% why did I see battery drop so much. Mylr is a month old got 1423 miles. White with upgraded wheels. I did have the air conditioner on had setting on chill mode. Anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Also notice when I drive 80/miles per hour battery drops faster.. I had it on cruise control please let me know your thoughts
Thx

22% to drive 80 miles would extrapolate to 364 miles per charge.

What is the concern exactly? Isn’t the car rated for something like 330 miles?

• Informative
Reactions: SkyDog
Upvote 0
The faster you drive the more power is used. AC/Heat uses power. Sentry uses power. Everything uses power from the battery.

It's important to slowly realize EV cars do not operate the same as gas cars. Everything the Tesla does runs off the battery which means your "miles" will decrease. The optimal speed (from what I've read several areas) is 65mph. Anything faster and the battery drains. I've done many tests and it's proven. I have a weekend home 70 miles from my primary. It's 90% highway. When I drive 80mph the battery drains much faster than when I go 70mph. And if I'm just driving around within town the miles is better.

EV Cars: the slower you drive the better miles you get
Gas Cars: the slower you drive the worse miles you get

EV Cars: the faster you drive the worse miles you you
Gas Cars: the slower you drive the better miles you get
Wow this is interesting. Thanks for the data!

Upvote 0
The efficiency you are getting is really good. 22% to drive 80 miles gives you an efficiency of 207wh/mi. FYI, very few EVs in the market give you that kinda efficiency let alone CUV EVs. Yes as a new EV driver, it will take some time to adjust. There are couple of ways to monitor it while driving... 1) using the energy panel. works well if you hvae a destination in the nav. 2) using trips stats panel. it will show you your current wh/mi . any thing below ~227 wh/mi is good (above avg efficiency) with your car being 330mi and 75kwh battery pack.

Reactions: Impatel
Upvote 0
Thx
There are a LOT of threads in these forums on range and what impacts it .. you might want to check these. The TL;DR is that, yes, its speed related, energy needs go up with the square of the speed .. that's why the Bugatti Veyron needs 1000hp to get to those crazy speeds. Ever stick you hand out the window at speed? The car is pushing a LOT of air out of the way .. that's why Tesla spend so much time streamlining the car.

The reason you see such a difference compared to an ICE car is that since 80% or more of the ICE energy is wasted as heat the difference in total consumption between speeds is masked by the vast amount of wasted energy at ANY speed.

Reactions: FOD11 and Impatel
Upvote 0
But now that I understand I need to slow down and use AC / heat absolutely when needed.
No, you don't! Argh. It bugs me when people think this. You don't have to drive like your nearsighted granny and freeze or sweat to death in your car. No one is telling you you have to do that. Stomp on it when you want to. Drive like Mario Andretti if you want to. Turn your car into a sauna if you want to. You can do those things. Go ahead and be comfortable and have fun using your car! But you were asking why you weren't matching 1:1 with the EPA RATED MILES on the display. We were just informing you why. The EPA rating method is pretty spartan. It doesn't use any heat or cooling and is pretty low speed. So you can feel free to have fun, but that's why you won't be matching the EPA efficiency while doing that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you all for update I am still trying get hang of it. But now that I understand I need to slow down and use AC / heat absolutely when needed. Still new so please don’t mind my silly questions.
Just drive the car, use the AC and heat however you want, stop to charge when it tells you to, and don't worry about it. We spend WAY too much time worrying about this stuff.

Upvote 0
Just drive the car, use the AC and heat however you want, stop to charge when it tells you to, and don't worry about it. We spend WAY too much time worrying about this stuff.
This. I know it's natural when you're new to the MY to be uncertain and cautious but there is a ton of info on these same concerns here - search a bit and read. You'll be convinced only after your first long trip so start planning one, summer is coming!

Upvote 0
This. I know it's natural when you're new to the MY to be uncertain and cautious but there is a ton of info on these same concerns here - search a bit and read. You'll be convinced only after your first long trip so start planning one, summer is coming!
+1 on that .. plan a trip to get confidence in your judgement of range. Use a tool like A Better Route Planner to figure out charging stops, then see how it all goes. You will soon lose all anxiety and get to enjoy the car even more.

Upvote 0
+1 on that .. plan a trip to get confidence in your judgement of range. Use a tool like A Better Route Planner to figure out charging stops, then see how it all goes. You will soon lose all anxiety and get to enjoy the car even more.

We picked up our car 300 miles from home. Before leaving, I planned our trip back home using A Better Route Planner. It really is a great way to educate youself and gain confidence. It's like driving while sitting at your computer. You can plan theoretical trips you never take.

Have fun!

Reactions: Impatel and DanDi58
Upvote 0