Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got Silk?

Got silk?

• I'm smooth as silk

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • No silk for me yet

Votes: 82 84.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they know of issues, why are they rolling it to cars in service, and brand new delivered cars for new owners? If they are making sure everything is OK, why have they been rolling it to these new AP2 cars for 2+ weeks? It's never taken them 2 weeks to do a slow roll out before.

It's just weird overall.

Note that this particular release(17.24.28) was first reported on June 16, just 6 days ago. 17.22.46 was reported 2 weeks ago, but there was clearly something wrong with that one(per reports and the fact that it was replaced).

If they know of issues, why are they rolling it to cars in service, and brand new delivered cars for new owners? If they are making sure everything is OK, why have they been rolling it to these new AP2 cars for 2+ weeks? It's never taken them 2 weeks to do a slow roll out before.

It's just weird overall.

It really strikes me as them finding multiple bugs. In the historical sense, the second release (17.24) would've been the one that went wide after the first release was just a small guinea pig population. But it almost seems like they found another issue with this update that they want to fix before rolling it out further. It definitely does seem uncharacteristic to go through this twice.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
I recently got 17.24.28 for my AP2 75D, only because I had service from a Tesla Ranger who gave it to me. While I don't yet have a lot of time driving with AP enabled, it does turn smoother on curves. Changing lanes is much more abrupt than before. It takes a sudden turn into the next lane. I prefer the more gradual change of the previous release. Perhaps this is one of the bugs delaying the general release?

It really strikes me as them finding multiple bugs. In the historical sense, the second release (17.24) would've been the one that went wide after the first release was just a small guinea pig population. But it almost seems like they found another issue with this update that they want to fix before rolling it out further. It definitely does seem uncharacteristic to go through this twice.

And the bug is clearly in AP2 cars because it's flying out to AP1 cars.
...Yet they are giving every new owner this broken code. And everyone that goes in for service... So it's not that broken...But too broken for everyone. But not broken enough to halt. And not broken enough to tweet about.

Reactions: calisnow
Note that this particular release(17.24.28) was first reported on June 16, just 6 days ago. 17.22.46 was reported 2 weeks ago, but there was clearly something wrong with that one(per reports and the fact that it was replaced).
I agree, I updated at service to 17.22.46 two weeks ago and it's inconsistent. I think the 17.24.28 is going to be much better... I'll try to go to service an get it tomorrow, and I'll do the same loop I always do as well. An interesting thing about 17.22.46 is that it appears to be learning at times... as though map loading speed or perhaps crowdsourcing is influencing it at times even though the version hasn't changed.... I wish I could truly know the code changes that are occurring to explain the inconsistencies within this same version though...

do you ignore the many people who post on here saying AP2 works great for them? Autosteer works for plenty and is 100% reliable for many. oh autosteer doesn't work for my daily driving so therefore its useless and not ready for primetime!

@tpham07 - I'm not sure what you are suggesting - that I am imaging my personal experiences with AP2 ? That you feel I should be willing to accept a product that has, at times, put my life in danger while disguised as a driver convenience and safety feature ??? Honestly, I'm not going to judge my experiences, or what I should expect of a system, based on what anyone else might be willing to accept - I expect the fully functioning, safe system I paid for, or a reasonable, truthful explanation of why I don't have it yet, and when I might get it. Simple enough request of Tesla.

I drove a 2015 P85DL with AP1 for almost a year before buying my 90D with AP2. AP1 worked amazing for me, and it NEVER tried to steer me into a median or short stop the vehicle while driving at 70 mph, and almost never turned off randomly. My experience with AP2 has been much different - randomly turning off from the mildest curves on the road, and even straight line shut offs, turning into center medians at will, dropping speed by 30+ mph randomly while driving down the freeway, shuttering slightly up and down in speed with no traffic nearby, and very minimal improvements despite the hype with every new update.

My biggest gripe is the hype that precedes every update. "Smooth as silk" ??? That is not a random, generic, hopeful phrase a business owner should use for a system with inconsistent functioning and many possibly dangerous flaws still in it, especially given the poor experiences many owners have had with AP2 up to this point, and the timeline promises that have been exaggerated or ignored without any respect for the money and safety of those who paid for a safe, functioning option as described in the sales literature prior to purchase. Just tell us what is really happening, and most folks would be fine. Let us know it was much more difficult to transition to AP2 than expected, that you are having an issue maintaining a development team, or that each update is a guinea pig - type trial for the owners, in order to gather more data for improvement. But don't try to convince me that Elon actually drove a vehicle through various types of road conditions and was satisfied with the results of the latest updates - that's just garbage, IMHO.

I'm still on 17.17.4 which is giving me motion sickness. HW2 Model S 90D with WiFi @ home and I bought the full autodrive package, so what gives?

Silky update are not being sent via Wifi. Only to cars that went to Service Centers or ranger visits or new deliveries. If you need an upgrade, be aware numerous issues have been reported with silky updates that make 17.17.x versions seems appealing. That being said, 17.26.17 has been reported to be stable but is not being widely distributed. Call Tesla service if you really want it. For 17.17.4 my SC booked an appointment for me to get the update pushed. It ended up going wide about a week later. I expect that once they have a non-buggy version they will send it via wifi and it might be silky smooth (but it could also be buggy -- TACC is once again ghost braking due to a switch from Garmin to TomTom for GPS so the entire GPS whitelist is useless again).

Does the new update 17.26.17 fix the bias towards the middle of the road if there's a guard rail/barrier present? The somewhat crazy lane positioning makes it difficult to use in mild traffic - it puts me dangerously near cars as I pass them in the other lane.

Got 17.26.17 today - big improvement for me over 17.17.4. Steering is smoother, braking too. And it does not sit still as long as before after the car up front accelerates from a stand still - still a bit too long though, making the gap to the car in front still a bit too large in comparison to how it would otherwise be at that speed.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
@tpham07 - I'm not sure what you are suggesting - that I am imaging my personal experiences with AP2 ? That you feel I should be willing to accept a product that has, at times, put my life in danger while disguised as a driver convenience and safety feature ??? Honestly, I'm not going to judge my experiences, or what I should expect of a system, based on what anyone else might be willing to accept - I expect the fully functioning, safe system I paid for, or a reasonable, truthful explanation of why I don't have it yet, and when I might get it. Simple enough request of Tesla.

I drove a 2015 P85DL with AP1 for almost a year before buying my 90D with AP2. AP1 worked amazing for me, and it NEVER tried to steer me into a median or short stop the vehicle while driving at 70 mph, and almost never turned off randomly. My experience with AP2 has been much different - randomly turning off from the mildest curves on the road, and even straight line shut offs, turning into center medians at will, dropping speed by 30+ mph randomly while driving down the freeway, shuttering slightly up and down in speed with no traffic nearby, and very minimal improvements despite the hype with every new update.

My biggest gripe is the hype that precedes every update. "Smooth as silk" ??? That is not a random, generic, hopeful phrase a business owner should use for a system with inconsistent functioning and many possibly dangerous flaws still in it, especially given the poor experiences many owners have had with AP2 up to this point, and the timeline promises that have been exaggerated or ignored without any respect for the money and safety of those who paid for a safe, functioning option as described in the sales literature prior to purchase. Just tell us what is really happening, and most folks would be fine. Let us know it was much more difficult to transition to AP2 than expected, that you are having an issue maintaining a development team, or that each update is a guinea pig - type trial for the owners, in order to gather more data for improvement. But don't try to convince me that Elon actually drove a vehicle through various types of road conditions and was satisfied with the results of the latest updates - that's just garbage, IMHO.

Oh boy, now you're going to get piled on. Didn't you get the memo that no criticism is allowed in the Tesla Motors Cult Forum?

Reactions: cruiserlarry