Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Site no longer works]Got tired of using Tesla.com and EV-CPO to search inventory, so I built my own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm the scroll is still broken and has been for a couple of days straight on Safari mobile (iPhone).

I love the new site, not knocking it but you definitely want to look into that scroll further as it worked fine for me previously.

Ok, I'm not lumping your site into the "big horrible mess" which many sites are migrating to these days. It's just a trend of over-simplification, unintuitive user interfaces, devoid of color and other subtle visual clues to give context, and too much clicking and scrolling required. I'll just give you one very common example of this 'devoid of context' trend, which you claim is an improvement: "Non Buttons."

On your 'filters' page, there's no user feedback or indication that the "Apply Price" (or "Apply Mileage") button does anything, or actually did anything. It's just a grey button. It's always grey. If you change the price ranges, it's still grey. If you click it, it's still grey. If you click and hold, it's still grey. It looks like it's a disabled button, or the UI is just broken. It's always grey and provides no clues to the user that that button is activated to do anything, or actually did anything (accept the user input, filter the results, etc) when clicked. Yup, I guess that's a better user interface, folks!

View attachment 451411

Thanks for the feedback, EV-CPO! I fixed that for you. Let me know what you think.

filter_fix.gif

Reactions: SigNC
Can confirm the scroll is still broken and has been for a couple of days straight on Safari mobile (iPhone).

I love the new site, not knocking it but you definitely want to look into that scroll further as it worked fine for me previously.

Dude! I broke it a couple of days ago... Sorry about that. I did say this was a beta, right? ;)
Here's your fix. Should work in any browser... Here's safari and chrome.

scroll_fix.gif

Thanks for the feedback, EV-CPO! I fixed that for you. Let me know what you think.

Better, thank you.

My question is though, as a "modern" UI designer, why wouldn't this jump out at you like a sore thumb? And it's not just your site, but the same faults/flaws appear on lots of sites these days. This is why I rally so strongly against these new design paradigms. Self-proclaimed UI/UX "experts" build these things in a monochrome bubble, but they just don't work for the users. Ironically, Tesla is among the worst offenders in this department.

Better, thank you.

My question is though, as a "modern" UI designer, why wouldn't this jump out at you like a sore thumb? And it's not just your site, but the same faults/flaws appear on lots of sites these days. This is why I rally so strongly against these new design paradigms. Self-proclaimed UI/UX "experts" build these things in a monochrome bubble, but they just don't work for the users. Ironically, Tesla is among the worst offenders in this department.

I’m not a designer by any means. I have a design background which helps, but I’m a developer full time. I’ve worked for some very design-focused companies like NatGeo, so I've spent a lot of time with front-end frameworks. All of my layout comes from semantic-UI which is just an updated bootstrap. I’ve got a (opinion-warning) decent eye for good design and experience, but I’m not a UI/UX expert. Things do slip by me.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-CPO
EV-CPO used to be the only option, but every single person I've referred to it has commented on how terrible the usability is. @garey is just calling it like it is. Tezz.la looks great. One small thought in regards to sorting is that maybe the ascending/descending buttons are unneeded and a simple up/down arrow can be placed beside the sort by button that you've selected. Tapping on it if it's already selected would invert the sorting. Also another request would be to allow displaying in a simple table layout rather than a grid. When the list gets long, it might be easier to see more data at once.

Thanks for putting this together. Tesla doesn't show all data and the other sites just look terrible. I think you're solving both those problems here.

Thanks @five04
I’ve been considering slimming down the sort order asc/desc buttons. Good idea with making each heading clickable to change sort.

As far as the table view goes, I built the site to get away from the table view. I see the appeal since it takes a ton of scrolling to get through vehicles with my current layout. I have some ideas that don’t incorporate an actual table, but slim down the vehicle cards considerably.

Great feedback. Next on the burner is notifications and some smaller UI enhancements. I will probably incorporate this sort order button idea of yours within the next week.

Reactions: Daniel_6
You should consider changing the thread title. When I originally commented on the thread, I was totally unaware that @EV-CPO was a member here (foolish on my part). Either way, it seems in poor taste to bash his/her site in the thread title given that they are an active member and sponsor.

You should consider changing the thread title. When I originally commented on the thread, I was totally unaware that @EV-CPO was a member here (foolish on my part). Either way, it seems in poor taste to bash his/her site in the thread title given that they are an active member and sponsor.

I don’t disagree that it might appear to some folks as poor taste, but the thread title is an honest statement. I stand behind it, tasteful or not.

Looking to buy LR AWD, any color except red and black. Thanks for looking!!!
I don’t want to deter you from using my site, but you might be able to get what you are looking for if you call a Tesla sales rep. They can hook you up with inventory that is unavailable to us and not shown on the Tesla website. In fact, if you’ve been keeping up with the P3D- thread, you could possibly score a stealth performance right now. Which basically means you get the performance upgrade for not much more than the price of LR AWD.

Reactions: Phlier
I don’t want to deter you from using my site, but you might be able to get what you are looking for if you call a Tesla sales rep. They can hook you up with inventory that is unavailable to us and not shown on the Tesla website. In fact, if you’ve been keeping up with the P3D- thread, you could possibly score a stealth performance right now. Which basically means you get the performance upgrade for not much more than the price of LR AWD.

Hm, interesting idea, I might just do that :) Thank you!

Yes, that's obviously the mobile view of both sites, a point which I already conceded.

Nice cherry picking there.

The layout of EV-CPO has always put me off. Could definitely be upgraded because it looks like a 1999 Excel spreadsheet

It's nice to have a picture of the actual car shown with each listing like on Tesla's CPO site

But right now, no CPO site is helpful because Tesla has zero used cars listed!

Status
Not open for further replies.