Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS, autosteer, autopilot, cruise control fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 model 3 performance w/FSD, picked up 8/2019. This morning, the GPS location stopped updating and my location/arrow was fixed at my home address. Also, the car was unable to display lanes of the road and surrounding cars. Autosteer, autopilot, and even simple cruise control would not function and just said "unavailable". I tried soft resetting and hard resetting (if an actual thing) 4 times without resolution of the issues. I also tried shutting off the car twice without any fix. My Tesla app on my phone also notified me that "Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error". I was able to turn Sentry mode back on from the app, but this happened twice so far this morning.

Any suggestions? I already submitted a service request. Kind of sounds like a hardware issue with multiple systems affected.

I've had this happen a couple times now. Tesla said to power off the car for three minutes (waited for the chat for nearly an hour), and when I went to try this, the car was working as it should before I had the chance to try. The second time I tried a trick I saw on a forum:

When you put the car into reverse, the view is just black with no backup camera. Close the camera view and maybe repeat.

Didn't think that would do anything but I did that once or twice and the car was doing everything it should.

I've had this happen a couple times now. Tesla said to power off the car for three minutes (waited for the chat for nearly an hour), and when I went to try this, the car was working as it should before I had the chance to try. The second time I tried a trick I saw on a forum:

When you put the car into reverse, the view is just black with no backup camera. Close the camera view and maybe repeat.

Didn't think that would do anything but I did that once or twice and the car was doing everything it should.

Thanks for the information. After doing everything I originally posted, all of the features started working again after a certain amount of time, but it wasn’t immediate. I haven’t had it happen in the last 2 days. I just wish I know what caused the issue.

Yes, this is an occasional bug that pops up. Fortunately it doesn't happen often. In the 16 months I've had my car it's happened twice, fixing itself both times within about 15 minutes. It's a bit alarming, but the basic functionality of the car isn't hampered by it, you're still able to drive safely.