Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Ski Rack (minor DIY required) for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I personally don't know however I could ask the supplier.
I think I will definitely be getting one, for winter ski/snowboard but also summer wakeboard/kite surf.

so just before I call them, if anyone has more question drop them here i'll ask everything in one go.

best
A
Thanks for looking into this. FYI, it would seem that they are on vacation until next week. I sent them an Email with some questions:
1.) Does the BackCarrier come with a 2" or 1.25" hitch?
2.) Does the BackBox come with a 7-pin or 4-pin connector?
3.) Is the BackBox connector compatible with North American vehicles?
4.) What material is the BackSupport tubing made from (eg. Steel, aluminum, etc.)? Can you provide a weight for the frame & pole?
5.) How much is shipping to North America?
6.) How long does shipping take for North America?

Can you try to also get answers to the above questions?

I will most likely go with this solution as well. Hoping to get it before my first big snowboarding trip.

Thanks for looking into this. FYI, it would seem that they are on vacation until next week. I sent them an Email with some questions:
1.) Does the BackCarrier come with a 2" or 1.25" hitch?
2.) Does the BackBox come with a 7-pin or 4-pin connector?
3.) Is the BackBox connector compatible with North American vehicles?
4.) What material is the BackSupport tubing made from (eg. Steel, aluminum, etc.)? Can you provide a weight for the frame & pole?
5.) How much is shipping to North America?
6.) How long does shipping take for North America?

Can you try to also get answers to the above questions?

I will most likely go with this solution as well. Hoping to get it before my first big snowboarding trip.

yes, I will try calling them today

Reactions: vandacca
View attachment 208894 View attachment 208891 View attachment 208892 View attachment 208893 I have another roof rack solution that works really well and is maybe more traditional......

Here are a few photos of my roof box config and my ski rack config with the same base support.

I took sea sucker kayak bars and shortened the back one by 11cm. Also switched out as a later upgrade the inner suctioncup on that bar to a smaller one to fit better on the central roof strip.

I use an off the rack ski holder solution that I swap out for a Thule Touring Sport roof box.

When using the ski holder the free FWD works as normal. However, when using the roof box one has to override the censor from the touch screen to open properly. Minor inconvenience considering the benifirs.

Wow! Thanks for posting these. I had been extremely concerned about the FWDoors on the upcoming Model Y, and how it could accommodate my Paddleboard. SeaSucker already has a paddle board rack, so at least I know I won't be screaming to the heavens if the Y does end up with the FWDoors. Whew!

When using the ski holder the free FWD works as normal. However, when using the roof box one has to override the censor from the touch screen to open properly. Minor inconvenience considering the benifirs.

Nice to see that someone tried this. Do the sensors always detect the roof box and the ski rack and prevent the covered FWD from opening?

(I'd opt into these solutions in a heartbeat if I wasn't afraid my kids would forget and open the FWD.)

View attachment 208894 View attachment 208891 View attachment 208892 View attachment 208893 I have another roof rack solution that works really well and is maybe more traditional......

Here are a few photos of my roof box config and my ski rack config with the same base support.

I took sea sucker kayak bars and shortened the back one by 11cm. Also switched out as a later upgrade the inner suctioncup on that bar to a smaller one to fit better on the central roof strip.

I use an off the rack ski holder solution that I swap out for a Thule Touring Sport roof box.

@felixtb Is the smaller replacement suctioncup available from SeaSuckers? Or what cup did you use instead?

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this thread. Since I did buy the towing package, I like the hitch mounted solutions posted here, especially the BackBox enclosed approach for transporting snowboards...but I will wait until I hear more about your experiences with it on the X before I decide to buy anything.

If I end up driving my X to Mammoth this year, I'll probably just keep my boards in a snowboard bag I bought for flights. In the bag, our boards shouldn't take up much of the X's cargo space since I can rest the bag between the seats (6 seat configuration). Still need to get all weather mats though....

Last edited:
I have come up with a ski rack alternative for my Model X that I am very happy with, so I thought I would share.

I had a bunch of roof rack mounted gear for my previous car, including a ski rack, and I already have a hitch mounted, tray style bike rack, so I really didn't want to spend $400 on another hitch bike rack that I wouldn't use, PLUS a ski rack attachment thing, all of which results in a very tall, wobbly, mess on the back of the car, and potential supercharger issues.

So I got a SportRack cargo basket for the hitch, and I was able to easily attach a regular ski rack to it, allowing me to carry 4 snowboards, or skis (might not work if you have really long skis) in a horizontal position behind the car. It's compact, way cheaper, useful for other things as well, and it folds up so you still back into a super charger!

I used a Thule ski rack, and it's attachment straps are mounted to the ski rack with a single bolt, the only thing I had to do was take one off, drill a hole in the aluminum, and move it close in by a few inches so it would fit the SportRack basket. The ski rack will also still work fine on a roof mount if you want.

Here's some pictures:
View attachment 207911 View attachment 207912 View attachment 207913 View attachment 207914 View attachment 207915

I have the Tesla rack and just took a trip to VT from NYC. The range was destroyed by the "sail" in the back lol. I used approx 600 wh/mi on avg going 70mph.

Is it worth switching to your rack style? What has your range impact been like?

Thanks!

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeps17 and mikevbf
@mk9027866 I am sorry I don't have wh usage numbers to report, however I have made the same trip, which includes one supercharger stop, in very similar snowy and cold conditions, both with and without the rack, and I arrived with only a couple percent difference in remaining charge, so I would say very minimal impact on range.

Reactions: mk9027866
I have the Tesla rack and just took a trip to VT from NYC. The range was destroyed by the "sail" in the back lol. I used approx 600 wh/mi on avg going 70mph.

Is it worth switching to your rack style? What has your range impact been like?

Thanks!

Mike
I would wager any solution that keeps the cargo hanging off the back of the vehicle as low (and in the slipstream) as possible behind the vehicle would minimize the usage. The most I've had back there has been 2 bikes (or was it 3?) and I didn't track usage that carefully, but I know it's not great.

I know of a Roadster and S owner has tracked the usage numbers, and I'm trying to remember the exact number but I think it was upwards of a 15% hit.

I made a similar one to your second one last month (sorry forgot to post pics).

Also for anyone who is interested, seasucker now has their pre made ski rack available (finally and at a price).
Ski Rack
The sea sucker rack has been out for a little over a year and works great on the S but is too wide for the X. It would be a major DIY to change the width of that system.

The sea sucker rack has been out for a little over a year and works great on the S but is too wide for the X. It would be a major DIY to change the width of that system.

It's been out of stock since at least march.

Do you have experience using it at high speeds? I made rack with their suction cups that is narrow enough to only block one falcon wing but I'm nervous about highway speeds.