Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10 years to put the wheels in motion for and then deliver the decarbonisation of, well, pretty much everything, and this is the best we have? We are doomed :(

This year was pretty much the last chance to start the process in time, but a virus has knocked the much more damaging longer term threat down the priority list. Luckily all the £££ I spent on insulation in my house will work just as well to keep heat out as warmth in, but I don't know what everyone else is going to do. (I joke really, the human cost of screwing this up in the next 10 years is going to be horrible :( )

Reactions: Cnixon
So it looks like this is actually happening this Autumn..

Green 'flash' number plates to encourage the switching to electric cars and avoid congestion charges

Not fully green, thankfully, but a green “flash” where the EU bar would normally go.

Looks alright to me?

EDIT: Only obvious downsides I can see are that people could put these plates on any car, and access local/national incentives (if they aren’t backed up by ANPR with a database of zero emission vehicles), and the potential increased risk of vandalism by the crowd that think electric vehicles are actually more pollutant. God help us if someone starts saying the cars have 5G in them...
I do think it good to highlight EVs and create awareness as people google “green box on number plate” whilst sat in traffic. But this is far from the idea that EVs becoming “normal” and they’re just another car, not an “EV”.

Reactions: Durzel
also, consultation has concluded now:
Detail of outcome
Outcome to the green number plates for ultra low emission vehicles consultation which states:

• we will implement a UK-wide mechanism which will enable people to spot and differentiate vehicles based on their environmental impact, eligible to vehicles with zero tailpipe emissions
  • will make the the scheme will be non-mandatory, opt-out, available to:
    • new and existing qualifying vehicles
    • eligible cars, vans, taxis, motorbikes, as well as buses, coaches, HGVs
  • that green number plates will consist of a green flash on the left hand side of the number plate

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Durzel
Important to note also that the consultation did consider mirroring the OLEV grant requirements (CO2 of <= 50g/km, able to drive at least 70 miles with zero emissions) and just the less restrictive 50g/km CO2 limit - thus allowing some hybrids - but they went with zero emissions so as to make it easier to maintain.

Mmm.. is there going to be much money spent on this? The change is low impact, it does not affect ANPR (a stated goal), and the burden on getting replacement plates made up will be on the consumer, if they so desire. It is also not mandatory either.

I get that it's not anything of substance, but at the same time if it encourages EV takeup by proxy - e.g. because councils start offering things specifically for EVs - then it is a net positive move.

I'd go as far as to say in context of the sort of money Govt normally wastes on projects this is chicken feed, and is a "quick win".

I do think there is an element of leading by example / showing to others it's workable. I know most people on this forum will dismiss it as a bit silly but we're already invested in the idea whereas many/most others still won't even consider an electric vehicle.

While there's a role for government to encourage it, we do still need people to actually consider the idea in the first place!

Anecdotally, only once I started talking about it with my dad/committed to getting an EV myself has he started seriously considering it for himself - never crossed his mind otherwise!

I suspect some government-funded survey showed that a majority of participants agreed with a statement along the lines of 'a sign on the number plate that clearly distinguishes a 'green' EV would make me more likely to buy an EV in the future'.

I can't see this costing government much, and if it generates a bit of press and provides some 'virtue signalling' for those that might not otherwise be convinced that EVs are better than ICE then I think it is a good idea.

Green number plates get the green light for a zero-emission future

960-green-front-and-rear-number-plates.jpg

s300_960-green-number-plate.jpg

Slightly annoying as I have only had my private plates on for just over 6 months! I’m guessing there will be aftermarket sticker solutions for all the current EV owners.

Last edited:
Quote from old shappsy
"drivers will be encouraged to make the switch to electric vehicles through the introduction of green number plates."

You've really gotta like green...

I simply don't understand this. I don't think I'm alone in think if this is quite literally greenwash.

What a ridiculous concept...how about offering free parking/drive in a bus lane or whatever they want to do but by using anpr tech not a bit of duck tape.

Reactions: CMc1