Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag. But you will need to display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

I don't know why I bother trying Halfords, but against my better judgement I did for this.

After getting through to the (very polite) CS agent at their central number, I had to wait 5 mins while she checked their website (which obv I had already done). I then suggested she ring the store as she clearly had no idea what I was talking about.

Apparently, Halford stores have to order the plates in specially, and they do not do the GB lettering.

For clarity: has anyone actually had green flash plates done with a regulation-standard EV green reflective stripe, confirmed UK legal, with GB lettering (and to BS AU 145e)?

I can confirm that Halfords stores have to order them in and they are not 'made up' in store (probably for the best as they don't always do a good job making them in store by all accounts). The Halfords green plates are aluminium and are made by Hills Numberplates (HHSP). I'm pretty sure Tesla use Hills plates. Hills don't seem to offer the GB option with their green plate.

However, it looks like plate manufacturer Tennants does them: The Green Mile - Tennants UK

So green reflective GB plates are out there - you just need to find a supplier that uses Tennants plates...

Reactions: Obliter8
Thanks a million, I've emailed them.

I can confirm that Halfords stores have to order them in and they are not 'made up' in store (probably for the best as they don't always do a good job making them in store by all accounts). The Halfords green plates are aluminium and are made by Hills Numberplates (HHSP). I'm pretty sure Tesla use Hills plates. Hills don't seem to offer the GB option with their green plate.

However, it looks like plate manufacturer Tennants does them: The Green Mile - Tennants UK

So green reflective GB plates are out there - you just need to find a supplier that uses Tennants plates...

*sigh* From Tennats:

We don’t supply to the general public unfortunately and not aware of any of our customers in south-west UK that supply the EV number plates. The only thing I can suggest to you is to search your local number plate suppliers and contact them, or to look online for suppliers of EV number plates.

Sorry I cant be of more assistance.

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag. But you will need to display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
Malta really surprises me on that one. TBF if you're fixing to drive to Malta or Cyprus in an EV than buying GB stickers is probably the least arduous of your planning tasks!

Reactions: Obliter8
Malta really surprises me on that one. TBF if you're fixing to drive to Malta or Cyprus in an EV than buying GB stickers is probably the least arduous of your planning tasks!

I expect it's law in Malta for all foreign vehicles rather than specific to those from the UK. No reason for the UK government to advise us that we have to display "DE" if we were driving a car registered in Germany, which is probably also the case.

Reactions: Neilio
I’ve looked at these guys. Could you post a photo just want to see what the green colour they’re using looks like

The shade of green from the plates PFC supplied me, isn't the same as the Tesla supplied plates on the 2021 cars that I've seen recently. It is softer, less vivid, and less standout. I can not confirm if it's exactly the right shade of green in a legal sense but it's green..... The shade showing on plate designer tool on PFC website is a fair representation of what you get. Notwithstanding, the variance of monitor colour reproduction....

FYI. I have recently had an MOT with the plates on. The car passed with no mention of or reference to the plates.
I have the GB logo/badge and one of the "EV car" logos/badges added. Been driving around with them on since early Decemeber and have passed many police vehicles without any issues so far..... A real world test perhaps?

It would be great to see more EV owners nailing their colours to mast!

• Informative
Reactions: Arran
I doubt the police give a crap about the shade of green.. they're more concerned you're not trying to evade ANPR by changing the font/spacing.

Can't disagree with that. My aim was only to inform and calm the nervous nellies....

But the ANPR cameras might as @Mark-R 's images show Green number plates

Might some of the potential benefit of green plates may not be available if the automatic cameras/detectors don't pick up the green stripe?

The shade of green from the plates PFC supplied me, isn't the same as the Tesla supplied plates on the 2021 cars that I've seen recently. It is softer, less vivid, and less standout. I can not confirm if it's exactly the right shade of green in a legal sense but it's green..... The shade showing on plate designer tool on PFC website is a fair representation of what you get. Notwithstanding, the variance of monitor colour reproduction....

FYI. I have recently had an MOT with the plates on. The car passed with no mention of or reference to the plates.
I have the GB logo/badge and one of the "EV car" logos/badges added. Been driving around with them on since early Decemeber and have passed many police vehicles without any issues so far..... A real world test perhaps?

It would be great to see more EV owners nailing their colours to mast!

Would you be able to post a picture? Even if you blur out the main plate I'm just curious what the GB one looks like when it's actually fitted :)