Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey interior owners please.. any regrets considering the headboard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
In many of the posts where people ask for design advicein their model S you get a number of people who chime in to say that thestandard headboard color "clashes" or looks a bit odd in anythingbesides black or tan interior. My Model S purchase is still a few months off,but I'm pretty set on getting the Metallic Blue exterior with the Greyinterior. (Although some of the pictures of the Brown, Green, and Dolphin Greylook STUNNING, and sometimes I feel like I should go for those..)

Has anyone who ordered the grey interior regretted it after the fact given thecream colored headboard? My Volt has the black interior and the headliner and APillars are grey and it looks very nice. I agree that a dark headboard is a badidea b/c it makes the interior feel smaller and more cramped, but I'm a littleconcerned that the colors will look strange together.

I also find that pics of the grey interior are not as plentiful online as theblack or tan interiors so it makes it hard to judge. The NYC showroom only hasa black and tan 85 Model S and an orange Roadster with (I think) Grey interiorso you only see a color sample of the Model S Grey interior but you don't seeit on the car.

I will say that from what few pics of the grey leather I have found, I reallylike the color and i especially love how it looks almost smokey white in directsunlight. but most pictures I have seen don’t give u you a sense of theheadliner and the grey together, which is why I come to you.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

The gray is very light. It is a nice contrast to the black carpet, dash, and doors. The contrast with the headliner is not noticeable. The gray is an excellent choice that you will not regret. I had a performance loaner with black leather. I did not like the black as much as the gray

I have a solid white with gray leather and piano black trim. I bought this combination without ever having seen it and I love it. It looks beautiful and elegant. Headliner is a different color than gray but all colors flow so well together that I have not even noticed the change in color going from gray to headliner, even though I am aware they are different colors. I personally do not believe there is any cause to be concerned about gray clashing with headliner color.

Like everyone else has said, it really does not clash. That being said, when I stare at the two colors closely, I wish the headliner did match, but that is not a good enough reason to not get the grey leather which I think is the best interior color.

Multicolor red with grey interior. I have a red BMW 3 cabrio with tan interior, and I like the grey better with the Tesla MC Red. As said above, nice contrast with the black interior, including lacewood trim, nice complement to the red exterior, and no clash whatsoever with the headliner.

I actually picked the grey interior first, and THEN selected my exterior color, because that is how much I loved the grey leather. I actually liked the grey exterior, but I didn't want a grey car in and out, so I went with the grey interior and blue exterior...I love the color contrast or the grey and blue, and I really love the interior grey with matte obeche...It looks so damn good! It's subtle, very calm and zen, not flashy at all. I love it. ZERO regrets. And I think it looks great with the headliner too...I think the tan clashes with the headliner more than the grey does.

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful indeed. I will stick to grey interior for sure...

I'm actually leaning towards adding the carbon-fiber trim. I've never had same on a car b4 b/c manufacturers like Mercedes often charge more for the carbon-fiber and I think paying more a waste of money. I notice that no one who replied paired the grey with carbon-fibor.. Do you guys think it's a bad idea?

As far as the exterior, I kind of have an obsession with the color blue so it is my go-to color for everything. i currently drive a Blue Topaz Chevy Volt and Chevy is discontinuing the color for the 2014 model year (idiots!) -- but again I have a few months to decide as I don't really need a second car in my "stable"...

CMM.

ps.. I meant headliner all along.. I'm still a novice "car guy" and need to study up on my auto-world terminology. Apologies.

Yep, we have the dolphin grey exterior, grey interior, and lacewood. No regrets - we love it!

(Interestingly, we get a ton of "ooohs" and "aaaahs" over the lacewood! SO glad we picked that trim.)

+1 Andrew. I love my grey/grey/lacewood, and always get lots of comments about how unusual the lacewood is. No one even notices the headliner. Not one regret.

I'm actually leaning towards adding the carbon-fiber trim. I've never had same on a car b4 b/c manufacturers like Mercedes often charge more for the carbon-fiber and I think paying more a waste of money. I notice that no one who replied paired the grey with carbon-fibor..

I chose the grey with carbon fiber. Think it looks great. The carbon fiber has a kind of satin finish, not quite matte, or glossy - I like it a lot. Wouldn't have got it if it was glossy.

We just received our car today (Woohoo! S85 with pano). We have the Grey with the Grey Nappa interior. At first, my wife was not pleased with the different color scheme-- but within a few seconds of sitting in the car, we both agreed that it looks just fine-- the different colors actually blend together in a nice scheme. We spent the next several hours taking turns driving around, until we realized it'd been almost 3 hours of driving and it was time to eat.

This is going to be fun! No regrets on the Grey.