Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hack to keep autopilot engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Technicay this is not really a hack, its intended as the point is to ensure you are paying attention (somewhat!) And any change may be seen as valid.

Maybe someone can develop a small mechanical device that you can strap on the steering wheel that moves the thumb wheel up and down every 30 seconds and then you're golden. Like some kids toy or fidget device.

Reactions: JulienW
Yup.

Also, if it helps, think of the torque required as the same as would result if you were to hang your hand from the spoke as if it were dead weight. Not enough to actually disengage AP but enough to feel it turning the wheel against your weight. I’ve gotten so used to doing that from the bottom spoke that, honestly, I’d probably be at risk of falling asleep in that position if I ever let myself drive fatigued (or trusted AP more than a student driver).

This does not work reliably for me. Has not on two Model 3's.

Not a female. No small hands. (LOL).

the easiest thing i find is to either hold the steering wheel gangster style (for LHD L elbow on the door/window and thumb and index finger around the steering wheel. or rest the right elbow on the arm rest and hold the steering wheel loosely on the bottom.
You essentially want to use the weight of your arm to put torque on the steering wheel.

I didn't specify but I generally go across my body with it. In other words, right hand hanging from the lower left spoke (exerting slight left torque) or left hand hanging from the lower right spoke (exerting slight right torque); alternating for comfort. I really don't think it takes much but you have to be willing to let it be dead weight so you're countering AP rather than cooperating with it. Only seems to work one-handed so, if you want to have both hands on the wheel like a good driver, the best technique I can offer is let one hand be heavier than the other every do often.

While the nag is annoying when it happens while you actually have your hands on the wheel, I absolutely disagree with the notion of "hacking" it and, until FSD comes to technical and legal fruition, suggest living with it. If the nag gets to the point where it beeps, that's a sign that the instruments aren't in the visual scan which, even on AP, is just as important as looking outside (good to know what speed it's set itself to and what it's seeing in its periphery).