Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow 6.86" Mini dash display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hansshow F68 - M3LR

After two quick trips, my initial thought is OMG I love this thing! Hopefully no issues pop up.

Installation observations:

Position steering wheel all the way down and all the way extended to remove the top cover.

Remove the two plastic clips from the leather portion of the steering wheel cover, then you can reach inside from the back, pull up firmly, and separate the top portion of the steering wheel cover from the bottom of the housing without using pry tools.

When you assemble the new Hansshow screen steering wheel cover, you can just squeeze firmly on each side to snap it into place. Some of the videos show the people smashing it with their fist, and this is not needed.

I used black Gorilla duct tape to keep the wires in place on top of the dashboard while I assembled the wood cover portion back onto it. Be careful and don’t force it. Here I did seem to lose a couple clips when I tried to put it back on. I didn’t see them or hear them rattling around when I drove it, so I’ll probably just replace them. If anybody knows the part number, let me know.

Do not run the camera cable through the front louvers. I couple of the videos said to do this. The louvers move, and the cable will either jam them or get worn from their operation. Directly above the vents is a soft gasket you can push cable through to access the frunk once the interior pieces have been removed. Picture below....pardon the dirt, it has been pretty sloppy here.

IMG_0040.JPG

I didn’t get any Hansshow gloves with my purchase. Could have definitely used them and I recommend using gloves. My hands gotten roughed up pretty good and there was a little bloodletting as well.

They don’t give you anything to fish the camera line into the vehicle interior. I had an old piece of insulated copper wire I pulled out of some scrap Romex cable. Probably not the best, but just make sure none of the copper wire is exposed on either side. It worked very well. When I installed mine, it actually pulled the nipple from the exterior of the car to the interior when I fished the connector through. I put some silicone around the hole and the wire inside the frunk to seal it up.

Watch a bunch of installation videos. They each have some good points, and a lot of misses as well. None of them is perfect. Seems like there are variations based on model year, model, infotainment CPU, etc.

Random Thoughts

I got this to replace my Ownice T3. I really liked the Ownice T3, but it has two separate WiFi’s. The one that works the Carplay always worked well. There was a second one though that you program through the settings that allows the Tesla you use your cell phone’s hot spot. Without this connection, you would get a “Connection Error” if you tried to use the Tesla voice control for directions, etc.. It would work right about 25% of the time, I think because mine was a 2019 with a weak WiFi built into the passenger mirror. If you wanted to use both Carplay and Tesla’s voice control, I’d have to cycle on my Ownice T3 and cell phone hot spot multiple times which was quite annoying when you’re in a hurry. The Hansshow doesn’t seem to have any such issues. I did like seeing Carplay apps like Waze and Google maps on the larger Tesla screen, but overall overall I'd go with the Hansshow any day of the weak.

With the Hansshow I can use Tesla’s navigation system and a Carplay navigation system at the same time, and they both play through the car’s stereo (I only have the phone connected via Bluetooth to the Tesla). So far, they seem to behave politely and not speak over one another. You also have the option through the Tesla’s Control>Navigation to turn off the Tesla’s voice navigation. This is nice because I have FSD and this gives me the best of both worlds.

The Hansshow screen is definitely brighter than the Tesla screen at night (even at its lowest setting). This doesn’t bother me though as I am developing cataracts and brighter is better. I saw a post where somebody used 20% tint from Wally World to get a better match to the Tesla screen, but I think I’d rather lighten the Tesla screen lol.

The Hansshow screen is very responsive. I haven’t noticed any lags between it and my phone (this was sometimes a problem with the Ownice T3, especially with Waze).

It is a little awkward to reach around the steering wheel to access the screen, especially while driving. The icons to switch from Carplay, are little bit smaller than I would like, and sometimes hard to see….once I had to skip a song to be able to see them clearly while in Carplay.

I have USS so it is really cool to have the front camera come automatically when you near an object. These cars have limited clearance, so it would be easy to scrape the lower valance against a parking curb. Tesla should really have this built into their cars. Hopefully the camera won’t get broken, because I don’t see replacements listed anywhere.

You can pick the color for your car in the setup for the Hansshow screen. Hurray!

If you have an Iphone you can use Shortcuts, and Shortcuts>Automations to launch your music and the the initial volume...example below.
IMG_0042.PNG

IMG_0043.PNG

Right now, you can get it for $210.00. For me I think it’s money well spent just for the front camera option.

Reactions: Jaceq and sparxxxy
Looks like they answered me regarding the internal speakr not working.
Their answer was that my hardware revision of F68 does not support the internal speaker. I think this is bullshit as I made it work for a couple of seconds.
It seems that the phone doesn't stay connected with the F68 over bluetooth (only for two seconds and than disconnects). I assume that carplay works over wifi and it doesn't need bluetooth.

Looks like they answered me regarding the internal speakr not working.
Their answer was that my hardware revision of F68 does not support the internal speaker. I think this is bullshit as I made it work for a couple of seconds.
It seems that the phone doesn't stay connected with the F68 over bluetooth (only for two seconds and than disconnects). I assume that carplay works over wifi and it doesn't need bluetooth.
Why do you want to use the internal speaker? For navigation?

With some Apple Music playing on the f68, If you go into the Bluetooth connection and turn off CarPlay, the internal speaker works but then you lose Carplay of course. But it shows that the speaker works.

It can not support simultaneous CarPlay and audio which is absurd as that’s how it is supposed to work. A reviewer on this forum with a video on YouTube has the internal speaker working just fine.

Hansshow has a problem and needs to provide an update.

IMG_1170.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got mine from them directly and I still had to remove the center console to get power from the phone charger connector. I have a 2023 MYP Hardware 4 AMD. Perhaps it's just the Intel cars that no longer need the center console removed. Either that or I got old inventory.
I just received a behind the wheel screen from hannshow a few weeks ago. And 2 additional items. This is the 8.8 visible screen. I’ve been very dissatisfied with hannshow and their lack of support and customer service. I’ll be back to write a more thorough review as I give them a chance to rectify their problem before I completely trash them. Let’s just say I don’t recommend using them unless you are protected through PayPal.

I will give some kudos to whoever I messaged with in WhatsApp with Tesla. They were knowledgeable and fairly easy to understand. The thing is....why did it take almost 2 weeks ( and only after escalating a payment dispute ) to get a simple response that answered the question of why I couldn't get sound from the internal speaker? And why not list it in the features that it no longer works this way? I don't know why they changed the circuit board (so they claim) or if it's their way of ignoring a manufacturing defect? You'd think if it was a software glitch they'd just have said wait for a future update.

What are some other comparable dash screens like the F68? I think that’s the one I want, but it’s not ideal. Still blocks the AC vent, but the new version doesn’t require the center console to be taken apart.
I’m looking at the unit from TMA. It’s modular and upgradable and definitely has better software. Plus built in working speaker of course.

For me though it’s a lot more money for just really wanting Waze. Front camera is nice but I don’t need. So I’m still not decided.

I’m looking at the unit from TMA. It’s modular and upgradable and definitely has better software. Plus built in working speaker of course.

For me though it’s a lot more money for just really wanting Waze. Front camera is nice but I don’t need. So I’m still not decided.
my brother has the TMA and I must say the software on the Hansshow is much much better. UI is so much better and looks more like Tesla OEM.

Aesthetically perhaps but feature wise it seems to offer a bit more. I haven’t paid much attention to the UIs as I’ll most likely never use them as it’ll be CarPlay/Waze full time for me.

Either way, I’m not seeing any additional features worth paying that much more than the Hansshow…even with TMA having internal speaker. So price wise I do think Hansshow is a good deal…especially for people like me just wanting Waze and front camera.

TMA being modular is nice and just being able to upgrade the circuit board is nice but other than the recent addition of android/carplay I don’t see that having further use other than perhaps swapping a bad screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparxxxy
I wrote on WhatsApp yesterday. Maybe I am impatient ;) My problem is that the device suddenly restored factory settings (I think - lost all the config and set language to Chinese) and from that time there's no camera view. Everything else works fine. I'll try to reconnect the camera cable - maybe it helps.
I have finally received a response from Hansshow support. They wrote to me on WhatsApp. There is a hidden menu where you can select the camera type (!). In the camera view, press and hold the left part of the screen until a list of camera types appears. The default camera type is 720p. I changed it to 1080p and the camera view works again :)

That would be nice if they did. They insisted it can’t because they changed the circuit board. I tried to see if they could get me the older one but they said it’s no longer available.

Definitely a downside and enough that I wont keep it so they are accepting my return.

I’m gonna take one for the team. lol. Ordered this one to try and easily returnable being to Amazon.

Bigger screen that will let air through nicer than an F9. Built in speaker, touch screen, steering wheel control, brightness syncs with Tesla screen.

No camera but don’t care about that. I didn’t find it particularly useful on F68.

Price is nice at $219

CarThree 8 Inch Head Up Display for Tesla Model 3 2017-2023 Model Y 2019-2023 with Wireless Apple Carplay & Wireless Android Auto Bluetooth WiFi Navigation Power Speed IPS HD Touchscreen Amazon.com