Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All jokes aside, Elon will respond to this.
I'll be holding you to it, sea insect

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Wow, actually a very well researched and accurate article. Usually these miss or misrepresent many points, but this was a very accurate overall description of the situation. The even make the point that Tesla's disclaimer makes it sound like all the system needs is some validation and it is good to go...

Only thing I'd disagree with a bit is what was promised for EAP - the story makes it sound like a series of updates to get the promised features, but indeed it was represented as one update in the important Design Studio...

Alas, I clearly haven't been posting the EAP image enough. Lesson learned.

Reactions: croman and NerdUno
Wow, actually a very well researched and accurate article. Usually these miss or misrepresent many points, but this was a very accurate overall description of the situation. The even make the point that Tesla's disclaimer makes it sound like all the system needs is some validation and it is good to go...

Only thing I'd disagree with a bit is what was promised for EAP - the story makes it sound like a series of updates to get the promised features, but indeed it was represented as one update in the important Design Studio...

Alas, I clearly haven't been posting the EAP image enough. Lesson learned.
Is this enough to save your entire salary this month? You've got less material to work with than usual the last couple days. I have an idea - try adding some posts about how you updated to .40 or .42 and the car misbehaved in some very disappointing way that it didn't for the rest of us.

Is this enough to save your entire salary this month? You've got less material to work with than usual the last couple days. I have an idea - try adding some posts about how you updated to .40 or .42 and the car misbehaved in some very disappointing way that it didn't for the rest of us.

Question: Are you really suggesting people have made up their bad experiences with AP2? Seriously? Or is it just me who has made them up, in your view?

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
I have an idea - try adding some posts about how you updated to .40 or .42 and the car misbehaved in some very disappointing way that it didn't for the rest of us.

+1000

2017.42 highway, at least in the route I take once a month yesterday, was really stable.

Detractors will soon have to find some other angle to float their Fake Views.

FWIW, here is my report on .36, which of course @calisnow completely ignored, as he ignored @bonnie vouching for me. Once more for old time's sake: I don't work or invest or have any connections to the automotive industry at all. I have less conflicts than most on this forum as I don't even own TSLA, never have. As it happens, my experiences as posted on TMC are my own, as a two-time Tesla owner.

These were posted earlier in October:
So, @Tam and @Pale_Rider, since we've discussed AP2 steering and nags in previous threads I thought I'd post an update.

Over the weekend I took my Model X (2017.36, latest available for my car) on a highway that has a Supercharger alongside it. I thought maybe this stretch of road would be better "learned", if there indeed is such learning going on. I assume there is some learning at least on overpasses and ghostbraking...

As you recall, AP2 for me is an unreliable piece of crap on the local stretches of highway and some surface streets I usually test it on. For example, I've had divided-highway incidents of AP2 following tar lines towards concrete walls (ignoring clear lane markings) and following (white-marked) lead cars to adjacent lanes and then disengaging...

I already reported that @Pale_Rider's suggestion to keep just one hand on the wheel helps with getting rid of the nags - and mostly it does. Not 100%, but I would say a massive improvement - to the tune of 95% perhaps.

Turns out, it was better steering-wise too and pretty much in every way. EAP was actually pretty nice on this road.

There is no difference in road quality, markings or the like compared to my local roads. If anything, weather was worse than I usually test on. But I guess it must be a more traversed road by Teslas, because I had no ghost brakings from overpasses (only a few from cars in adjacent lanes in curves) and the steering was solid almost all of the time.

Or maybe there was just some other, unknown quality to the road or conditions that was better for EAP...

If THAT trip was my only expeirence with AP2, I might join the choir of saying people are just making the negative experiences up...

Some other notes: I saw cars on adjacent lanes in the IC when changing lanes, but not otherwise. I did not see any blue lead cars. :) I did not see any separation by car type on the IC and definitely no recognition of traffic signs, simply an outdated database.

I look forward to seeing what, if anything, 2017.40 does on this...

That said, it does take more than 4 days with AP2 to see what's what. :)

I've been asked to weigh in on the kerfuffle erupting. Forgive me for some rambling, on my first cup of coffee.

I had an issue with AR discussing me (instead of posts) in the past. In fact, that tendency to pick me apart is probably at the root of why I have minimal interaction today. However, that said ... I'm going to do that. :) I have reason to believe that AR is who he says he is. I think his Pavlov tendency to defend an outlier has gotten him drawn into this.

If I had to hazard a guess (and certainly his private info to share), I'd guess he's likely a scientist of some type (or should have been). My experience in managing scientists vs. engineers points to something like this. Engineers were straightforward. Scientists wanted more data, more data MORE before being willing to commit to an opinion. So I learned to manage that. (Anyone managing scientists, pm me. I have advice. All works great!)

@AnxietyRanger, not that you're asking for my advice -- but if, in your musings, you were willing to attach a 'level of confidence' to the different things you say, it might make a difference. Instead of saying 'we must consider all sides' and implying that all sides have equal weight, how about saying 'I have a low level of confidence that this might be the answer, but am unwilling to throw out the possibility'? Or 'I have an approximately 80% level of confidence, having [this] data would allow me to raise/lower my confidence'. I think that approach would be better tolerated by the general forum & would allow you to keep all opinions on the table - but properly weighted so that people actually can see what your opinion is.

As for the other person in this discussion ... I've been convinced for a long time that he has other (clear) motivations for showing up on this forum. I have zero idea regarding the theory being thrown out here, but would ask this: What difference does it make if he's a disgruntled former Mobileeye employee or part of a managed team? The result is the same. And by responding to him, no matter who he is, you give him validation.

(On the other hand, I recognize the 'fresh meat' aspect of all this -- hard to argue that one post is written by a different person. So don't let me ruin the fun!)

I don't have any counter-examples on .40, the experience remains as it has been so far. .42 I do not have yet.

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing
So I'm not sure what part you found the need to disagree with in my last post here, @AnxietyRanger. Can't be my stating .42 was more stable than any of the 13 releases I've had to date, or my opinion some on TMC seem to have ulterior motives, key being my opinion. At times it feels as if the tag team effort that those who seem to have nothing other than the need to disparage everything about a fledgling company, that makes posting on TMC a challenge.

Will be interesting to see your take on the latest update. I promise not to disagree with it.

So I'm not sure what part you found the need to disagree with in my last post here, @AnxietyRanger. Can't be my stating .42 was more stable than any of the 13 releases I've had to date, or my opinion some on TMC seem to have ulterior motives, key being my opinion. At times it feels as if the tag team effort that those who seem to have nothing other than the need to disparage everything about a fledgling company, that makes posting on TMC a challenge.

Will be interesting to see your take on the latest update. I promise not to disagree with it.

@Joe F It is possible you're not aware of the conversation you stumbled into. :) If so, all is forgotten. But to clarify, this is what I responded to:

@calisnow posted his insult (#311) on me being a paid poster and suggested to get some new "material" I post disparaging and presumably invented (given that he assumes my report would differ from everyone else) comments from the latest AP2 updates.

Emphasis mine:
I have an idea - try adding some posts about how you updated to .40 or .42 and the car misbehaved in some very disappointing way that it didn't for the rest of us.

Your response quoted that bit @calisnow and then included this:
Detractors will soon have to find some other angle to float their Fake Views.

That is what I disagreed with, given that you seemed to agree with @calisnow on targeting myself for detracting with fake views. My disagree seems obvious to me, obviously I disagree with any such characterization of me, because it is not true.

I have no experience on .42 yet and too little on .40 to report anything new.

Last edited:
Lets stop the useless and petty attacks. They are really annoying and not in line with the terms of use of this site.

I was very vocally upset with EAP and how it was, in my opinion, duplicitously presented by Tesla in 2016. Once 2017 rolled out, Q1 we all started realizing the true nature of what Tesla had sold.

Now, I am finally seeing some massive improvement. I'm not happy, per se, but I am no longer very displeased with my purchase. I still am miffed Tesla conducts business in such a shady manner but really, the only gripe I have, is related to how EAP/FSD was sold. I'm fine with the product and I even didn't mind the deficient earlier releases because I knew it was new tech and wouldn't operate like AP1 (though I was told to expect parity and we still haven't gotten that).

So all in all, it is what is. Personal attacks are not helpful nor germane. Similarly, reposting the same attacks and otherwise not contributing are also useless. So those that are unhappy with EAP, we get it. Unless there is something new to add, just leave it alone. @calisnow , do your best to act like a grown up and stop attacking @AnxietyRanger because we get it. We really do. You think he's a paid shill. Come back with proof or leave it be. Thanks.

Lets all focus on the changes that are finally happening and how Andrej Karpathy is restoring trust and confidence in AP again.

Now @croman makes a nice point abot focusing on changes that are happening. Good or bad, focusing on new things sounds like a good idea. This aligns well with my personal frustration on the partisan nature of many of these conversations - there is very little point in entrenched debates. Once things have reached that point, they are better left be. Focus on new things.

I have been trying to let many conversations be, and then there are threads where my absence is called out by the opposing tag-team. ;) I could just ignore those, many I do, but flesh is weak. Look, guys, if you don't mind, let's just leave the entrenched positions and move on. Our opinions are what they are. And for heaven's sake when some of tries to do that, let's not lure them in with a well-timed insult at least. Let's just leave those contentious topics be, where possible... We should be applauding those who are letting them be. :)

Mind you, I don't mind brutal disagreements with my views when I post them. That's fair enough and comes with the territory of an enthusiast forum. I would just ask the courtesy of not making stuff up about me or posting insults, though. I don't think that's asking too much. Say I'm wrong, if you think so. Say I'm (too) negative, if you think so. All perfectly fine. Fair enough. (Continuously calling/insinuating me being a paid shill, though? Fake poster? Not cool.)

But MAYBE even better, perhaps more of the time we can just let those entrenched things be altogether. Some debates have reached a point where there just isn't much more point to them IMO between the same people. I look forward to some nicer conversations, personally, in any case.

As for the car, I definitely bought into EAP+FSD because I want them - and I want them to work. The sooner there is major progress in this area, the better. We shall see.

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Question: Are you really suggesting people have made up their bad experiences with AP2? Seriously? Or is it just me who has made them up, in your view?
No - I'm not. AP2 .34 was not as good as .40. There are only two people on this forum I remain convinced are professionals paid to spread FUD - blader and you. Your posting patterns are almost as predictable as the sun rising in the east. @NerdUno does not smack of being fake. But you - yes. Whether or not you own a Tesla is not really relevant. The wave of positive reports on .40 and .42 came out - and you didn't say anything positive. You didn't "like" any reports of the improved performance. You appeared to pause in your posts for a day or two as though searching - and then you found solid ground again from which to post anti-Tesla things again - pointing out the weakness of ultrasonic sensors and enthusiastically endorsing the quality of a negative press article. Your behavior is not normal but entirely fits the profile of a professional influencer. And there is almost a duty to point out your posts because you are more sophisticated and subtle than a blader or an oktane. Unless one reads you carefully your pattern and theme are not clear. I'm not insulting you. Not one bit. But some of us were quietly waiting to see how you would react to the wave of positive .40 and .42 reports. You did not disappoint...

Last edited: