Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never understood why the Germans are such failures at interface design - but they always have been.

I know. My acronym for SAP: Stifle's All Productivity.

At first I thought the video was an SNL skit. I don't understand German, but I'd swear those speaking and applauding were thrilled at the "advancements" they were witnessing.

Nice people, they make great beer, but that dog and pony show was an embarrassment.

Thought bubble over the operator probably should read: "Ach du lieber, I must get a different job!"

Seriously guys... really?

Mercedes

BMW - 1m 5s

I'm never wrong...when will u guys get this?

But i gotta give it to the tesla bubble.. Tesla is literally 3 years behind yet everyone thinks they are ahead.

Pure Classic!
I should note that Tesla's summon remote parking feature was released in January 9, 2016 to consumers with the 7.1 update. One extra feature that others noted was that it also opened the garage door.
Summon Your Tesla from Your Phone
Firmware 7.1

While BMW demonstrated a remote parking system earlier in 2015, it never hit the US until the 2017 model year (second half of 2016), although they got NHTSA approval for the feature in January 2016.
BMW Demonstrates 2016 7-Series’ Remote Control Parking [w/Video]
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/bmw-response-01042016.pdf
Actually, BMW 7 Series cars already sold in the US won't get self-parking
BMW 2017 7 Series Remote Control Parking

@AnxietyRanger can probably check when the European release date for the remote parking feature was (I would imagine Germany would be first). All I could find was that sales was supposed to begin in October 2015 for the generation of 7 series that was supposed to have that feature, but wasn't able to find out when the feature was actually released as an option.

The E-Class's version was not released until the 2017 model year worldwide, so is later than both Tesla and BMW.

I should note that Tesla's summon remote parking feature was released in January 9, 2016 to consumers with the 7.1 update. One extra feature that others noted was that it also opened the garage door.
Firmware 7.1

While BMW demonstrated a remote parking system earlier in 2015, it never hit the US until the 2017 model year (second half of 2016), although they got NHTSA approval for the feature in January 2016.

@AnxietyRanger can probably check when the European release date for the remote parking feature was (I would imagine Germany would be first). All I could find was that sales was supposed to begin in October 2015 for the generation of 7 series that was supposed to have that feature, but wasn't able to find out when the feature was actually released as an option.

The E-Class's version was not released until the 2017 model year worldwide, so is later than both Tesla and BMW.

Looks like you are out of your elements again and didnt watch my video which wont be surprising that a tesla fan never cares about evidence.

Tesla doesnt have a "summon parking" feature. They have a "summon go forward and backwards" feature.

Go and actually watch the video. Mercedes and bmw are the only ones currently with remote parking feature and have had it in customers hands since 2015.

They also had a summon feature called "exploration mode" (which goes forward and backwards) which is different from the remote parking feature. There are two different feature and tesla doesnt have the remote parking feature which bmw, mercedes have.

Let that sink in stopcrazyppl!

• Informative
Reactions: oktane and Kant.Ing
That is true, the separating thing in the Germans is the parking feature (think parallel and perpendicular) - not just to garage feature.

I'll hate to look at the release dates. Truth be told, I had completely missed Mercedes' progress on this. BMW I had seen but forgotten. :D

I find all of these functions, no matter the manufacture fairly questionable in untility. I can see using summon to extract my car from a spot when someone parks too close. I cannot fathom why I would want to exit my vehicle, stand there in the elements, make sure no one runs over me, and park my $100k+ car into a spot that is too tight to begin with. I can accomplish the same thing sitting inside the climate controller cabin of my car, where no one can run over me with the auto park found in any number of cars...

Extracting a car from a tight garage, parking spot is useful. Parking while I have to stand next to the car is a gimmick. I don’t care who came up with the gimmick first, it is still just a marketing bullet point that no one would really use except on dealer parking lots and on YouTube...

Exactly. I can't imagine the circumstance where I would stand behind and to the left of my car and then spin wheels on my phone for 60 seconds trying to get my car to back out of its space (looking all the while like I'm trying to trap a Pokemon in Pokemon Go....). I have, however, walked out of the side door of my house, pressing summon on the way out, so my car is sitting outside of the garage on and waiting for me when I arrive. I self park all the time from inside the car. With one touch. Hmmmmmmm....

Exactly. I can't imagine the circumstance where I would stand behind and to the left of my car and then spin wheels on my phone for 60 seconds trying to get my car to back out of its space (looking all the while like I'm trying to trap a Pokemon in Pokemon Go....). I have, however, walked out of the side door of my house, pressing summon on the way out, so my car is sitting outside of the garage on and waiting for me when I arrive. I self park all the time from inside the car. With one touch. Hmmmmmmm....

One would use remote auto-parking for the same reasons you would in your garage... no...? Because the spot is too tight to get out?

One would use remote auto-parking for the same reasons you would in your garage... no...? Because the spot is too tight to get out?

I wouldn’t park my $100k+ car in a spot that was too tight in public. In my garage, I don’t have to worry about people banging their doors into my car. Yes, I am that guy who parks way out in the middle of no where. Of course half the time someone manages to park next to me anyway, but that’s another story. Lol

Seriously guys... really?

Mercedes

BMW - 1m 5s

I'm never wrong...when will u guys get this?

But i gotta give it to the tesla bubble.. Tesla is literally 3 years behind yet everyone thinks they are ahead.

Pure Classic!
Ahhhhh hahahahhaha. Credibility went on the crapper bladerskb, That’s exactly what I mean, not ahead in any way

I find all of these functions, no matter the manufacture fairly questionable in untility. I can see using summon to extract my car from a spot when someone parks too close. I cannot fathom why I would want to exit my vehicle, stand there in the elements, make sure no one runs over me, and park my $100k+ car into a spot that is too tight to begin with. I can accomplish the same thing sitting inside the climate controller cabin of my car, where no one can run over me with the auto park found in any number of cars...

Extracting a car from a tight garage, parking spot is useful. Parking while I have to stand next to the car is a gimmick. I don’t care who came up with the gimmick first, it is still just a marketing bullet point that no one would really use except on dealer parking lots and on YouTube...

My motorcycle gets parked between the car and the garage door, so each morning when I leave home (and the inverse when I get home) I have to open the garage door, move the motorcycle, get in the car, pull out of the garage, put the motorcycle back in the garage, then close the garage door.

With autopark / summon it'll be "open garage, unplug car, move motorcycle, car moves self, move motorcycle, get in car and leave"

Is it substantially fewer steps? Nope. But it's going to save a decent amount of annoyance.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I wouldn’t park my $100k+ car in a spot that was too tight in public. In my garage, I don’t have to worry about people banging their doors into my car. Yes, I am that guy who parks way out in the middle of no where. Of course half the time someone manages to park next to me anyway, but that’s another story. Lol

Me too. But I don't assume all are like you and me. :)

Parallel remote parking (unless fully autonomous so you can just leave) I don't see a benefit in. But perpendicular, why not. I might even use it if it was a tight spot between fixed walls for example (where one would have to park perpendicular), not cars...

Look, I get your point, but I don't see this completely pointless. We shall see over time...

Me too. But I don't assume all are like you and me. :)

Parallel remote parking (unless fully autonomous so you can just leave) I don't see a benefit in. But perpendicular, why not. I might even use it if it was a tight spot between fixed walls for example (where one would have to park perpendicular), not cars...

Look, I get your point, but I don't see this completely pointless. We shall see over time...
True, it isn’t pointless, just of limited utility and we are arguing about who's limited utility feature came out first and is better. It was that conversation I found pointless when there are so many more actually interesting details about technology we could be talking about. Lol

I'm biased though, I’d never have my car back out of the garage for me. At best it is no different than me getting into my car in the garage and at worst it’s raining on me instead. Lol

Now, if any of these systems can drop me off at the enterance of the grocery store and go park itself somewhere (away from everyone else lol) and then come pick me up, I’d be very interested. In inclement weather anyway. If the weather is nice, I need to not be lazy and just walk to and from the car...lol

I
Firmware 7.1

I had to watch the Mercedes video again when I got home because I love having seizures induced by laughter....

I swear to god, I lose my shiiiit when I see that lady step out of the car and do swirllies on her phone for 5 minutes while she waits for the car to auto park.

HAHAHAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey Blader, do you have anymore of these advanced videos of Cars autoparking? I want to forward them to Tesla so I can request an easter egg where I have to finger bang my phone for 5 minutes.

Looks like you are out of your elements again and didnt watch my video which wont be surprising that a tesla fan never cares about evidence.

Tesla doesnt have a "summon parking" feature. They have a "summon go forward and backwards" feature.

Go and actually watch the video. Mercedes and bmw are the only ones currently with remote parking feature and have had it in customers hands since 2015.

They also had a summon feature called "exploration mode" (which goes forward and backwards) which is different from the remote parking feature. There are two different feature and tesla doesnt have the remote parking feature which bmw, mercedes have.

Let that sink in stopcrazyppl!
That looks pretty useless if you have to swirl your phone the whole time. Much easier to just park the car yourself. Besides, the fact the car has to run a gasoline engine to propel itself throughout the maneuver totally ruins it for me, no matter how well it can park itself.

Summon could be a tremendously useful feature - if it worked with > 50% reliability and IF Tesla takes responsibility for any damage caused by their faulty hardware/software combination.

I do use it sometimes, but have to watch it carefully to prevent disaster. Too many posts already with scrapes and damage. I just hope no injuries result from this feature.