Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll weigh in, since I recently struggled with the same question. My recommendation is one of these 2:
1) Base model with autopilot only
2) Base model + next gen seats + premium interior.
Agree on this, if you ordered leather chair, then premium interior will match the leather color you choose. otherwise, I don't know if they will provide color choice on premium interior with normal seats (black only?).

BTW, $1500 premium interior is not a standalone option right now, it's a combo with following add-ons:
It's like $1500 for premium interior like you mentioned before, and another $1500 for other stuff.

The HEPA is good in theory but hard to notice, power liftgate is very useful and led fog lights too.
Quick phone dock is gimmick though.

upload_2016-8-1_12-49-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-1_12-49-15.png
    upload_2016-8-1_12-49-15.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 45
I'll weigh in, since I recently struggled with the same question. My recommendation is one of these 2:
1) Base model with autopilot only
2) Base model + next gen seats + premium interior.

The reason for the above, is that the textile seats are trimmed in vinyl, and the non-premium interior is trimmed in vinyl on the lower dash, top of doors, door armrests, and console armrests. Choosing premium interior, adds features but also changes the vinyl covered parts mentioned to leather.

If you only want the leather seats, then all that vinyl is a poor match to the nice seat material. Conversely, if you want one of the features in the premium interior, then the vinyl on the textile seats is a poor match for the nice armrests, etc.

The premium interior is a lot of value for the asking price. Price a few Porsche options on their website...I think you can get the HVAC vent louvers covered in leather for $1500 :) I chose to get premium, and then applied the next-gen seats to match the material as mentioned above (option 2). Added $5.5k total, and I am very happy with it. Option 1) would have also been great, and reduced my price by 8%... significant, but not enough savings to justify the demerits for me.

FYI, The base car has front seat heaters, so unless you will regularly have rear passengers or need a warm wheel, I think it's poor value even here in the snow belt.
FYI: you only get the leather trim with the Premium Interior Package if you order the next gen seats. I was going to order my car with PIP and textile seats but after I found out that you don't get the leather armrests and other trim I ended up getting the PIP and the next gen seats.

One of the reasons I'm getting all options is not because I want them all, however it appears to me that a fully optioned car is very easy to sell.
This is a bad reason.

1. I would get a car optioned the way I wanted it, not for resale value. You'll be using the car, why would you pay for more options just because you're worried about resale value?
2. If the only reason you're getting a fully loaded car is for resale purposes: you're losing a lot of money. Options get devalued very fast, so essentially you're spending a ton of money on options you don't want/need (today), to later sell it at a huge loss on those options (years later).

"Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?"

Only you can answer this question... MS70 driver with only 2 options: nextgen seats and titanium color. No AP (tested for 30 days, did not care for it; off to put on my anti-flame suit :) ) The only option I wish I had is the power liftgate, but was not willing to pay for entire package to get it.

One possible strategy is to initially buy the car with physical options only, and then decide later if the "unlocks" are needed. Stuff like the color and motor setup can't be easily changed later. (I acknowledge that wrapping and DYI hacking and installing new motors is possible -- but costly and possibly inconvenient) However, unlockable features are still an option in the future.

So for example:

Take the Model S 60 kWh RWD.

I would upgrade for:

Metallic paint (+1k), Black and white cars are tough to keep clean. Titanium or gray doesn't show road grime as easily.
glass roof (+1.5k), The glass roof is necessary for roof rack attachments.
sub-zero package (+1k). Seat heaters can help preserve energy in the winter.

That's 62k after federal tax incentives.

I have the option to later upgrade:

Battery to 75 kWh (+9k reflecting $500 premium over factory enable)
Autopilot (+3k reflecting $500 premium over factory)
High Amp charger (+1.9k reflecting $400 premium over factory)

That saves me 12.5k upfront, or about 17% of the cost of the car. Based on current use patterns, I don't need these options now or in the foreseeable future. If my situation changes, I can pay for the instant upgrades.

This is a bad reason.

1. I would get a car optioned the way I wanted it, not for resale value. You'll be using the car, why would you pay for more options just because you're worried about resale value?
2. If the only reason you're getting a fully loaded car is for resale purposes: you're losing a lot of money. Options get devalued very fast, so essentially you're spending a ton of money on options you don't want/need (today), to later sell it at a huge loss on those options (years later).
Oh...wait. I'm not worried about anything. Its all good.

I will probably use some of the options. I just noticed on the Tesla website itself that the M6's that are fully loaded ALWAYS go first.

I can afford all of the options. Its fine. I was just about to purchase a MX before the M≡ exposed itself. I'll just hold on to my M6 till the ≡ arrives.

I'm not going to change my mind on the resale piece. For whatever reason, people like to buy loaded vehicles. Don't ask me to explain it...they just do. I'm not trying to make sense of it - I just know it to be true. $ $30K for options isn't a ton of money. If I walk away from the M≡ purchase at $65K....That would be excellent. Again I was just about to purchase a MX that started at $76K.

Last edited:
Don't ask me to explain it...they just do. I'm not trying to make sense of it - I just know it to be true.
Ah, yes, remind me not to argue with you in the future.

Anyways, whatever floats your boat. I'll repeat what I said, and I'm done with this topic. If you want to spend $30k on options that you want/need/will use - perfect, go for it, more power to you. If you want to spend $30k on options that will depreciate faster than the car does, and you'll never use them, and are only getting them to be able to sell your car for an additional $5-10k beyond base model many years down the road, then it's a silly reason. I know you don't care, but other people do read the forums.

Ah, yes, remind me not to argue with you in the future.

Anyways, whatever floats your boat. I'll repeat what I said, and I'm done with this topic. If you want to spend $30k on options that you want/need/will use - perfect, go for it, more power to you. If you want to spend $30k on options that will depreciate faster than the car does, and you'll never use them, and are only getting them to be able to sell your car for an additional $5-10k beyond base model many years down the road, then it's a silly reason. I know you don't care, but other people do read the forums.
Well there is no sense in arguing in the first place. I didn't call it arguing.

Since he is done with this thread...does anyone understand what he means by....other people do read these forums.?

I purchased a S60 with only the autopilot and pano sunroof. Standard seats were recommended to me because we have a toddler. Nextgen seats and air suspension were being considered but ultimately did not see the value of $2.5k for each.

I'm happy with the car so far and do not miss any of the available options we passed on.

I'm done with this topic.
Since he is done with this thread
Not the thread, the topic. Topic = it's a good idea to buy a fully loaded M3 only due to resale value.

does anyone understand what he means by....other people do read these forums.?
I didn't want someone uninformed coming to read your comment, thinking it's "the" way to do things; let people come to their own informed decision, reading comments from both sides (i.e. I think it's the wrong way to do it). That was the only thing I meant by that.

does anyone understand what he means by....other people do read these forums.
Yes, he (obviously?) means that the point he is making is potentially relevant to people other than you, so even if you're not interested
in hearing it it is still worth making. Fwiw, I totally agree with @Max*. It is well-known that options depreciate faster that the base vehicle -- so well known that Tesla's buy-back guarantee program explicitly depreciates options faster than the vehicle itself. My recent experience is that the world of used car sales has changed fundamentally with the internet: there is now a buyer for every car; the only
variable is price.

Not the thread, the topic. Topic = it's a good idea to buy a fully loaded M3 only due to resale value.

I didn't want someone uninformed coming to read your comment, thinking it's "the" way to do things; let people come to their own informed decision, reading comments from both sides (i.e. I think it's the wrong way to do it). That was the only thing I meant by that.
Everyone here provides their opinions. Mine differs from yours....that's fine in my opinion.

I plan on buying a model Y with the possibility of selling or trading in my ≡. It is a true fact that a pristinely fully loaded car will sell much faster than a base model. Just like a lease. My assumption is that if you are able to buy a car you are either an adult or you are rich. Neither of which I am terribly concerned about influencing. Again...its a truth. I'm not making it up.
What's the danger? People overspending for a car? People know their budgets.

We are adults.....do what you think is best. I find that this works best for me.

Yes, he (obviously?) means that the point he is making is potentially relevant to people other than you, so even if you're not interested
in hearing it it is still worth making. Fwiw, I totally agree with @Max*. It is well-known that options depreciate faster that the base vehicle -- so well known that Tesla's buy-back guarantee program explicitly depreciates options faster than the vehicle itself. My recent experience is that the world of used car sales has changed fundamentally with the internet: there is now a buyer for every car; the only
variable is price.
I agree, however depreciation is not a concern of mine. My only point is this: I want to get rid of my car FAST when I want to sell it. I don't even want to put a for sale sign on it. I want it gone. The economics of it is not important to me. I have done many people favors by providing what I know for them are fantastic deals on cars. I'm happy to do it and they are happy to receive it. I have never had anyone ask me about the depreciation of options when they are buying a car from me. For me depreciation is a paper/economic factor. Much like home equity is for the person who never sells their house.

The base Model S of 2012 vs the loaded Model S of 2012. There were 2 of each available on the Tesla website 2 weeks ago. Then last week a 3rd fully loaded came on board. All 3 loaded cars have been sold. The base models are still there. I'm not making that happen. When a fully loaded car is only $5K more ( Depreciated or not) than a base model......the loaded model will sell.

Now you might say that the loaded model cost 30K more when purchased...so the base model seller is making more money on the deal. I really don't care about that. I'm not looking to make money on a sale. I'm just trying to get rid of my car FAST.

It is nonsense to say you care about speed of sale only and not price, since you can sell any car arbitrarily fast simply by lowering the price sufficiently. It is always a balance between the two. Also, if you're so concerned about ease/speed of selling, why not just trade it in? What could be faster or easier?
Ok...I see that's as far as we are going to get in this discussion. I'm not going to get into personal insults.