Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Superchargers and Supercharging Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please folks, for anyone using the Harris Ranch single Supercharger, go into the store and sign in at the desk with your cell number. I arrived Saturday evening to a car plugged in, a second Model S waiting, and then me. Nobody knew when the original car plugged in or how long it had been there. We waited almost an hour before they showed up after eating at the steak house across the street. I have no idea if they were plugged in for 2 hours or more. Anyway, until they open the 6 chargers, we really need to think about everyone else.

Even with multiple chargers at all the other locations, we will start to see those fill up as well. Seems like there needs to be some common etiquette like maybe leaving a card on your dash with your cell number? That might work for now so that at least you can be contacted in case a line is forming. However, I don't understand how the Superchargers were created without the following features built in:

1. The ability for me to see how many units are available or in use at any location in real time - on my Model S screen, and on my phone app.

2. The ability to reserve a charger ahead of time, based on my GPS location being within 50 miles (or something) of the charger location. I should be able to do this from the Model S and the phone app.

3. The ability to go to a central screen at the charger location and sign up for a spot (assuming all currently in use), thus keeping everyone in order based on reservations or walk up sign ups. I really think this will be more of a problem VERY soon - I bet this calendar year. I drove from San Jose to Los Angeles and back on Saturday and met up with 7 other Model S drivers at Harris Ranch and Tejon in one day. Somehow, this central screen (system) would be able to automatically call and text the next person in the queue. Maybe each person needs to input how many miles they are charging for when they plugin, this would allow the system to be even more accurate on wait times for everyone in the queue, or people on the way. This all seems pretty simple really, but if it's not done now, it will lead to major issues when there are 6 cars charging and 8 cars queued up, and nobody really knows the order in which they arrived. Tesla needs to think big on this before we have 20,000 cars roaming around in several more months.

@ISF - This is a really hard problem to solve. For example, what if I make a reservation for 6pm on friday, but I am late because of traffic. Do I get pushed back to the end of the line? What if I arrive 25 minutes late and someone 5 minutes later has a reservation, do I get kicked out? What if they're reserved for the next X hours. Too many edge cases. You couldn't keep everyone happy no matter what rules were imposed. I think Tesla won't do anything because nothing they can do will be fair or enforceable.

On Friday night, I put my phone number on a card and left it on my window. But, not everyone is going to do this. Just as you mentioned, as more people start using them it'll be that much harder to get people to do anything that isn't obvious. I didn't even know there was a place to put my name down inside the convenient store.

I like your idea about an info screen that can call/text other drivers. Something along those lines could be useful. It really sucks sitting at a used charging station and not knowing where the guy is.

Even with multiple chargers at all the other locations, we will start to see those fill up as well. Seems like there needs to be some common etiquette like maybe leaving a card on your dash with your cell number? That might work for now so that at least you can be contacted in case a line is forming. However, I don't understand how the Superchargers were created without the following features built in:

1. The ability for me to see how many units are available or in use at any location in real time - on my Model S screen, and on my phone app.

2. The ability to reserve a charger ahead of time, based on my GPS location being within 50 miles (or something) of the charger location. I should be able to do this from the Model S and the phone app.

3. The ability to go to a central screen at the charger location and sign up for a spot (assuming all currently in use), thus keeping everyone in order based on reservations or walk up sign ups. I really think this will be more of a problem VERY soon - I bet this calendar year. I drove from San Jose to Los Angeles and back on Saturday and met up with 7 other Model S drivers at Harris Ranch and Tejon in one day. Somehow, this central screen (system) would be able to automatically call and text the next person in the queue. Maybe each person needs to input how many miles they are charging for when they plugin, this would allow the system to be even more accurate on wait times for everyone in the queue, or people on the way. This all seems pretty simple really, but if it's not done now, it will lead to major issues when there are 6 cars charging and 8 cars queued up, and nobody really knows the order in which they arrived. Tesla needs to think big on this before we have 20,000 cars roaming around in several more months.

I've been to the Gilroy superchargers on four separate occasions and all four bays were full at some point during three of those visits. But I only witnessed one person that had to wait- and the wait time was only about 5 minutes. Things seem to work pretty well with four charge bays and there is a lot of turnover. And if one person is being a jerk and leaves their car plugged in long after it is done, odds are the other three people will be more reasonable. I never saw multiple people waiting for a spot, but staying in your car and parking in the "on deck circle" (my name for the spot next to the leftmost charging bay) would be a pretty good way to indicate who is next.

Since things are in constant flux, I'm not sure a reservation system would be such a good idea. Having all the chargers in use seems better than having them sit unused while waiting for the reservation holder. But they definitely should add real time availability to the smartphone app or a web site.

Since things are in constant flux, I'm not sure a reservation system would be such a good idea. Having all the chargers in use seems better than having them sit unused while waiting for the reservation holder. But they definitely should add real time availability to the smartphone app or a web site.

I agree, no reservations in advance. But you should be able to reserve a spot in the queue when you arrive, so you'll know when it's your turn. Also it would be nice to be able to view the charge rates and SOC of all the cars currently charging.

@ISF - This is a really hard problem to solve. For example, what if I make a reservation for 6pm on friday, but I am late because of traffic. Do I get pushed back to the end of the line? What if I arrive 25 minutes late and someone 5 minutes later has a reservation, do I get kicked out? What if they're reserved for the next X hours. Too many edge cases. You couldn't keep everyone happy no matter what rules were imposed. I think Tesla won't do anything because nothing they can do will be fair or enforceable.

It's very easy for software to handle all of your questions. The proper way to deal with it is requiring each person to define how many miles they need to charge BEFORE they plug in. This would allow the software to be able to gauge who is next and approximately how long until that time will hit. If you arrive late, then the system pushes up one person ahead of you, assuming a charger is free. Reservations would not guarantee a specific time - they would guarantee a position in line based on when you arrive. Unless you are late, then the system would bump you down the list one at a time. Again, to set a reservation, you would have to be within X miles of the charger location, based on your car's GPS. Maybe we just leave the reservation part off - it would make it a bit more fair for people to sign up when they arrive. BUT, it would help everyone to be able to be driving down the road and see what chargers are in use and what the queue looks like.

Instead of reservations ahead of time, maybe it's just a way to "get on the arrival list" with an approximate time, that way everyone can see roughly how long the queue could be at any particular time and plan accordingly. You would still need to sign in when you arrive. OK, thinking out loud, I like this better.

In viewing some of the other responses, keep in mind I'm not talking about this situation right now (except Harris Ranch), I'm talking by the end of the year. If there are 3000 cars registered in CA now, and I ran across 7 of them within about 14 hours, it will definitely get bad at stations with 4-6 chargers months down the road.

I'm having a hard time understanding the constant overflow of MS' waiting to use the superchargers. Aren't these facilities only really meant for people performing long road trips? Are these many cars really travelling such long distances? Forgive my ignorance as I've never really traveled through CA so I perhaps I'm completely off base and people generally commute such long distances.

I'm having a hard time understanding the constant overflow of MS' waiting to use the superchargers. Aren't these facilities only really meant for people performing long road trips? Are these many cars really travelling such long distances? Forgive my ignorance as I've never really traveled through CA so I perhaps I'm completely off base and people generally commute such long distances.

It's a pretty common road trip. Plus, Harris ranch is the stop that you must make unless you drive 65mph or slower to make it to the next stop. On this particular highway 75mph is doable, but 95% of the cars are passing you still.

In addition to what tdiggity said, a lot of Model S owners who live in southern California pick up their cars at the factory in Fremont and drive them back home.

But in general, trips between the SF bay area and southern California are really common. I've made that drive more times than I can count in a conventional car. And I'm planning my first trip along that route on my way to Vegas in a few weeks. So I really hope PG&E gets on the ball and hooks up the new supercharger stalls at Harris ranch!

All six new superchargers are now online at Harris ranch!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365293314.569997.jpg