Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone else lost news stations on TuneIn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just this week I can no longer load news stations (CNN, MSNBC, etc.). I have a paid connectivity subscription and can play music and other media on TuneIn but get a loading error with all news stations except ABC. Anyone else experiencing or know how to fix?

Read my post here: TuneIn Radio “Loading Error”. From what I understand, stations are switching their streams from HTTP to HTTPS (secure). The Tesla TuneIn app can apparently only play HTTP streams. In my case, I had to contact the streaming stations support person for 181.fm and he was able to update all their stations streams (over 80) to include the HTTP and HTTPS in their wrapper which allowed them to play in my '17 Tesla Model S. He worked with the TuneIn support person to get everything working. I also contacted Tesla about the issue and they told me to reboot. I assume they are still not allowing HTTPS streams.

Are any TuneIn stations working in your car? CNN and MSNBC played fine in my Tesla last night. When I had my 181.fm issue, I had multiple local Tesla owners confirm it also did not work in their car. I just tried CNN, MSNBC, Fox Radio News, CNBC, and Bloomberg Radio and they all played using TuneIn in my car. I did get Loading Error once on MSNBC. I clicked the refresh icon and it played. Since my car is in my garage connected to wifi, I disabled it to test using 4G. Do you have a strong 4G signal? Maybe try double scroll wheel reboot?

MSNBC has been problematic for a couple of weeks now and cnn usually works. I’m seeing long load times for those stations when they do work. Also, is it me or is the the sound level on CNN super low compared to other stations?

Yes, CNN volume (when it used to work) was always low, a jolt when you switch to a music station.

So I decided to email TuneIn customer support, since I figured Tesla is a big contract for them and they want to keep Tesla subscribers happy. I got a prompt response requesting additional details, noting that they are aware of the issue and are "on it." Hopefully they can fix on their end.

Reactions: EVNation and drew.c
For me, it's my local NPR station KAZU that has stopped working some months ago. This week, I contacted TuneIn support and provided several links to threads in this forum (including this one) documenting the issues and various stations that are failing in our Teslas.

This is the response I received:
Thanks for confirming, we reproduced the problem on our test unit here as well, and we'll work with Tesla to investigate, but we don't have an ETA on a fix. In the meantime you can stream the station via bluetooth from your smartphone. Feel free to reach out again in a few weeks if the issue persists. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.
Thank you for your time and patience, we appreciate your support of TuneIn.

Meanwhile, I tried contacting Tesla but the old customer service email address now kicks back a "This email address is no longer monitored" message and directions to refer to the web site for commonly asked questions. The alternative is to use the chat feature to "Ask a question" which leads to a chat window to "connect with a Tesla expert". I'll try sending a message about this issue this way as well though.

Just this week I can no longer load news stations (CNN, MSNBC, etc.). I have a paid connectivity subscription and can play music and other media on TuneIn but get a loading error with all news stations except ABC. Anyone else experiencing or know how to fix?
I had this problem. Reported it to Service, and they reloaded the last software update. No problems since.

I have also lost MSNBC in the last couple of weeks. I can get CNN, but when I switch to MSNBC all it does is pulse the play icon. I have rebooted a couple of times with no change. I can still stream MSNBC via my phone running YouTubeTV, but that's a pain. I'm hoping for a fix soon.

I've also been having trouble with MSNBC for a few weeks. There is always a "loading error" initially or if I try it when first getting in the car. If I seriously want to get it, I select CNN for a bit (which always loads without trouble). After a minute or two, I switch to MSNBC which will load and play normally for the rest of my trip.

I also may be having more trouble selecting MSNBC from "favorites" than from popular local stations -- makes no sense, I know, so it may be my imagination. I have tried deleting it from favorites and putting it back but that didn't change anything.

I think I discovered the problem and the solution.
I suspect they changed their station URLs, so your existing icons for the stations (whether in your favorites or not) no longer work.
BUT, if you just go back on the bottom menu to streaming and search TuneIn for the stations, the new icons should work.
It worked for me, now getting CNN and MSNBC no problem, no more spinning circle or could not load error messages.

• Informative
Reactions: drklain
I picked up my Model Y on September 27, and I’ve had this problem with CNN, MSNBC, and some other news stations since day 1. The weird thing is, every 10th time or so that I try, it works. It’s disappointing to see folks have been posting about this problem for over two years, because that means Tesla amd Tunein likely know about it, so why not just fix it? Especially if the problem is just http vs https?