Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the quality of Tesla service gone into the toilet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they would lose control of the customer experience completely.
Right now, even if it's not perfect, they are able to work to make it better. If they used dealerships it would be much harder to keep those dealerships up to their desired standard. Ie. now if they have a bad employee they can fire them, but they wouldn't be able to fire a dealer's employee.

Agreed. Franchised dealers may help in the short term but they will almost certainly make the situation worse in the long term.

Hey gang -- a little data might help to bring some context to overall service levels at Tesla. For the past two months, the Tesla service team has set all-time records for service satisfaction -- both globally and in North America. I'm super proud of the team for their performance. They have taken the bar set for the industry and raised it higher.

However, that doesn't mean that we're perfect. Far from it -- many of you know that if you have a particularly difficult situation, you can private message me here and we'll dive in to help you, and also to learn to see if anything is systemic that we can correct.

@Troy -- your analysis is fundamentally flawed. It's not service center count that defines capacity. It's square footage, number of technicians and number of shifts. For example, in your analysis a smaller service center in a small market counts the same as a very large service center. It shouldn't.

We've rolled out Fast Lanes to quickly address quick repairs, multiple shifts and a more sophisticated repair process. All with the goal of maximizing owner happiness. We're psyched to be pleasing customers at record levels in service. Again, we're not perfect and we learn from your feedback, so please keep it coming.

--Jon@tesla

All is now well. I've been traveling for the past few days but did get an email response yesterday, The Rockville Service Manager called me today to discuss the problem and arrange service, I get a loaner on Tuesday morning when my car is picked up by a Ranger.

My faith is restored.

As it was an outlier based on my experience withTesla service, I consider this just an anomaly for a company that has consistently provided outstanding support for me.

Meanwhile in Norway, which Elon previously talked about as a exhibition window for high density of Teslas, the waiting time for service is now up to 5 months.
I scheduled my appointment in April, and eventually got a date in late August after many emails. The afternoon before my appointment I got a call postponing the service to late September.

Count me in the group that has stopped recommending Tesla to friends.
Shame, cause I still love my car and believe in Tesla's vision.
They really need to get this sorted...

I'm a new owner and had an issue with the wiper blades. Took it into the Dublin, CA service center and they fixed the issue within minutes. I even got charged up while there. Granted, I may have gotten lucky and gone in on a day when they were not busy.

Contrast that with my visit to a Ford dealership recently. I had called to confirm they knew what I needed done and set up a day to bring in my old Fusion Energi. Just happened to line up so I could drop it off while on the way to do the Fremont factory tour and take delivery of my Model S. When I got there, they acted like they had never heard of the warranty I purchased from Ford (which is prominently advertised on their website). Also told me I had to take the car somewhere else. When I talked to the same person I spoke with on the phone even he was confused and sent me elsewhere.

Any issue you may have had with Tesla, just remember the old traditional auto dealerships are worse (at least in the US)

I had the problem with the Nav showing my car far away. SC first told me that it was caused by a USB device I had connected to the charge ports. I explained that couldn't be the problem, that it happened when nothing was plugged in. They nthen found a problem with the GPS antenna connection. They replaced the rear window which includes the GPS antenna and that fixed the problem.

I had a door handle fail within 2 weeks of owning the car. I noticed a few things about Tesla service:
1) The people in the main call center are friendly/polite, but don't really seem to know a lot about the car - I described my problem as "the door handle does not work from outside, but I can open the door from in the car" and you would've thought I was speaking a different language.
2) You have to be active about seeking follow-up - Anytime you are told "someone will call you," if it doesn't happen within 2 hours you need to call back.
3) Have one or two people you fall back on - I have the local ranger's cell phone number and I have resorted to emailing my DS on occasion as I know he will respond in 24 hours with some kind of solution/advancement

Others have said before that the main problem seems to be that no one is willing to just say "I'm not sure, but if you hold on a moment I will find out who does." As a result there's a lot of misinformation given and expectations for follow-up which don't occur. That being said, the service has been pretty good once I get hold of the right people. The ranger did end up coming to my workplace (and later home) to fix the problem without causing me any further hassle. I've never had any other expensive/luxury car so that alone was more than I've ever experienced. Hopefully I'll never be put in a position where I need a loaner or other serious help, but I do have faith it will be handled relatively well

I'm a bit dubious about dealer repairs. I took my current non-Tesla car to the dealer for some repairs. Looked at the bill and it included $60 for tightening a bolt.
Tesla's hourly shop rate is among the highest around, so don't expect it to be better at Tesla. So far tons is under warranty or goodwill, but don't expect that to continue

There is no need whatsoever for franchised dealers. Tesla does not have a sales problem. What they do need however is to allow third party and diy repair. This would take a huge load off the service centres all while making people happier.
Release the service details, parts, and software and quit fighting against your own customers!

This...of course the average shop isn't going to be interested in Tesla repairs, but maybe, just maybe you might start to see dedicated "EV" repair shops which might cover Leafs, Volts, Teslas, Energi twins, i3s, etc. Of course the kicker is that majority of these are still under the factory warranties so the market is still tiny. I would expect to see them crop up in the California area first and everywhere else gets them about 200 years later.

Reactions: davidc18
My biggest problem has been that no one ever calls back. I have 5 local friends who are Tesla owners and we have all experienced the same thing. It doesn't matter how many phone messages you leave or emails you send, the Tampa service center never returns a call.

I asked for a call from the manager to discuss a concern that I had before buying the $4000 extended service agreement. That was a month before my 50K service. No return call so I didn't buy it. The car is now out of warranty so I'm dreading the next time I have to deal with Tesla especially service now that I will have to pay for it.

Hey gang -- a little data might help to bring some context to overall service levels at Tesla. For the past two months, the Tesla service team has set all-time records for service satisfaction -- both globally and in North America. I'm super proud of the team for their performance. They have taken the bar set for the industry and raised it higher.

Are these from internal metrics or the result of independent research, if the latter and if it is public can you point us to it?

This...of course the average shop isn't going to be interested in Tesla repairs, but maybe, just maybe you might start to see dedicated "EV" repair shops which might cover Leafs, Volts, Teslas, Energi twins, i3s, etc.
I think you'd be surprised. The average shop these days deal with hybrid vehicles all the time, so they're already used to dealing with the high voltage system and electric motors, The Tesla is even easier as they have no engine or transmission to deal with.
The only reason they don't want to touch them now is they can't get parts or information, make those available and they'd happily work on any vehicle.

As for warranty, you're correct that most are still under warranty, but that doesn't mean that all issues are covered by warranty. And even if the issues are covered by warranty, it might be in Tesla's best interest to contract some of that warranty work out to other shops, especially in places where they don't have service centres.

@Troy -- your analysis is fundamentally flawed. It's not service center count that defines capacity. It's square footage, number of technicians and number of shifts. For example, in your analysis a smaller service center in a small market counts the same as a very large service center. It shouldn't.

I wasn't trying to compare countries to each other but I understand that it might have appeared that way because all countries were listed in the same table. The aim was to compare different quarters for the same country. I have now made major changes to how the data is presented. I also added more data:
Tesla Service Center Stats
If somebody has more feedback, I suggest writing in that thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: PtG62901
I had the problem with the Nav showing my car far away. SC first told me that it was caused by a USB device I had connected to the charge ports. I explained that couldn't be the problem, that it happened when nothing was plugged in. They nthen found a problem with the GPS antenna connection. They replaced the rear window which includes the GPS antenna and that fixed the problem.

Good, if it isn't the MCU that causes the navigation issue. I had the Volt fail the same way (car in lakes, etc.), and was told it was a "gyro". That part is in the media unit, which they just replace entirely, for $480. Tesla's MCU is several thousand dollars, and from navigation problems with a 2012 I did witness one replaced in a previous MS. Again, glad this wasn't a dash board dissection.

The lack of serviceable parts is hopefully not going to be an issue that sinks used values. Other parts prices have fallen, but to be like other brands Tesla needs the cottage industry of independents to take what it shouldn't want to deal with. It isn't just a lot of cars scaling with square feet. It's older cars, that really shouldn't be seeing any of that square feet. They shouldn't regardless of a Model 3 explosion that's about to happen, but I sense the plan is to "keep it all in house".

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Having one falcon wing door seal replaced and a scratched appliqué on the top of Model X replaced took 8 weeks. Part availability and the need to re-do the appliqué was part of the reason it took so long. The benefit of having the vehicle sit at the service center were all the extra updates being accomplished. New plastic stuffed into frunk area channels decrease wind noise. Software now ignores sensors and gets the falcon wings to close. Visors were modified. These new features are appreciated.

I just wish that the new falcon wing door seal didn't leak! Appears the top edge doesn't allow wash water to enter the channel that flows to the outside but rather ends up on the wheel well and on the carpet. Model X will return to the Service Center on Monday. Time marches on.

Meanwhile in Norway, which Elon previously talked about as a exhibition window for high density of Teslas, the waiting time for service is now up to 5 months.
I scheduled my appointment in April, and eventually got a date in late August after many emails. The afternoon before my appointment I got a call postponing the service to late September.

Count me in the group that has stopped recommending Tesla to friends.
Shame, cause I still love my car and believe in Tesla's vision.
They really need to get this sorted...
Yes, its interesting to see that 3-4weeks waiting is considered really bad in the US:) we would be cheering out of joy and celebrating in the streets for such a short waiting period!

Here in Norway we regularly see people reporting 3-6months waiting for service appointments as well as non-critical repairs covered by warranty... Sadly its more towards 6months on average it seems. And as mentioned you still risk getting your appointment postponed at the last second....

Seems like they are still suffering from fixing way to many old production issues at the sevice centers.

It seems like the simplest way to scale service centers would be to add second and third shifts of techs to work on cars all night long. But we do need more centers nationwide, just so it isn't such a long distance between them. Hopefully they get this all scaled up before our model 3 arrives, or we are all in big trouble.