Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has uncorking made other owners jaded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never bought a car because of its 0-60 times and only traded in my 85D for my 100D for the extra range. Since I have only needed to legitimately use 0-60 in under 5 seconds LOL in my 100D less times than I can count on one hand It doesn't bother me one bit that Tesla has offered uncorking to the 75's. That is probably the reason my 21" tires lasted almost 25k miles on my 100D as well. ;) Now if they come back and say your 75 is now a 100.....that will be a different story :eek:....

Not totally. What about the 100D cars?

But would you pay an additional $20k for the additional range? The exact 75D car that was an option before I upgraded to the 100D would have roughly the same performance now. As I mentioned earlier, I justified the additional $$ based on performance AND range. Had it been just range I would have picked differently for the money.
This is exactly where I am at right now. I am paralyzed by a congenital inability to pay $19.5k more for the same increase in battery capacity that only cost $10k between the 60 & 85, and only $9k between the Model 3 LR & SR (and only $16.5k in the Model X), while getting nothing else of compensatory value for that $19.5k. Yet I need the extra range where I live and travel to. It's enough mental stress that I ponder saying, "Screw it. I'll just get the Model 3 LR for the same range as the S100D and save $50k". Especially when Elon promised the Model S would also have more advanced tech than the Model 3, be longer range, and have better performance—and so far, 2/3 of those are not currently true.

Last edited:
I was a lucky beneficiary of the recent 75D uncorking which brought the 0-60 time down to 4.2 seconds. While I could not be happier, I started wondering whether 90D and 100D owners felt any resentment? This question stems from analyzing the 0-60 times across the Model S family: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

To my surprise, the uncorked 75D 0-60 time is equivalent to or superior to pretty much all Model S's except the Performance + Dual motor variants - which generally cost substantially more. Personally, I place far more importance on performance than range (within reason of course) - and as a result feel like I really came out ahead.

There's clearly a lot of enthusiasm across the Tesla community from the uncorking news but are there folks who feel otherwise?
You sticking it? Feels like you're sticking it...

Attachments

• cedfc023df2195d2bc138b931cee0e8f.jpg
    cedfc023df2195d2bc138b931cee0e8f.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 73
  • Funny
Reactions: ohmman
This is exactly where I am at right now. I am paralyzed by a congenital inability to pay $19.5k more for the same increase in battery capacity that only cost $10k between the 60 & 85, and only $9k between the Model 3 LR & SR (and only $16.5k in the Model X), while getting nothing else of compensatory value for that $19.5k. Yet I need the extra range where I live and travel to. It's enough mental stress that I ponder saying, "Screw it. I'll just get the Model 3 LR for the same range as the S100D and save $50k". Especially when Elon promised the Model S would also have more advanced tech than the Model 3, be longer range, and have better performance—and so far, 2/3 of those are not currently true.
THIS IS the best route to take financially of course.The model 3 lr d model will be a total hit compared ti
o the s model..tech wise and style wise.

I bought my 90D for the range, not the acceleration. The 0-60 is fun, but I would be just as happy if it wasn't as quick. I still have 298 miles at 100% charge, so I would only be upset if the 75D suddenly got a lot more range. And even then not much. I'm happy with what I've got, there are Teslas with features my car doesn't have and the big battery cars have more range. Oh well, my car is still better than anything else available out there.

I am jealous on your 100% range. My S90D was delivered on 12/27/16 and after owning the car for 6 months with about 3,900 miles, the 100% dropped to 291 miles. Unfortunately the service center said that this is not abnormal.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that the RWD 75 would not get uncorked as well when I first read about it.

But then again, I’m quite happy with my current acceleration, and if I wanted performance I should have spend money on that instead of some of the other options.

So I’ll just stick to being happy for the 75D owners, and hope the next thing that comes along will benefit all of us.
I'm still disappointed that the RWD 75 did not get uncorked as well (although I am happy for those with 75D). I had hopes that Tesla would uncork the 75 RWD as well, but I don't think that's going to happen unfortunately.

Reactions: croman and Lodo1000
I'm still disappointed that the RWD 75 did not get uncorked as well (although I am happy for those with 75D). I had hopes that Tesla would uncork the 75 RWD as well, but I don't think that's going to happen unfortunately.

Truthfully, after that "newly uncorked shine" wears off, it's not that big of a deal. The uncorking is nice and all, but it fades quickly when you SOC drops below 85% or so. Also, that boost goes away right after 60 MPH or so since the 350v battery just can't deliver like the 400v 100 battery.

Imagine buying a S90D with a range of 298 miles at 100% range, and 4.2 seconds from 0-60. Then consider you paid $19,000 more than an equivalent S75D and Tesla uncorks the S75D to have the same performance as the S90D.

Less than a month after my car was delivered, they discontinued the S90D when they announced the S100D. The also say that I cannot replace my 90 Kw battery with a 100 Kw battery, and I think this is a lot of BS. Yes the Tesla is the best car I have ever owned, but I am not happy with some of Tesla's decisions.

Imagine buying a S90D with a range of 298 miles at 100% range, and 4.2 seconds from 0-60. Then consider you paid $19,000 more than an equivalent S75D and Tesla uncorks the S75D to have the same performance as the S90D.

Less than a month after my car was delivered, they discontinued the S90D when they announced the S100D. The also say that I cannot replace my 90 Kw battery with a 100 Kw battery, and I think this is a lot of BS. Yes the Tesla is the best car I have ever owned, but I am not happy with some of Tesla's decisions.
Why does what someone else got change how you feel about what you got? You got what you wanted at the price you were willing to pay for it. In life you make decisions based on information you have at the time and you don't go back regretting or resenting people. Are you kicking yourself for not buying bitcoins instead of the Tesla Model S? Those who spent the same money as you did on your S90D buying bitcoin instead, today can sell the bitcoin, buy a P100D and still have about a million dollars left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenius
Why does what someone else got change how you feel about what you got. You got what you wanted at the price you were willing to pay for it. In life you make decisions based on information you have at the time and you don't go back regretting or resenting people. Are you kicking yourself for not buying bitcoins instead of the Tesla Model S? Those who spent the same money as you did on your S90D buying bitcoin instead, today can sell the bitcoin, buy a P100D and still have about a million dollars left.
I think you’re missing the mark with this comment. One of the huge benefits of owning a Tesla is that your car gets better with time. It’s only natural to hold out hope that your car will benefit from an update and then subsequently feel disappointment if a large subset of owners get an improvement but you don’t.

I think you’re missing the mark with this comment. One of the huge benefits of owning a Tesla is that your car gets better with time. It’s only natural to hold out hope that your car will benefit from an update and then subsequently feel disappointment if a large subset of owners get an improvement but you don’t.
First, it's not like other S90D owners got the update but once got singled out. It was 75D owners who got it, a different car, at a different price. If Roadster got the update, would S90D have the same issue? What if a Leaf got a performance boost?
Second, nowhere does it say that your car will get any and every improvement Tesla ever puts in their cars. S90D by the way simply got the uncorking since day one (S85D's got it few months after initial release, over the air).
So I still don't get it. I have a P85D and I paid $5K for its uncorking, yet I have no problem with 75D getting it for free (and yes, I have one of those too, but that's not why - I don't feel in any way resentful that people who bought after me and got free air suspension or the fact that I had to pay for the power liftgate which is now free).

Did anyone really ever expect the 0-60 time to improve on a car that you have already purchased and taken delivery of?

We can agree to disagree, you are arguing for the sake of arguing. It’s clear that you don’t care what happens with others cars and that’s fine. But if you dig deep, I’m sure you can figure out why others might care.
Hard disagree with you that @whitex is arguing for the sake of arguing. @whitex has done an excellent job of respectfully making his good points.

• Disagree
Reactions: S100D
Hard disagree with you that @whitex is arguing for the sake of arguing. @whitex has done an excellent job of respectfully making his good points.
I understand the points he is making. I just feel like he is projecting his own perspective and mentality onto everyone else. There are a myriad of ways people can react to situations like this and I don't believe there is one right way. People are allowed to feel and have emotional reactions as they deem fit.

Why does what someone else got change how you feel about what you got? You got what you wanted at the price you were willing to pay for it. In life you make decisions based on information you have at the time and you don't go back regretting or resenting people. Are you kicking yourself for not buying bitcoins instead of the Tesla Model S? Those who spent the same money as you did on your S90D buying bitcoin instead, today can sell the bitcoin, buy a P100D and still have about a million dollars left.

WhiteX, I think you need to read the heading of this thread, "Has uncorking made other owners jaded?". I was expressing how I feel and I do not resent S75D owners getting a performance improvement. If you read the last sentence of my response, "Yes the Tesla is the best car I have ever owned, but I am not happy with some of Tesla's decisions", at no time does anything in my response say that I resent other people.

There is an expression that opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one. My response only said that I was disappointed that the performance improvement could not be done on my car and that I am not happy with some of Tesla's decisions. It is a shame that you cannot read other people's messages and not go nuclear on them. Your rant on Bitcoins made me laugh and I appreciate your humor.

Last edited: