Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has uncorking made other owners jaded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But would you pay an additional $20k for the additional range? The exact 75D car that was an option before I upgraded to the 100D would have roughly the same performance now. As I mentioned earlier, I justified the additional $$ based on performance AND range. Had it been just range I would have picked differently for the money.

BTW - no, not angry or yelling or complaining. Just stating my decision process when I purchased the car.

If I use my Model 3 deposit, I'm much more likely to get the SR now. That 25% for LR and a plan to keep the car for a long time just isn't worth it.
I was just making the statement.

jealousy? envy? resentment?
it's about tesla diminishing the value of the 90-100 cars with a flip of a switch. where are the goodies for the ones who bought their "top of the line cars"

Didn't hear you complaining for 75D owners who had their cars value diminished when the speed upgrade happened. How is this situation different?

All of this discontent is bordering on craziness.

jealousy? envy? resentment?
it's about tesla diminishing the value of the 90-100 cars with a flip of a switch. where are the goodies for the ones who bought their "top of the line cars"
It’s no different than the same thing happening in a new model year on another vehicle. It’s “simple economics,” something you frequently reference.

OP said resentment. I was just making it clear that the question was directly about envy and/or jealousy.

I love the OP question because it gets right to the key of one major reason why Tesla is different (the way our cars change and improve). Also, lots of good comments by all that I enjoyed reading. I'm only going to add my personal opinion to the OP question as one more data point for the survery:
  • Am I jaded? No.
  • At first I did feel a tiny bit upset because I did pay attention to the 0-60 times when deciding on my 90D. This feeling was very short lived. The other reasons I picked 90D are much more important to me. I am super happy for the uncorking now.
  • Would I rather have a Tesla that changes - even sometimes to my disadvantage - than a car (ICE) that never changes? Heck yah!
  • I've found that while there are a lot of people who love our Tesla's, there are a surprising number of people who HATE the Tesla and even us, the drivers. Mostly people on the far political right and large pick up trucks. Anything that makes our Tesla army faster and better is like rubbing salt in their wounds, which is great.

Nice try. Resentful of tesla. Obviously the owners had nothing to do with allowing uncorking.
It's probably just a misunderstanding of your phrasing then. I apologize for putting words in your mouth, if so.

To explain my take, it could be that when I read this:

as a result feel like I really came out ahead.

...I assumed you meant that you came out ahead of other owners, and assumed you were asking how they felt about effectively being in the opposite position.

Reactions: BBB4000
I just want to go FASTER. I got the 100d because it was the latest and the range, never even considered anything with a smaller battery. My discontent is that to get better than 4.2s, I had to consider spending another 45k, or else buy used (which i was not going to do, I wanted a new car).

So we make choices... all the 75d uncorking does for me is give me HOPE that somehow there can be more speed found in the 100d, but I doubt it. Same motors, etc.

I could afford the P100D, but it just violates my sense of sanity to spend that much more for the power.. still torn on this one.

Unlocking higher performance in gasoline cars has a lot to do with engine design, whereas Tesla's performance variations appear dictated by software in order to create different value propositions for the consumer. In other words, yes, this is somewhat jading. Tesla is basically admitting that it's holding back available performance simply to justify price differences, even though the cars are capable. This is not forthright or honest, in my opinion. Those who paid more for faster performance should be justifiably upset by this. They basically paid tens of thousands of dollars more for Tesla to pull a software switch.

There are instances in the ICE world of firmware changing performance. There are limits on the hardware in Tesla's cars and it's quite possible the large battery non-P cars (post introduction of dual drive) have always had the most performance you can get out of the hardware. The dual motor P cars all have a larger rear motor than the non-P dual motor cars. That affects the limits of the car's hardware. The small pack and large pack non-P cars are the same hardware except the size of the battery pack.

I think ~4s 0-60 is about the best possible with the dual small motor setup. New inverter and new motor tech can tweak that a little, which is why the 100D's performance is slightly increased over the 90D. Don't expect much more from firmware tweaks on the large battery cars.

I can see all diff views. The insurance alone on the 90/100 and p models just wasnt worth the extra $$$ even ontop of the extra purchase price.Some people bought the top of the line fastest tesla because $$ was no object and insurance rates dont matter and thats great for tesla and whatever floats your boat. Many more people i bet who bought a tesla and bought the 60/70 even 75d bought in at the lowest level because its so darn expensive of a car and wanted to get off gasoline and believe in the concept.. 200 miles is plenty for weekly commutes and even trips with the SC network. The 2k now to give us 40 extra miles isnt really important or needed and the speed thing is fun and all(had a p100 loaner) 0-60 wise but on a freeway at 65-85 its all the same....and around town gassing it isnt easy with the congestion here and low speed limits in town.

My insurance would have been the same for a 75D or a 90D. I think there was a sports car premium on the P90D. I have Safeco.

sorry but I do not share your view of this, 85 to 90 to 100 is progression, 75 to 100 for free, instantly is just a bit of a slap in the face of the purchasers of the more expensive models.

Did I miss something? Was there someone who got a 75->100 capacity bump?

If I wanted more takeoff, I'd keep the 2012 P85. The 90D has plenty of acceleration without spinning the tires. When I purchased the 2017, I decided that Autopilot and future autonomy wouldn't need the power of a performance model. All 3 Tesla vehicles have zoomed up the 50 mph steep hill near my home with power to spare.