Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have a week to decide - 75 or 75D?!

70 or 75D?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40k miles on our 70D and the front motor 'whine' has bothered me since it started at 8k miles. The front DU was replaced at 10k for the noise. I think you are making the right call on the S75. The car will be quieter and easily meet all of your needs. Looking forward to swapping out the 70D for our single motor model 3.

Why buy custom order? They have a fair few new inventory cars, 50 miles on the clock and 3-4K off. You could get a new 75D for the same money as a custom order 75. And get it quicker. There's a rumoured change coming in a couple of months and you may end up waiting for yours to be delivered while changed are announced making yours out if date before you've taken delivery. It happened the last couple of years.

I thought Tesla standardized on frunk shape / volume so regardless of 75 or 75D it's the same space. And it doesn't matter if you take the big HEPA cabin air filter option or not, the space for it is pre-allocated and not reclaimed if you opt out. Basically, the frunk is a non-differentiator these days, and not very big. (Someone else please confirm.)

Recall in July a NEW DRIVE TRAIN came out for model S with motors that are quite a bit faster than the previous generation. For this reason, you might just want to stick with ordering new versus taking an inventory car - which may have built prior to that and got the older motor/s.

And about "holding off for a couple months because something better is rumored"... you'd die before getting a Tesla playing that game. If you think you'd enjoy and get value out of a car "now" then get one now and start putting the smiles on your face. Life's too short.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I thought Tesla standardized on frunk shape / volume so regardless of 75 or 75D it's the same space. And it doesn't matter if you take the big HEPA cabin air filter option or not, the space for it is pre-allocated and not reclaimed if you opt out. Basically, the frunk is a non-differentiator these days, and not very big. (Someone else please confirm.)

Recall in July a NEW DRIVE TRAIN came out for model S with motors that are quite a bit faster than the previous generation. For this reason, you might just want to stick with ordering new versus taking an inventory car - which may have built prior to that and got the older motor/s.

And about "holding off for a couple months because something better is rumored"... you'd die before getting a Tesla playing that game. If you think you'd enjoy and get value out of a car "now" then get one now and start putting the smiles on your face. Life's too short.

You're right, the frunk/froot is the same now regardless

You can check battery and drive unit on UK inventory cars here:
Tesla Model S for sale

And absolutely.. you'll wait forever as there are always rumours!

In the case of Tesla, I think the benefit of dual motor / AWD isn't just about traction, as with ICE vehicles. Dual motor enables greater efficiency, as reflected by the D car's increased range and better performance despite increased weight. This is something I did not realize when I purchased my RWD car. Apparently Tesla has algorithms that can better coordinate / leverage the outputs of two motors.

The algorithm is really quite simple for better overall efficiency... the front motor has a taller overall gearing ratio. So when little power is needed, say for cruising at moderate speeds... then it uses the front motor and lets the rear motor spin freely. Whereas RWD have a single fixed gear motor... that has a lower ratio.. and takes a little more power to drive the car at the same speed.

We're talking small fractions here.

With a decently mindful driving style not even hypermiling, a RWD car can be driven to achieve the same overall efficiency of an AWD car that is being driven mindlessly. You know what I mean.

By the way, I notice the vote of this thread is a dead heat draw... 50/50... flip a coin. In other words, "it doesn't really matter".

Reactions: City Racer
Reasons for AWD:
1.) You live in an area where you get all 4 seasons
2.) You live in an area where you have Winter/Snow

Reasons Not For:
1.) You live in a year long warm climate
2.) You don't experience rain and/or winter-snow where you live.

Curious, do you have 19's or 21's? The staggered 21's offer distinctly better handling.

I have the staggered 21s with fresh Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245f/265r.

The car corners very flat, but lacks steering feel.

I came from an F80 M3, and my Porsche 911, so i'm pretty particular about handling. I'm not going to expect a heavy sedan to be nimble like a sports car, but slightly tighter steering would be welcome.

Reactions: DIL
I also have the staggered 21's and felt like Stan23. Then my son was chasing me on his motorcycle and noticed I was hammering coming out of slower (under 45 MPH) corners too hard, spinning all 4 tires. This is disconcerting and the traction control kicks in quickly. Softening my exits has given me a new respect for how well the P100D handles. Instantly having the same power all the time takes some learning to use well when you are used to variable power and delay no matter how well they mitigate it.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments. I'm gonna go with the 75 I think, based on this:

1 - A quieter ride has some appeal to me (which is main reason I didn't go for 21" wheels)
1 - It's still WAY faster than the Mercedes I'm driving now!
2 - I've never had a 4WD car anyway
3 - I'll very, very rarely be driving in snow/hills/whatever
5 - the range improvement is so negligible it's not worth factoring in.
6 - Our family can go on a pretty nice holiday for £4,700!

Roll on November (delivery day)!
good call have a MS75 in NYC and it is great... expect winter performance to be adequate.... search you tube for RWD in Norway handing snow ... no problem.. you can use the extra cash for floor mats, trunk mat , proper flat tire kit , extra cable for low amperage charges, etc.

I stood for the same choose. Difficult as hell. My config contained the Black Premium Interior, Advanced AP and Blue metallic. The rest is pretty much standard nowadays.

I was going for a 75 but got some doubts. In the end, topics like these, made me decide on a 75D. I pressed the order button yesterday. And immediately confirmed it, saving an extra week of waiting. Hopefully the whine isn't too bad.

Just for the record, the 75D with paint and the 2 options, is $121.000,-. That's 100D money in the US :)

I stood for the same choose. Difficult as hell. My config contained the Black Premium Interior, Advanced AP and Blue metallic. The rest is pretty much standard nowadays.

I was going for a 75 but got some doubts. In the end, topics like these, made me decide on a 75D. I pressed the order button yesterday. And immediately confirmed it, saving an extra week of waiting. Hopefully the whine isn't too bad.

Just for the record, the 75D with paint and the 2 options, is $121.000,-. That's 100D money in the US :)
did you get a referral use my code and save My Tesla Referral Code

Hi all

Super excited to have just ordered a Model S 75 this afternoon (midnight silver/premium//autopilot/white/dark ash/sunroof/19" grey wheels), but I can't make up my mind if I want to pony up the extra cash for the D variant.

Seems there's a negligible difference in straight line speed/performance and as I live just outside of London (Weybridge, Surrey) I'm unlikely to ever really NEED 4WD.

So I guess I'd just end up with marginally better handling for my £5k extra (or whatever it is). Or is it a big difference in handling?

Obviously if budget wasn't an issue I wouldn't be buying a 75/75D... but I can spend an extra £5k if it's worth it, but my gut feeling is that it isn't - especially as I'm not really a driving enthusiast per se (I just love technology!).

Keen to hear your thoughts as I'm new to the world of Tesla!

Thanks,

James

Just ordered 75D after having same dilemma.decided that I wanted secure road holding in all weather conditions.had a crash once in a rear wheel drive lotus esprit in the wet due to backend breaking away.Had an Audi Quattro and Subaru Impreza and the 4 wheel grip is what I like.also I don't want to crash my new tesla by skimping on the extra security of all wheel drive come winter.just my opinion of course.hard decision either way.