Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head lights not coming on when wipers are on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not like every other vehicle on the road; my previous vehicle, the 2017 Chevrolet Volt, had manual windshield wipers and the headlights would come on in the daytime whenever the wipers had cycled more than 10 times. So even on a low intermittent setting the headlights would turn on after a few minutes.
My BMW X3 had lights come on automatically when wipers were engaged. So did my Lexus and Audi. This is a safety and legal issue. How do we get this ability back?

My BMW X3 had lights come on automatically when wipers were engaged. So did my Lexus and Audi. This is a safety and legal issue. How do we get this ability back?
The majority of cars in the US don’t do this. I have no idea why - it’s a pretty simple task from a programming perspective and there’s little to no downside.

I’m not sure how it’s a legal issue. The driver can always turn on the headlights (even if it’s not as easy with a Tesla) and it’s on the driver to operate the vehicle according to local laws.

Tesla should have a Yes/No slider in Settings so that the lights come on when the wipers wipe (after some minimum number of wipes).

Or in the very least it indicates the need to have more user defined buttons at the bottom of the screen. In my state, we must have the lights on when the wipers are on. Auto wipers with manual lights just doesn't make sense in these states.

The really strange thing is that my MYLR knows what state it is in. If the law says wipers+lights, then Tesla auto-wipers should also turn on the lights. And if I'm in that state, then manual wipers should turn on the lights also. So if Tesla doesn't want to add a Yes/No slider, they could add a couple of lines of code. and just do it automatically.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I wonder where though... Most places require lights on with wipers, worst case is its optional. I cant understand how linking the 2 could possibly violate a rule.
Don't know; "Jake, it's Tesla." Could be that Tesla has an engineering policy about introducing any function that lowers efficiency by even a fraction of 1%. Lights on all of the time when wipers are on would increase energy consumption by a minuscule but measurable amount.

Another problem with turning the headlights on manually when the wipers are on is that you must remember to turn them off when you park and before you exit the vehicle, since they will not turn off by themselves when in manual mode. This just happened to me over the weekend when my Tesla spent more than two ours with the headlights on after driving in the rain to a party and until somebody told me I had left the lights on. Also, I realizad you cannot turn the headlights off using the app.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Another problem with turning the headlights on manually when the wipers are on is that you must remember to turn them off when you park and before you exit the vehicle, since they will not turn off by themselves when in manual mode. This just happened to me over the weekend when my Tesla spent more than two ours with the headlights on after driving in the rain to a party and until somebody told me I had left the lights on. Also, I realizad you cannot turn the headlights off using the app.
My 2020 LRMY alerts me with chimes when I have my headlights set to manual and I open the driver's door.

But think of all the games you can play, instead of having a basic safety function that almost all new cars have today (or at the very least, lights that automatically shut off if left on).
Or the fart sounds you can make. Or the light show you can impress your friends with! Safety Schmafety. Get your priorities in order!

I would give up all the games, funny noises, light shows, and assorted cute Easter Eggs in the Tesla update for a couple BASIC safety features most cars come with today, that are lacking in Teslas. Things like cross traffic alerts in reverse, a simple warning light in the side mirrors for blind spot detection, etc etc. Less toys. More serious software.

Reactions: e645824
Apparently this will be added back in version 2023.26.

"Automatic Headlights" section has the details.

Apparently this will be added back in version 2023.26.

"Automatic Headlights" section has the details.
I saw that, which was a real head scratcher, since I thought that it was there all along. I can't find any indication that any place has a law against having headlights on when it's raining.

That being said, since the DRLs are on, it means that headlights are on, at least in my state. They are headlights as defined in the vehicle code, which in my state specifies the amount of illumination in terms of the distance that I must be able to see when headlamps (the term used in the vehicle code in my state) are on. Since it's daytime, and not dark enough to trigger the low beams to come on, it would qualify as using headlights in my state.

Since state laws are consistent on a lot of rules, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in most other places. And it also raises the question of whether there's a safety issue. The reason for having them on in the rain isn't to increase your ability to see but to increase the visibility of your car. The laws likely predate the existence or popularity of DRLs.

I saw that, which was a real head scratcher, since I thought that it was there all along. I can't find any indication that any place has a law against having headlights on when it's raining.

That being said, since the DRLs are on, it means that headlights are on, at least in my state. They are headlights as defined in the vehicle code, which in my state specifies the amount of illumination in terms of the distance that I must be able to see when headlamps (the term used in the vehicle code in my state) are on. Since it's daytime, and not dark enough to trigger the low beams to come on, it would qualify as using headlights in my state.

Since state laws are consistent on a lot of rules, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in most other places. And it also raises the question of whether there's a safety issue. The reason for having them on in the rain isn't to increase your ability to see but to increase the visibility of your car. The laws likely predate the existence or popularity of DRLs.
The reason I want them on is so other people see me. The headlights dont really provide visibility, but the taillights (which only turn on with the lights, not DRLs) allow people behind me to see my grey car in the rain a lot easier.

DRLs are not considered headlights in CA. The amount of illumination from your DRLs doesn’t matter. When your DRLs are on, your taillights aren’t. You won’t have all 4 corners of your vehicle illuminated.

Reactions: sleepydoc