Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights default to automatic, using wipers changes their display section of the screen. Fix it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Every single time I get into my 3 and start it, the headlights are on AUTO mode, I have to press the buttons to get to the screen where I can turn the headlights to OFF, and that's just too many button presses. I want the headlights to always be off unless I manually turn them on.

And the odometer / miles and power since last charge screen in the bottom left corner -- if I press the windshield wiper button, even once, it sidescrolls the odometer / miles / power used since last charge sideways to the wiper screen. Stop it! I'll slide it over myself if I want to!

I’ve never heard of any Tesla owner ever manually turning headlights on or off. Auto mode turns lights on when needed and off when needed. I haven’t thought of turning lights on or off in 5 years. What do you find wrong with the auto setting?

Regarding wipers, Tesla is trying to make it easy for you to have the screen display the controls that are needed without extra steps. So when you press the wiper button, the wiper control screen shows up rather than you having to swipe to it. Just like when you plug in, the charging screen pops up. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: Argyle
I’ve never heard of any Tesla owner ever manually turning headlights on or off. Auto mode turns lights on when needed and off when needed. I haven’t thought of turning lights on or off in 5 years. What do you find wrong with the auto setting?

Regarding wipers, Tesla is trying to make it easy for you to have the screen display the controls that are needed without extra steps. So when you press the wiper button, the wiper control screen shows up rather than you having to swipe to it. Just like when you plug in, the charging screen pops up. Makes sense to me.
But I agree that it is annoying to have the car switch to the wiper screen if you tap the wipers or wash the window.

• Disagree
Reactions: Argyle
In Auto setting, the car has its lights on all the time, even in the daylight, wasting battery power. How much wattage do the headlights use? Either way, I want them off, and having to manually turn them off every time is annoying. It should be able to save the setting.

It should only run the daytime running lights in auto mode with sufficient ambient light. The DRLs are about 20 Watts total. In one hour, that’s enough energy to propel the vehicle about 100 feet. The headlights and tail lights total about 100 Watts.

I usually drive with the parking lights on during the day because I want my tail lights and side markers lit up all the time to make myself more visible to other drivers.

I’m perfectly content with the lights always reverting to auto. There are too many drivers on the road who forget to turn their lights on or who don’t think they need them on in adverse weather conditions.

In Auto setting, the car has its lights on all the time, even in the daylight, wasting battery power. How much wattage do the headlights use? Either way, I want them off, and having to manually turn them off every time is annoying. It should be able to save the setting.

I hate to tell you that the headlight usage while you're driving (NOT "all the time", and average drive time is less than an hour) won't give you a mile of extra range. Many areas require daytime running lights, and though I'm not required to have lights on, I think it's safer that people might see me sooner. Since I can't see them, and know I'm not shining brights at oncoming drivers, I can't see a reason to have them off, nor can I agree that their being on is "wasting battery power".

What I cringe at is all the other drivers wasting gasoline power. Three fourths of gasoline energy is wasted, un-burned or burned at horrible efficiency. They are also wasting drilling, pumping, piping, refining, storage and delivery, much of which is done by electricity.

Are you referring to the LED lights on the rim of the headlights? Even with the lights set to off, they will turn on when you go into drive.

Yeah, the DRLs are on all the time, even with the headlights selected to "off". (the "eyebrow" region above the headlights, and the linear strips down low by the fog lamps/reflectors)

I do turn off the headlights on occasion. Mainly when entering a covered/indoor garage. I find it useful that it goes back to auto.

--Carlos V.

I like the auto headlights. I think the sensor could be adjusted to turn them on earlier. A lot of times around dusk, they still haven't turned on when I see other cars have turned theirs on. It's especially bothersome on dark overcast days. The daytime running lights are always on, though, so I'm okay with it for now.

I don't like that the full headlights turn on every time the windshield wiper button on the stalk is pressed, either for a quick one stroke wipe or to turn on the wiper fluid. Yes, I know the reason for this is because in many areas (mine included) it is required by law to turn on the headlights when the windshield wipers are on for safety. But this is supposed to be during the rain. It's a little annoying that the headlights still turn on when it's in the middle of a sunny day when all you want to do is clean the windshield. I didn't know it did this until I had another driver think was signalling him a four-way stop sign when all I needed was to clean a bug guts off the windshield.

I like the auto headlights. I think the sensor could be adjusted to turn them on earlier. A lot of times around dusk, they still haven't turned on when I see other cars have turned theirs on. It's especially bothersome on dark overcast days. The daytime running lights are always on, though, so I'm okay with it for now.

I don't like that the full headlights turn on every time the windshield wiper button on the stalk is pressed, either for a quick one stroke wipe or to turn on the wiper fluid. Yes, I know the reason for this is because in many areas (mine included) it is required by law to turn on the headlights when the windshield wipers are on for safety. But this is supposed to be during the rain. It's a little annoying that the headlights still turn on when it's in the middle of a sunny day when all you want to do is clean the windshield. I didn't know it did this until I had another driver think was signalling him a four-way stop sign when all I needed was to clean a bug guts off the windshield.

Our Cadillac will only turn on the lights when the wipers are turned on or the rain sensor senses rain in automatic mode. A single wipe will not turn the lights on, which is nice. I've also noticed that it's light sensor turns on the lights at just the right time of evening to be appropriate, although I believe it's adjustable in the software menus (I'll have to check on that).

Honestly, people have proven themselves to be too stupid to remember to turn on headlights when they're given the option, so I'm ok with making them default to automatic at this point. I also think manufacturers should stop offering fog lights (especially rear fog lights) unless they have to be turned on manually for each drive via a method that is separate from the normal lights.

Too many morons out there ruining things for everyone.

Reactions: Joelc

As a bicycle rider I much prefer that cars have their headlights. This makes it much easier to know if there is a car coming up behind me. Having your lights is simply safer for both you and others whether they be cars, trucks or bikes.

Reactions: Joelc
Our Cadillac will only turn on the lights when the wipers are turned on or the rain sensor senses rain in automatic mode. A single wipe will not turn the lights on, which is nice.

This is the behavior that the Model 3 needs. A single wipe or activating wiper fluid from the stalk should not turn on the lights. They should only come on when the wipers are turned on from the UI or if rain is sensed in auto mode.

Reactions: Big Earl
Our Cadillac will only turn on the lights when the wipers are turned on or the rain sensor senses rain in automatic mode. A single wipe will not turn the lights on, which is nice. I've also noticed that it's light sensor turns on the lights at just the right time of evening to be appropriate, although I believe it's adjustable in the software menus (I'll have to check on that).
The S & X behaves in the same way. I wonder why this haven't gone into the 3's programming yet. They are using the same sensor suite.

My AP2 car also used to turn on headlights with single wipes, but that got fixed in an update quite some time ago.

In my ICE car I go through the routine every single time of turning off the DRLs. They are incandescent lights and turning them off is for fuel economy. I should have switched them to LEDs, but with my Model 3 a month away there is no sense in doing that now.