Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump acoustic cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LoL, my rear hatch was scrapping the metal and had to have touchup work done, a day after, hatch misaligned again and now has one side scraping on the sides and won't open correctly. That first bit took 3 weeks, now had to wait 3 weeks for another appointment to see how long it'll take.
I noticed the same thing... I definitely hear either the tail light scratching/rubbing against something whenever I open the tail gate. Definitely is not centered... did you at least get a loaner for your touch up? I’m gonna make sure they touch up everything around my hatch area because I’ve already notice a few knicks

I noticed the same thing... I definitely hear either the tail light scratching/rubbing against something whenever I open the tail gate. Definitely is not centered... did you at least get a loaner for your touch up? I’m gonna make sure they touch up everything around my hatch area because I’ve already notice a few knicks
I did get a loaner after a week, once they realized it wasn’t a simple fix.

Another FYI...VIN number 30XX Model Y owner here. I requested the AC/Heatpump insulation to be installed. Tesla Service Center ordered the part, then had a mobile service vehicle come to our house to do the installation at zero costs. I live in the Bay Area. Nice!

Reactions: frankvb
Finally brought my Model Y (June 7th delivery) for the acoustic blanket appointment after noticing how loud it was outside on a hot day in SoCal and seeing this forum. I didn't bother checking it beforehand myself. Turns out my car already had the acoustic blanket, notes also said operating as designed and no repairs needed or performed during visit. $0.00 cost.

Just pick up my MY from SC yesterday with the acoustic blanket installed. It is a very big difference for the noise level. However, be ware that may 5ake longer time to install if the SC hasn't done it before. The SC was extremely busy and my MY was in the parking lot for 2 days before the tech can work on it. Took the tech a whole day to install the blanket as he hadn't done it before and wants to make sure he didn't messed up anything. I notice the noise from the heat pump was reduced by a lot!!! I love Tesla that they retrofit this for free for early batch.

• Funny
Reactions: DennyL
I have an Appointment for 20 August to check the A/C temp sensor and get this acoustic shield added They are currently checking logs for when my A/C stop working in Las Vegas and again Redlands. Hopefully they will find the logs as I gave them date & times

Fred

I give up. Can anyone point me to a document or YouTube that will show me how to actually get to the heat pump to look at it?

To peek at it, just remove the maintenance panel as described in page 194 of the manual.

Screenshot_20200806-212750_Drive.jpg

If it's covered you will see black/dark grey foam wrapped in the otherwise bare metal (aluminum like) heat pump, just forward of the 12v Battery and black cross beam.

20200806_213119.jpg

This is what you will see if you remove the front trunk tub by removing the bolts and lift...not really necessary to do if you just want to see if the heat pump is wrapped in black foam.

Reactions: Gigaron
Got mine installed by mobile service today....and yes, I can tell quite a difference in noise level when installed. Not to say that the A/C is super quiet when standing in your garage with it on full blast, but still a noticeable difference before/after. They also realigned my driver door and did a great job with it...so real happy with service!

Got mine installed by mobile service today....and yes, I can tell quite a difference in noise level when installed. Not to say that the A/C is super quiet when standing in your garage with it on full blast, but still a noticeable difference before/after. They also realigned my driver door and did a great job with it...so real happy with service!

@mackgriggs Thank you for the update. I have a mobile service appointment for this Thursday to install the Homelink and acoustic cover for the AC compressor. Right now when the AC is running, it is super loud. Probably 5x louder than my Samsung refrigerator. Hopefully this will dampen the noise.

Another FYI...VIN number 30XX Model Y owner here. I requested the AC/Heatpump insulation to be installed. Tesla Service Center ordered the part, then had a mobile service vehicle come to our house to do the installation at zero costs. I live in the Bay Area. Nice!
How did you determine the insulation was not installed? Noise? So much for trying to decipher the VIN - mine is 29XXX and when the Homelink module was installed last week I watched the install and noticed that the heat pump had the insulation installed.

How did you determine the insulation was not installed? Noise? So much for trying to decipher the VIN - mine is 29XXX and when the Homelink module was installed last week I watched the install and noticed that the heat pump had the insulation installed.

Same here. I had mobile service install Homelink last Thursday and noticed my heatpump was already covered. I noticed the coolant levels was below the "Nom" (Nominal) mark and asked him to top it off and he did.
IMG_0840.jpg

Almost 2 months later due to scheduling issues and other service repairs to my Y, but got it installed today via mobile, definitely noticed the improvement, especially in the closed garage.
Now to see if they can finally fix my rear hatch, on to service # 4 to deal with that problem...

Last edited:
My Model Y has a build date of 6/30, so I would assume it has the insulation. However, the heat pump sounds like a jet engine.

I've scheduled an appt. to have them look at it. If I get a chance, I'll pop off the cover and see if I can tell if there's a sleeve on the pump.