Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Is Tesla trying to screw me??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't a traditional dealer effectively pre approve or confirm ability to pay, before allowing you to order/buy the car and therefore has all the personal data to provide the final specifics at the time of order/purchase?

This is an interesting point, I wonder how many people end up not being able to secure financing after ordering a car. I would imagine the number must be small right now, or Tesla would implement some sort of pre-qualification into the early process.

Wonder if they will need to add that once they start selling in volume. I always know before I buy a car whether or not I am qualified to buy (and I pull my credit beforehand just to make sure an error hasn't appeared) but I get the impression there is a semi-large segment of the population that just "shows up and sees what happens" when they are buying a car.

For California, if you go to the Tesla lending page and plug in your zip code, car information (model and build price) and desired loan terms, it will provide sales tax, registration fee and other information. Same is true for the Tesla leasing page.

See screen shots below.

Just wanted to say: You are right. I never clicked through to that page before my purchase, so I only saw the two prices on the right hand side of the configurator and figured the gas savings one was a lie but the other one would be accurate.

I agree with everyone that Tesla isn't trying to "screw" him, but it is a bit unfortunate that due to their way of presenting overly optimistic information first, some customers (like me and like the OP) found out the final payment amount after the deposit is nonrefundable. I wanted the car so I didn't want to test the waters to see if they'd let you get a refund for this specific situation.... but I'd imagine the answer would most likely be no.

EDIT: Also, the loan terms for Tesla Direct are no longer shown. Tesla still offers direct loans that include the resale value guarantee (which was important to me), but they are around 2.49% APR with a mandatory 10% down.

I've bought two Model Ss and the financial part was clear on both. I don't understand exactly what happened in this case and I've never leased a car in my life. But if I did lease a car I would have asked before I hit the confirmation button what I would be paying to pick up the car. If you did, and they told you 4k, you have cause for complaint. But if you took something from the website as gospel without getting it confirmed by Tesla finance over the phone or in an email, all I can say is Wow - you have more faith in online info than I ever will.