Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide if I buy FSD this weekend, or not! ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Should jordanair45 upgrade to FSD for his Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think there's going to be a price drop, probably the opposite, but who knows at this point. Do you want to buy something right now that doesn't do anything on the hope that it will on the future? Or do you want to see what FSD has to offer when the updates finally do start rolling out in the next 3 months maybe 6 months definitely, at a higher price? I gave Elon my hard earned money for FSD based on his promises because he's delivered on so much, albeit a little later than promised. Also because I plan on owning this car for the next 8-10 years. Up to you, sir.

Don’t make the mistake I did, falling for the hype and misrepresentation on the FSD order page. “Really.” I miss my $6000....

CC49FB3E-AC9D-4E07-9EDC-E68E8F3E64C6.png

If you don't believe FSD will happen, don't buy it.
If you believe FSD will happen in the near future, buy it.
If you believe FSD might happen but not immediately, buy TSLA stock. If it happens, TSLA is likely to jump a lot and you can buy it as an upgrade.

This!

I did not buy EAP/FSD when I ordered my Model 3 in Dec 2018, but bought AP/ FSD when it dropped to $5K.

But, I put $6K in Tesla stock when it went $180s, hoping it will be worth more when FSD shows progress...

I recently ordered an X but no FSD.

Good Luck!

Reactions: jordanair45
Ok, so one of the reasons I bought a Tesla was because I think FSD is cool. But, I did not get it at delivery....

All logical reasoning aside, do I buy this or not?

Decide for me :D

It was harder to make an FSD decision when there was Enhanced Autopilot

But now I, you can't buy EAP anymore, I think it should be easy to make the decision.

With current AP, you only have 2 features:

1) TACC (traffic aware cruise control)
2) Autosteer within a lane

Those 2 above are too restrictive to me. That would drive me nut!

So FSD is an easy choice so I can have additionally:

3) Auto Lane Change
4) Navigation on Autopilot
5) AutoPark
6) Summon

The 2 below are not active and hopefully will be activated by the end of this year:
7) Traffic lights and stop signs automatic compliance
8) Automatic driving on city streets.

It was harder to make an FSD decision when there was Enhanced Autopilot

But now I, you can't buy EAP anymore, I think it should be easy to make the decision.

With current AP, you only have 2 features:

1) TACC (traffic aware cruise control)
2) Autosteer within a lane

Those 2 above are too restrictive to me. That would drive me nut!

So FSD is an easy choice so I can have additionally:

3) Auto Lane Change
4) Navigation on Autopilot
5) AutoPark
6) Summon

The 2 below are not active and hopefully will be activated by the end of this year:
7) Traffic lights and stop signs automatic compliance
8) Automatic driving on city streets.

OP - #4 is for highways only, #5 and #6 are widely reported as “hit and miss” and largely unreliable parlor tricks and gimmicks. #7 and #8 are on that same FSD order page I mentioned above; same page that to this day has a false representation for Enhanced Summon; so, there’s that...

OP - #4 is for highways only, #5 and #6 are widely reported as “hit and miss” and largely unreliable parlor tricks and gimmicks. #7 and #8 are on that same FSD order page I mentioned above; same page that to this day has a false representation for Enhanced Summon; so, there’s that...

True, but apparently new hardware and NN are not being used, yet. The autonomy day presentation looked promising. I wonder what peoples' thoughts were who were given test drives......enhanced summon, not interested in. I don't really need a self driving car, truthfully, but it's a cool idea. Autopilot works great, but I I don't even use that sometimes, because its frustrating slow (sometimes).

True, but apparently new hardware and NN are not being used, yet. The autonomy day presentation looked promising. I wonder what peoples' thoughts were who were given test drives......enhanced summon, not interested in. I don't really need a self driving car, truthfully, but it's a cool idea. Autopilot works great, but I I don't even use that sometimes, because its frustrating slow (sometimes).

No disagreement here. I have a HW3 computer and FSD. I’m hopeful v10 improves my view on all of this. Love the car, otherwise.

The way neural nets operate, I would be very optimistic if I were you :D

Great car, regardless!

Here’s to hopin’! I expect v10 will be further delayed and the first couple of renditions might not take advantage of HW3 at all. If v10 was really coming out soon, and leveraged HW3 computers/NN, we would be seeing Tesla finally getting around to retrofitting the AP2 and AP2.5 cars, no? On that front, it’s just (see below)

9BD591CE-C663-49DE-909A-7A540D4C59CA.gif

Reactions: jordanair45
OP - #4 is for highways only...

No dispute there. I drove 200 miles and it was really helpful as I did not have to disengage it at all from on-ramp to off-ramp through 5 freeways

...#5 and #6 are widely reported as “hit and miss” and largely unreliable parlor tricks and gimmicks...

No dispute there. That's why there are still Autopilot crashes, injuries, and deaths.

That doesn't mean they are useless. I started using these automation features for the past 2 years and they are very helpful!

What Tesla is selling as "FSD" is essentially the promise that autopilot will automate more and more of the driving over time. The car will not be a robotaxi anytime soon but Tesla plans to keep rolling out new features that will keep adding to what autopilot can do. In the short term, we can expect that autopilot will automate more and more of the driving but we will still need to pay attention. In the long term, Tesla hopes that as they add more and more functionality, autopilot will eventually be able to automate all the driving tasks reliably, and thereby achieve true full self-driving.

#5 and #6 are widely reported as “hit and miss” and largely unreliable parlor tricks and gimmicks
I use auto park daily. There is definitely some learning curve to using it.

As to "parlor tricks" - kids are super excited about "self driving".

Ok, so one of the reasons I bought a Tesla was because I think FSD is cool. But, I did not get it at delivery....

All logical reasoning aside, do I buy this or not?

Decide for me :D

Probably a good way to think about it is - "FSD" is like a kick-starter. You get it for $6k if you buy now - and will cost more if you wait. But the risk is, FSD features may get delayed a lot making that $6k a waste, depending on what feature you want and what your expectation is.

ps : If you are looking for actual robotaxi feature, the risk of non-delivery is very high. You may be better of buying the stock at the current low prices - if Tesla comes close to robotaxi, the stock price will increase quite a bit.

I use auto park daily. There is definitely some learning curve to using it.

As to "parlor tricks" - kids are super excited about "self driving".

Probably a good way to think about it is - "FSD" is like a kick-starter. You get it for $6k if you buy now - and will cost more if you wait. But the risk is, FSD features may get delayed a lot making that $6k a waste, depending on what feature you want and what your expectation is.

ps : If you are looking for actual robotaxi feature, the risk of non-delivery is very high. You may be better of buying the stock at the current low prices - if Tesla comes close to robotaxi, the stock price will increase quite a bit.

@EVNow - This statement is presumptuous, and could be misleading a new prospective buyer. The facts are, you can pay $6000 now (as you say, like a Kickstarter) and may get useful FSD-like functionality at some point in time. There is no certainty that waiting "Will cost more," when in fact it may actually cost less or the same. Agree with your other points.

Reactions: boonedocks
@EVNow - This statement is presumptuous, and could be misleading a new prospective buyer. The facts are, you can pay $6000 now (as you say, like a Kickstarter) and may get useful FSD-like functionality at some point in time. There is no certainty that waiting "Will cost more," when in fact it may actually cost less or the same. Agree with your other points.

I think it is common sense that the price of FSD will increase over time as new features are released. It's economics 101. When a product increases in value, it causes demand to increase, which in turn causes the price to increase. And let's face it: if Tesla really does achieve true full self-driving at some point in the future, the "FSD" package on the website will become a super hot item! Heck, even if "FSD" just gets close to true full self-driving, it will become a really hot item.

Now, Tesla may do a sale but I doubt the price will drop to less than it is now. for example, when FSD is complete, say the price goes up to $10k. Tesla may do a sale at $8k. So the price will drop from its original price, but it won't drip below what it is now.

I think it is common sense that the price of FSD will increase over time as new features are released. It's economics 101. When a product increases in value, it causes demand to increase, which in turn causes the price to increase. And let's face it: if Tesla really does achieve true full self-driving at some point in the future, the "FSD" package on the website will become a super hot item! Heck, even if "FSD" just gets close to true full self-driving, it will become a really hot item.

Now, Tesla may do a sale but I doubt the price will drop to less than it is now. for example, when FSD is complete, say the price goes up to $10k. Tesla may do a sale at $8k. So the price will drop from its original price, but it won't drip below what it is now.

Let's save this post somewhere so we can recall it at a later date with ease. :p I agree there will be sales, etc., but no one; not you, I, nor EVNow know what Telsa will do tomorrow or thereafter. For example: If desperate for cash (so they don't have to go hat in hand seeking to raise additional capital, which would be an embarrassment at this point for The Great One), you might see it be at $6000 or less in the future, depending on that and what functionality is actually released - and how those releases are viewed by the critics and customers. No one knows, so let's refrain from scare tactics to get noobs fork over $6000 today. I believe it's a 50-50 proposition that the price will go up by the release of v10/Enhanced Summon, but what happens after that will be subject to the all mighty "market forces"...