Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's this with the Y suspension being on the harsh side? So many people say this which makes me wonder what in the hell were y'all driving before?

I came from a Maserati Levante which had the 21 inch sport wheels and the electronic suspension was plush. Now with my standard Y, I put 22 inch wheels with 35 profile tires on it and the ride isn't much different from the gemini wheels it came with which was already pretty smooth to begin with. I guess my definition of harsh would be equal to unbearable for most. I had 26 inch wheels on 30 profile tires on a Denali 15 years ago and now that was harsh but expected. It was a show car so it didn't matter.

What's this with the Y suspension being on the harsh side? So many people say this which makes me wonder what in the hell were y'all driving before?

I came from a Maserati Levante which had the 21 inch sport wheels and the electronic suspension was plush. Now with my standard Y, I put 22 inch wheels with 35 profile tires on it and the ride isn't much different from the gemini wheels it came with which was already pretty smooth to begin with. I guess my definition of harsh would be equal to unbearable for most. I had 26 inch wheels on 30 profile tires on a Denali 15 years ago and now that was harsh but expected. It was a show car so it didn't matter.
Talk about apples and oranges. May as well say that compared to a go kart, the Y suspension is super soft. Not helpful. I like the Y, but it's more BMW than Lexus, which works for me, but not for everyone.

• Funny
Reactions: thinktwice
How firm a suspension should be is definitely a subjective matter. Many people - including me - like it firm. I have a Model 3, which is similar to the Y (I have driven the Y as well), and it is definitely on the firm side, but still comfortable, at least with the 18 inch wheel size. From my perspective, Tesla found the perfect balance.

But better get the Mach-E soon, as if the federal bill passes, the Mach-E may not be eligible as it's built in Mexico...
There is nothing in the current bill that would disqualify a foreign made vehicle from the $7,500 credit. If you order a Mach E (and can find a dealer that agrees to in writing to no ADM) you have a long wait. If you find one that has made it into dealer inventory to get one now, you will likely have a $10,000 ADM.

Reactions: voxel
I haven't read the latest version but originally they were talking about American- and union-made EV's as the only ones qualifying. Would not be surprised to see that in the final version, if it ever gets there.
No, that was never the wording, there were EXTRA incentives beyond the base $7500.

Incentive 1 is $500 for batteries made in the US
Incentive 2 is union made vehicles in the US ($4500 I think?)

More comparisons with Apple vs PC’s and Tesla vs ICE could be considered.

Did you ever have an HP DV9000x 15.6” with a AMD Turion - that overheated? And…no one cared? Like the issue existed, but the company never did anything to fix it? And then, the brand just discontinues the model - for it to be forgotten? Maybe you had a nice Asus UX131-UXW model that has a flaky display, but can’t find parts for it? Did you ever try and sell a used $2000 MSI gaming laptop, and see it lose $1200 value in 10 months? Did you ever have crappy drivers for a ATI video card, that caused Windows XP to blue screen, and no one could figure it out?

Compare this with an issue that impacts any product in the Apple lineup. Butterfly keyboard issue? Cracking bezels? Dropped calls when holding the phone in certain positions? These issues won’t be discussed on just forums, blogs or podcasts. These issues will be discussed by Lester Holt, Brian Williams and Good Morning America. A 5 year old iPhone retains its value - in a way that no Android device can compare to. No one cares about the 200 different Android models. It oversaturates the market. No brand is throwing hundreds of billions at R&D like Apple is - its almost unfair to the small brands at this point. The Apple experience - best you can get. No other brand even compares.

Tesla. Even your grandparents know about those Tesla’s. The Audi Etron? It’s just another Audi, and its depreciation definitely reflects that. There are 4 models. Everyone knows them. People know how to fix them. People know how to service them. People want to buy them - used, new, they likely want to buy them. The brand equity is on a level that only compares to Apple. This is like spending $50000 on an Android phone in 2012 - that would be worth $8000 in 10 months, or spending $50000 on an iPhone in 2012 - thats still worth $8000…10 years later. Look at used Bolts, Volts, Etron’s…..these vehicles are not wanted. When used models go up for sale - they sell because the costs are shockingly low, not because consumers are chomping at the bit. Just like cheap android phones - with terrible user experiences, or cheap windows computers - with terrible user experiences. You can buy good Android phones or Windows computers - but everything is trying to simply match Apple, and rarely does anything get to beat Apple for long. Every brand is going to rush to market - saturating the market with different half-baked models. Tesla already set the standard, like Apple has. Everything gets judged against Tesla, like Apple - as if scoring 100/100 is Apple/Tesla - and nothing can score more than 100/100. So when the best experiences in any consumer product are redefined around how the dominant brand wants it to exist - its game over. The established player owns the spotlight, the love, the affection of the masses - everyone else is throwing everything at the wall - hoping something will stick. No one cares if a Chevy Bolt dies on the side of the road. No one knows how to fix it. And no one wants to fix it. Rich Rebuilds will scrub sewage out of a salvaged Tesla, and rebuild a car with its parts. You drive a Tesla, and the world looks at you. You know what you drive, they know what you drive. You drive an Audi Etron? No, you drive an Audi. The Ford Mach-E is a great vehicle, and that’s how everyone will view it as - a great vehicle. Not the best electric vehicle experience available to consumers - anywhere in the world.
This is so totally over the top with Apple fanboy praise, it loses all sense of rationality. As an example, a iPhone 4s 64gb had a MSRP of $399, today a used one goes for $26 on ebay about 6.5% of its cost. Of course, it doesn't run any of the later versions of IOS and has a terrible battery life. I shouldn't forget to mention that Apple sabotaged a number of their older iphone models and paid over $500mm in lawsuit settlements. On the Mac side, MacOS Monterey is apparently bricking some older Macs including some 2019 models. Apple has also had bad solder issues in the past. Bottom line, every manufacturer has issues.

Tesla can stand on its own merits without being compared or linked to another company. Tesla certainly has had issues and it appears that they try to do right with their customer base, even if they have to be dragged into doing so.

BTW, I love my Google Pixel 5a 5g with Android 12.

Reactions: gt2690b and tm1v2
This is so totally over the top with Apple fanboy praise, it loses all sense of rationality. As an example, a iPhone 4s 64gb had a MSRP of $399, today a used one goes for $26 on ebay about 6.5% of its cost. Of course, it doesn't run any of the later versions of IOS and has a terrible battery life. I shouldn't forget to mention that Apple sabotaged a number of their older iphone models and paid over $500mm in lawsuit settlements. On the Mac side, MacOS Monterey is apparently bricking some older Macs including some 2019 models. Apple has also had bad solder issues in the past. Bottom line, every manufacturer has issues.

Tesla can stand on its own merits without being compared or linked to another company. Tesla certainly has had issues and it appears that they try to do right with their customer base, even if they have to be dragged into doing so.

BTW, I love my Google Pixel 5a 5g with Android 12.
Apple hasn’t updated their phones in 5 years.. the 13 is just like the X

Meanwhile pixel phones like the pixel 5 have about 100% resale value and are actually getting better not to mention you’re not stuck in the apple ecosystem