Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Analysis paralysis already!
I’ve received a lot of really great information on this thread from the TMC community over the past few weeks, so I think I should give a short update on where my “analysis” is at. I assure you WADan, there is no analysis paralysis here. I have not made a decision yet because there is simply no reason to make one until a car arrives. The balance sheet between these two cars is quite close in my analysis, which seems to have triggered a “does not compute” response from a few folks responding to this thread. WhiteWi, I’m looking forward to your thumbs down!

My ultimate decision will come down to a few things: 1) the available tax credit at the time of purchase, 2) which car gets here first, and 3) any new relevant information that comes along. On item 3, I am not actively looking for any more information as I think I already have enough to make a decision.

As of today, both of the cars I’m looking at are the same price (~$54K) based on when I locked in my Y order. FYI, I did change my MME order to the Rte 1 AWD since I first posted. If both cars were here today and I were forced to choose, I would go Ford due to the $7500 tax credit. If they both showed up in January and the $8K credit for Tesla becomes real so they are again about the same price, I would take the Y. In other words, I do think the Y offers more value than the Ford at the same price. That conclusion is based on all the terrific feedback I’ve received from all of you.

By the way, I did put my Y order on hold until Jan 1 to ensure there is more clarity on the tax law. It is likely I won’t see either car until sometime in the Spring, and I’m not in a rush. When that time comes, I assure you I will have no problem deciding. So please no more posts asking why I haven’t made up my mind!

Lol Ford marked up all their MachE for exact amount of fed credit. You won’t see Y anytime soon if you unlock your Model Y in January as of right now waiting times are deep in June next year. Good luck. Just go and buy ford already. But you have been warned about insufficient charging network and lame battery tech and infotainment system, stealership experience and car falling apart in few years.

Reactions: outdoors
Lol Ford Tesla marked up all their MachE Model Ys for exact amount of fed credit. You won’t see Y anytime soon if you unlock your Model Y in January as of right now waiting times are deep in June next year. Good luck. Just go and buy ford already. But you have been warned about insufficient charging network and lame battery tech and infotainment system, stealership experience and car falling apart in few years.
Oops, I think I spotted a typo! Fixed it!

As far as I've seen, Ford has only dropped their prices, not raised them. Of course that could change tomorrow. And sadly, I cannot "just go and buy the Ford already." Mine is on order and probably won't arrive for at least 4-5 months. I suppose I could beg my dealer to sell me the next one they get at a $10K markup, but nope, not gonna do that. We'll see about wait times on the Tesla when I remove my hold. I bet it will be sooner than June, though my magic 8 ball hasn't been reliable lately.

Yes, I've been warned about how horrible the Ford will be. If I do get it and things are really that bad, you have my permission to tell me that you told me so.

Oops, I think I spotted a typo! Fixed it!

As far as I've seen, Ford has only dropped their prices, not raised them. Of course that could change tomorrow. And sadly, I cannot "just go and buy the Ford already." Mine is on order and probably won't arrive for at least 4-5 months. I suppose I could beg my dealer to sell me the next one they get at a $10K markup, but nope, not gonna do that. We'll see about wait times on the Tesla when I remove my hold. I bet it will be sooner than June, though my magic 8 ball hasn't been reliable lately.

Yes, I've been warned about how horrible the Ford will be. If I do get it and things are really that bad, you have my permission to tell me that you told me so.
Window sticker 48900+ they sell it for 53900+ Amazing deal. And they promote it that it is after 1600 price drop lol 5 in stock why wait? Just ask them to transfer it to your dealer and enjoy your overpriced old tech.

Window sticker 48900+ they sell it for 53900+ Amazing deal. And they promote it that it is after 1600 price drop lol 5 in stock why wait? Just ask them to transfer it to your dealer and enjoy your overpriced old tech.
That is the dealer markup, not Ford. That is one of the advantages of Tesla, no shady dealers out there trying to make an extra buck off you with excessive ADM. And I don’t need to go all the way to Georgia to get that treatment either, the local dealers here in California are just as willing to screw me over. Also, those cars they say are in stock probably aren’t. Fortunately we can shop around. My dealer has ordered the MME for me at MSRP with only $85 documentation fee and no other undisclosed fees beyond tax, registration, etc. Yes, it’s in writing. It can be done. I’m not a fan of the dealership model and won’t defend it. I much prefer the Tesla model. But once I get my car, I’m done with the sales process so I won’t let it sway my decision.

I'm not sure anyone mentioned the inherent limitations of the Mach E battery? It has a far inferior battery cooling design. I predict they will recall all of them, just like Nissan and Chevy did with almost the same design. I'm a mechanical designer, worked in the stationary battery storage space for years, now working on e bikes. I won't consider a Ford until they get liquid cooling in between the cells where it belongs. Right now, it's in the flat plate under the edge.

I don't love a lot of stuff about the Y, and I'm about to make my own knobs to control the fan, heat and vents, tuck them into the front console storage. Even with the voice control, it's awkward. But Tesla batteries last, so far everyone else's die an early death.

Read this one yet? I'd never buy that car, as is:

I would go Ford due to the $7500 tax credit.
The Tesla supercharger is worth the $7500 difference. This is how much I dislike EVGo and Electrify America (even though this was FREE for ID.4 owners - like me).

Since you said you charge mostly at home, it doesn't matter because you won't have to deal with public DC fast chargers. Whatever comes first and has the $7500 credit is probably your best bet.

If I personally buy the Mach-E I have on order... it will be a commuter car from home + work where I have charging.

The Tesla supercharger is worth the $7500 difference. This is how much I dislike EVGo and Electrify America (even though this was FREE for ID.4 owners - like me).

Since you said you charge mostly at home, it doesn't matter because you won't have to deal with public DC fast chargers. Whatever comes first and has the $7500 credit is probably your best bet.

If I personally buy the Mach-E I have on order... it will be a commuter car from home + work where I have charging.
This, so much. Supercharger network was a big part of why I bought my M3P instead of a non-Tesla EV. I mean there's a lot I like about the M3P, I really like it a lot, but another EV I tested really won me over (not the Mach-E)...except for the terrible charging situation (and a bit less range).

That is the dealer markup, not Ford. That is one of the advantages of Tesla, no shady dealers out there trying to make an extra buck off you with excessive ADM. And I don’t need to go all the way to Georgia to get that treatment either, the local dealers here in California are just as willing to screw me over. Also, those cars they say are in stock probably aren’t. Fortunately we can shop around. My dealer has ordered the MME for me at MSRP with only $85 documentation fee and no other undisclosed fees beyond tax, registration, etc. Yes, it’s in writing. It can be done. I’m not a fan of the dealership model and won’t defend it. I much prefer the Tesla model. But once I get my car, I’m done with the sales process so I won’t let it sway my decision.
Be aware Northern California Ford dealers are playing games with popular vehicles. My neighbor ordered a van and it came in. Dealer wanted $10,000 over his quoted price to sell him the car he speced. He pointed to the number on the quote printout and they said we ordered 10 of these and this is the only one that has come on. We are getting offers of $15,000 over the list. We don't have a lot of cars to sell and need to sell everyone for the maximum price.

They held firm and my neighbor walked and says he will never get another Ford.

Be aware Northern California Ford dealers are playing games with popular vehicles. My neighbor ordered a van and it came in. Dealer wanted $10,000 over his quoted price to sell him the car he speced. He pointed to the number on the quote printout and they said we ordered 10 of these and this is the only one that has come on. We are getting offers of $15,000 over the list. We don't have a lot of cars to sell and need to sell everyone for the maximum price.

This should be illegal.

Not surprising at all. I have heard similar stories. This is probably why Ford includes a line that says “Difference from total MSRP” on my online order page, which also includes a confirmation that my dealer has accepted this order. See screenshot. I’ve also heard that other people have been surprised to see their local dealer added a figure of several thousand to this line before accepting the order. Had this been the case for me, I would have demanded my deposit back and gone to another dealer. I talked to the dealer and got a verbal commitment before placing the order, which is the best way to do it.
0F7D440E-30C1-4162-8134-415368737540.png

Not surprising at all. I have heard similar stories. This is probably why Ford includes a line that says “Difference from total MSRP” on my online order page, which also includes a confirmation that my dealer has accepted this order. See screenshot. I’ve also heard that other people have been surprised to see their local dealer added a figure of several thousand to this line before accepting the order. Had this been the case for me, I would have demanded my deposit back and gone to another dealer. I talked to the dealer and got a verbal commitment before placing the order, which is the best way to do it. View attachment 730343
Have you clicked the "E23" to see what it says?

Also, I should check my F-150 Lighting order for these games.

And not sure going to another dealer would have changed the story. The dealer lots here in the Tri-Valley are empty. Maybe 10 cars on a lot made for 200 cars.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
Not surprising at all. I have heard similar stories. This is probably why Ford includes a line that says “Difference from total MSRP” on my online order page, which also includes a confirmation that my dealer has accepted this order. See screenshot. I’ve also heard that other people have been surprised to see their local dealer added a figure of several thousand to this line before accepting the order. Had this been the case for me, I would have demanded my deposit back and gone to another dealer. I talked to the dealer and got a verbal commitment before placing the order, which is the best way to do it. View attachment 730343
Verbal commitment means nothing!