Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't know there were youtube reliability videos of people getting full poopy-face over the charger experience. "MY" super awsome experience has been mine, and fellow non-tesla owners putting in a excel with who, what, where has screwed you, then contact the company, not make a youtube cause your tiny feelings got smooshed....I'm guessing the angry is your own feelings, hahahaha. and really, what does this all have to do with, a model y vs a MACH... stay classy, so you do have an interest...though so

END OF LINE...
Hi, I am a big skeptic of the ability of any presently available non-Tesla charging network to do work reliably, but I don't think the deference in opinions necessitates a poop-fight. The TMC place is very different from many other forums, such as MachEforum, in that all sort of opinions, no matter how wrong, biased, or pre-paid, are reasonably tolerated here. We had FordMME personality here who had this problem of low tolerance towards reality, but nevertheless s/he was fun and nobody banned him. So... please, tone down. Thanks.

Can somebody translate what this guy is saying? lol

It's like he's trying to be some type of internet tough guy.. but also doesn't seem to type or speak English very well.
hhaaahhah you got me I was typing so fast had diarrhea of the fingers
and can't edit
SHOW US ON THE BEAR WHERE THE INTERNET HURT YOU,....if we met in public, we'd both be laughing....but I am pretty tough, I'm on my 3rd marriage

• Funny
Reactions: Zorg
UM----YEA....just curious, what other EV's you've owned, and done any cross country trips? I'm asking cause crossed USA with a AZURE, LEVEL II only, and a bolt with a camper back there. My post was a combo of real world vs some sarcasm, two chargers in heavily EV owed areas with only Electrify America, 4 CCS, only 2 work, trouble tickets in since AUG.. your turn, my two favorites are Snoqualmie pass Washington state, and going to Denver----Denver is great seeing everyone crowd around a 14-50 plug to get "OVER" the hump...BUT HEA, WHAT happened TO HELPING pEPP_O_RONI FIND HIS DREAM CAR, not defend a charging group you have a financial interest in.

Steve
That's the thing about charge networks, though, it is all local. Up until very recently, ccs covered one of my common routes was better covered by ccs than Tesla.

The northeast isn't quite like that, but ccs is really common enough to be less likely to be a problem. Well, at least until you get really really northeast, into Maine. Then Tesla has a fairly substantial advantage again.

That's the thing about charge networks, though, it is all local. Up until very recently, ccs covered one of my common routes was better covered by ccs than Tesla.

The northeast isn't quite like that, but ccs is really common enough to be less likely to be a problem. Well, at least until you get really really northeast, into Maine. Then Tesla has a fairly substantial advantage again.
Did EA ever admit their infamous holiday shutdown was wrong, or promise to never deliberately do that again? It's mind boggling to me that such a thing was approved internally there.

EA is based out of the EAST COAST, so they do a great job close to home, between Washington state to California, see banks of chargers down. at one there was a contractor yelling at EA, he had the charging tower open, was a problem between the server inside, and transfer power from street power to the charge cord. I have a 70% success with EA. but had failure with EVER ONE, commercial charger at least once. everyone with a fast charger went to the department of defense model, and got the lowest bidder. Put in plugshare so other drives get a warning, contact the owner of the charger. I am a tad worried when our lord and savior Elon, allows other cars on the network...this is what everyone thinks, why not, everyone pitch in for chargers, gas company did spring up over night...ok, ok, going DB Cooper again, trying to help this dude decide a car!!!!!

hhaaahhah you got me I was typing so fast had diarrhea of the fingers
and can't edit
SHOW US ON THE BEAR WHERE THE INTERNET HURT YOU,....if we met in public, we'd both be laughing....but I am pretty tough, I'm on my 3rd marriage
All good man! I'll be the first to buy you a beer if we met in person.

Seriously. I totally understand that we got it good on the East Coast. Its a ton of chargers here. But for people in the middle of the country its much, much harder finding places. Somebody said something like there is only 4 Superchargers in the entire state of Idaho or Iowa.. or something like that. I probably have 6 Superchargers within like 20 miles of my house. We are definitely spoiled!

Also thank you for the head up on EA. I had no idea they were based out of the East Coast. I definitely checked the EA map before allowing my wife to buy the ID.4 and one of the things I remember is they also have a ton of chargers in this area. I did sign up for Plugshare though.. just in case I need to report a broken charger or find some other charger besides EA. The main reason Im using EA is because the ID.4 came with 3 years of free charging. I believe the MME only comes with like 250kW of free charging.

Yeah I remember MKBHD posting a YouTube video about that (which is probably where I got the "Did you watch that on a YT video question from").

But he took at Model S Plaid, Mach-E, and Audi S4 upstate NY. When they got really upstate in NY, they ran into broken 50kW chargers and had to drive all the way to Vermont to find the nearest charger. To be honest there really weren't any Superchargers either. The only reason the Model S was able to make it to their final destination is that it had a lot more range than the MME. Once they actually got to the destination.. they had to use the destination chargers at the location to make it back home because there was no DC fast chargers around.

Seriously. I totally understand that we got it good on the East Coast. Its a ton of chargers here. But for people in the middle of the country its much, much harder finding places. Somebody said something like there is only 4 Superchargers in the entire state of Idaho or Iowa.. or something like that. I probably have 6 Superchargers within like 20 miles of my house. We are definitely spoiled!
BRO---drive across WYOMING....you'll feel like Neil Armstrong, DAY (2). We went to NY/CT and was like, well, glad we brought the Tesla (destination) adapter, but was impossible between MA. to VA. to not find a charger, if it's taken, usually open in the time to get something to drink. Idaho going to Utah I have a bag of 50 adapters, a couple that just got their model 3 were driving to Colorado, we shared my charger twice, cause they were new at the EV ownership...2 realllllly long climes and you watch SOC drop like your bank account in Vegas, there's a 14-50 plug, said, meet us here, left them the cord, hour later, they caught up, did that twice more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am a big skeptic of the ability of any presently available non-Tesla charging network to do work reliably, but I don't think the deference in opinions necessitates a poop-fight. The TMC place is very different from many other forums, such as MachEforum, in that all sort of opinions, no matter how wrong, biased, or pre-paid, are reasonably tolerated here. We had FordMME personality here who had this problem of low tolerance towards reality, but nevertheless s/he was fun and nobody banned him. So... please, tone down. Thanks.
One of the things I love about this forum is that they DO allow discussion of other vehicles. And I personally love the comparison and the conversation. Let's be real, this might be Tesla Motors Club.. but we are all paying attention to the entire EV market. There are new EV's coming out every day, new charging & battery technology, and of course new legislation in Congress that will benefit all EV owners.

EV owners already have it bad enough fighting against ICE-assholes who do things like purposely block our chargers or take our precious EV charging parking spots. If there was ever a time to stick together and fight for the main cause.. its definitely to get as many EV's sold and EV chargers installed as possible. The more EV's sold, the more EV chargers available, and more competition means the more variety and lower prices we all pay for this technology. It's my personal belief in 10 years.. EV charging stations will be as common as gas stations. And you will be able to jump off any highway exit and find a DC fast charger waiting to fill up your battery!

FWIW.. my first EV consideration was the MME. The main reason I bought the Model Y instead was the Supercharger network and guaranteed resale value. A year later I have no regrets and there is a good chance I will be buying either an MME GT or MYP in the future, as I'd love to get an even faster EV. As you can imagine part of me is very excited to see how well my wife does with the ID.4, because if the EA network treats her right.. then that solves half of my worries about getting an MME GT. MME GT also still qualifies for the original $7,500 tax credit.. so that helps alleviate the other half of my worries about any resale value or depreciation concerns on buying a non-Tesla EV.

Also thank you for the head up on EA. I had no idea they were based out of the East Coast. I definitely checked the EA map before allowing my wife to buy the ID.4 and one of the things I remember is they also have a ton of chargers in this area. I did sign up for Plugshare though.. just in case I need to report a broken charger or find some other charger besides EA. The main reason Im using EA is because the ID.4 came with 3 years of free charging. I believe the MME only comes with like 250kW of free charging.
The cool thing about plugshare is when you plug in your destination (maybe not so cool) is you can check elevation. so you have to mathlete. there's two routes here in Washington state, that have fast chargers past the summit(s) at one location, you charge, 4000 feet over 40 miles, and your sweating. so when we go anywhere, and plot on plugshare I check elevation, also compare to what I save as baseline -cle elum to Wenatchee-,(check it out on plugshare start at the coffee shop (has a Tesla lounge) that tells me, I'll have like 30 miles of distance from climbing once over the summit.
Yeah I remember MKBHD posting a YouTube video about that (which is probably where I got the "Did you watch that on a YT video question from").

But he took at Model S Plaid, Mach-E, and Audi S4 upstate NY. When they got really upstate in NY, they ran into broken 50kW chargers and had to drive all the way to Vermont to find the nearest charger. To be honest there really weren't any Superchargers either. The only reason the Model S was able to make it to their final destination is that it had a lot more range than the MME. Once they actually got to the destination.. they had to use the destination chargers at the location to make it back home because there was no DC fast chargers around.
I just watched the vid you mentioned...was more critical of the day vs trends. have a monopod for EVGO cause their cords sag and trip the charger, same with greenlots. EA takes great care out east, out west, watching A-B-C electric on the phone getting mixed help, makes an easy choice to slip into a Tesla. I was in the navy for 20 years and over think a bunch, so on long trips, there's a lot of, at 55 MPH we can get blah, but to this charger at 110 miles away, we want to do 80+ so we are at 20-30% son.

Reactions: Daekwan
EDIT + 2 I just watched the vid you mentioned...was more critical of the day vs trends. have a monopod for EVGO cause their cords sag and trip the charger, same with greenlots. EA takes great care out east, out west, watching A-B-C electric on the phone getting mixed help, makes an easy choice to slip into a Tesla. I was in the navy for 20 years and over think a bunch, so on long trips, there's a lot of, at 55 MPH we can get blah, but to this charger at 110 miles away, we want to do 80+MPH so we are at 20-30% ...SOC, damn auto correct vs typing with fat buger fingers

America has the best engineering schools in the world and the Big 3 seems to hire their engineers from the bottom of the graduating class. I am so done with Ford, GM and Chrysler.
I don't think that's actually the problem.

One of the things I love about this forum is that they DO allow discussion of other vehicles. And I personally love the comparison and the conversation. Let's be real, this might be Tesla Motors Club.. but we are all paying attention to the entire EV market. There are new EV's coming out every day, new charging & battery technology, and of course new legislation in Congress that will benefit all EV owners.

EV owners already have it bad enough fighting against ICE-assholes who do things like purposely block our chargers or take our precious EV charging parking spots. If there was ever a time to stick together and fight for the main cause.. its definitely to get as many EV's sold and EV chargers installed as possible. The more EV's sold, the more EV chargers available, and more competition means the more variety and lower prices we all pay for this technology. It's my personal belief in 10 years.. EV charging stations will be as common as gas stations. And you will be able to jump off any highway exit and find a DC fast charger waiting to fill up your battery!

FWIW.. my first EV consideration was the MME. The main reason I bought the Model Y instead was the Supercharger network and guaranteed resale value. A year later I have no regrets and there is a good chance I will be buying either an MME GT or MYP in the future, as I'd love to get an even faster EV. As you can imagine part of me is very excited to see how well my wife does with the ID.4, because if the EA network treats her right.. then that solves half of my worries about getting an MME GT. MME GT also still qualifies for the original $7,500 tax credit.. so that helps alleviate the other half of my worries about any resale value or depreciation concerns on buying a non-Tesla EV.
How do you feel about the interior of ID.4? Does it feel much smaller than Model Y? It’s narrower and shorter on paper so I’m just wondering how it actually feels compared to MY. Thanks.

Are you seriously claiming that cooling in an ICE engine is the same as cooling for a lithium battery? You say you're an engineer yet you seem to have trouble grasping basic engineering concepts.

You are correct - there are plenty of reliable yet complex cooling systems, but all things being equal, more failure points mean a higher likelihood of failure and Ford has not exactly been known to be at the pinnacle of reliability. (I'm not commenting on or defending Tesla's reliability here, just stating facts about Ford.)

Temperature management is a known requirement for Li batteries - even your cordless drill batteries have circuitry to monitor and manage overheating. If you don't you can significantly compromise the performance and life of the battery. The fact that Ford needs to throttle their battery at all tells me their temperature management system is sub-optimal and is likely to affect the battery, whether it's being throttled or not.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy - it doesn't bother or threaten me to say that the MME is a strong first attempt by Ford and has definite potential, but I also see signifiant potential problems and would think twice before buying one.
Im not saying it’s the same, I’m saying that using rubber hoses instead of rigid plastic pipes (which is the biggest difference between the Tesla products and the MachE’s cooling systems that for some reason Tesla fanatics have lost their *sugar* over after watching Monroe’s videos) isn’t some incredible physical handicap. ICE engines run significantly hotter than Lithium batteries, and all of which use rubber or silicon hoses. The MME GT in particular has weird issues with throttling that I’ll guarantee is software related, the regular ones don’t throttle. Ford is already not making money on those things and I think they’re being paranoid and trying to avoid future warranty work by building in massive charging buffers and throttling the GTs

Last edited:
Im not saying it’s the same, I’m saying that using rubber hoses instead of rigid plastic pipes (which is the biggest difference between the Tesla products and the MachE’s cooling systems that for some reason Tesla fanatics have lost their *sugar* over after watching Monroe’s videos) isn’t some incredible physical handicap. ICE engines run significantly hotter than Lithium batteries, and all of which use rubber or silicon hoses.
I don't think that's an accurate summarization of the differences between cooling systems. Go watch the Munro tear down and analysis again, it's the overcomplicated design, and coolant volume commensurate with all the preceding that he's knocking, not the hose material. Hoses are cheap and easy to replace, the question is why is there so dang much of it in the Mach E?

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 7.05.50 PM.png

Last edited:
Another reason to pick the Tesla (from the macheclub forum):

"The electric cabin heater uses a lot of energy and reduces the range of the vehicle. I have used only the seat and steering wheel heaters which have worked great except I get cold feet, literally. I will be wearing warmer socks, but that isn't enough. Does anyone know a way to turn off all the heat vents except to the driver's side or drivers and passenger's side feet area? I am not sure if this would help the car efficiency if it was much less heat filling the whole car. If Ford reads this could you engineer a solution to this?"

Reactions: jsight