Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that's an accurate summarization of the differences between cooling systems. Go watch the Munro tear down and analysis again, it's the overcomplicated design, and coolant volume commensurate with all the preceding that he's knocking, not the hose material. Hoses are cheap and easy to replace, the question is why is there so dang much of it in the Mach E?

View attachment 746886

so what you are saying is that you get more hose with the mach-e than the model y.

1. You are asking on a Tesla forum so yes get a Tesla
2. Mach E charging will be slow as crap on a road trip
3. Mach E is still brand new from an ICE mainly manufacturer so lots of things to work out. Already been plenty of Mach E buy backs
4. Of and it is STUPID they associated the Mustang name. It is nothing like a Mustang. That was a leap for them to try and sell some SUV as a Mustang

Reactions: Whatstreet
I don't think that's an accurate summarization of the differences between cooling systems. Go watch the Munro tear down and analysis again, it's the overcomplicated design, and coolant volume commensurate with all the preceding that he's knocking, not the hose material. Hoses are cheap and easy to replace, the question is why is there so dang much of it in the Mach E?

View attachment 746886
Not denying that it's an antiquated and overly complicated/heavy way to cool the car, and also especially stupid to throttle a performance car in less than its 1/4 mile time. My point has always been that that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't an effective cooling system for the electric motors which for some reason everyone is inferring from that tear down and comparison; and that the MachE GT throttling is almost certainly Ford being overly conservative and programming in restrictions to avoid the risk of exceeding the budget they are accruing for warranty parts and labor.

How do you feel about the interior of ID.4? Does it feel much smaller than Model Y? It’s narrower and shorter on paper so I’m just wondering how it actually feels compared to MY. Thanks.
Feels somewhat spacious to me. Granted this Model Y, MME, ID4, Ioniq 5, etc.. all the same class of vehicle. So it's really about being able to fit 4 full-size adults for most trips.. and 5th adult in an emergency. Or more like two full-size adults upfront.. 2 child seats in the back. And that's exactly what we are doing. I'm 6'3" 260lbs.. wife is 5'10" 140lbs.. so we are big people. That said even with the front facing car seats in the back and 4-year-old twins.. it seems to be comfortable seating. Will know exactly how comfortable once we take this 500 mile roundrip.

I do believe the Model Y has about 3 more inches of combined legroom.. but again with all the price increases on the Model Y.. the price now basically overwhelms any other comparison. At the end of the day, you still have to ask yourself is 3 extra inches of legroom worth $20K more? When the Model Y LR AWD was priced at $50K, I thought it was one of the best deals on the EV market. With the Model Y LR AWD now priced at $60K, I wouldn't buy it. Nothing personal again the Model Y (hell I own one).. its just too much money for the vehicle. Tesla needs to speed up production, lower the price.. or Congress needs to pass new tax credit legislation to make the current price Model Y LR AWD attractive again.

I took this screenshot when watching the review of my favorite car reviewer Alex on Autos. And he does a great job showing why the ID4 is so competitive. Here is the full video, definitely watch the entire video as he definitely compares it to the Model Y:

1640210316668.png

I do believe the Model Y has about 3 more inches of combined legroom.. but again with all the price increases on the Model Y.. the price now basically overwhelms any other comparison. At the end of the day, you still have to ask yourself is 3 extra inches of legroom worth $20K more? When the Model Y LR AWD was priced at $50K, I thought it was one of the best deals on the EV market. With the Model Y LR AWD now priced at $60K, I wouldn't buy it. Nothing personal again the Model Y (hell I own one).. its just too much money for the vehicle. Tesla needs to speed up production, lower the price.. or Congress needs to pass new tax credit legislation to make the current price Model Y LR AWD attractive again.
I agree, at $60K, the Y is very expensive. At this point, it's $20K more than an ID.4 after incentives. That price differential is tough to swallow.

Reactions: Whatstreet
New member here, just ordered Model 3 LR beginning of Dec.
I was looking for a Mach E before ordering the Tesla, but the traditional dealership experience turned me off.
First, they have $5k markup, then the have all kinds of over priced additions that added about $10k to the price lol.
Got fed up, went to Tesla store and ordered a car without hassle. Although not the model Y, I think I made the right choice by going tesla.

New member here, just ordered Model 3 LR beginning of Dec.
I was looking for a Mach E before ordering the Tesla, but the traditional dealership experience turned me off.
First, they have $5k markup, then the have all kinds of over priced additions that added about $10k to the price lol.
Got fed up, went to Tesla store and ordered a car without hassle. Although not the model Y, I think I made the right choice by going tesla.
For you.

your how big????? sorry I was talking smack at ya over the internet....fudge

Feels somewhat spacious to me. Granted this Model Y, MME, ID4, Ioniq 5, etc.. all the same class of vehicle. So it's really about being able to fit 4 full-size adults for most trips.. and 5th adult in an emergency. Or more like two full-size adults upfront.. 2 child seats in the back. And that's exactly what we are doing. I'm 6'3" 260lbs.. wife is 5'10" 140lbs.. so we are big people. That said even with the front facing car seats in the back and 4-year-old twins.. it seems to be comfortable seating. Will know exactly how comfortable once we take this 500 mile roundrip.

Polestar has an acceleration boost available now. I wonder how that would affect the result. Seems like Tesla might give new M3Ps a bump in power soon too though with the upcoming rear motor change, but no guarantees about a power bump with that change yet.

For what it's worth his comments about how the P2P and M3P drive exactly matches my experience with them. Understeer in steady cornering (without trail braking) is what I was used to from my past sporty 4 door ICE cars (AWD and FWD), so the P2P's understeering didn't bother me at all, I think he should've tried a lap with aggressive trail braking. The P2P's Öhlins DFV suspension is way, way more composed and comfortable than the M3P while leaning less and responding much quicker. The car as a whole feels more structurally solid too. However he's right that the M3P feels more chuckable and tossable, thanks to its lower weight, quicker steering, and power oversteer tendencies. I'm getting used to helping the M3P rotate with the throttle in the dry (and wet), and I have to say it is pretty fun!

I think we've strayed pretty far off topic for Mach-E vs Model Y though. ;)

Polestar has an acceleration boost available now. I wonder how that would affect the result. Seems like Tesla might give new M3Ps a bump in power soon too though with the upcoming rear motor change, but no guarantees about a power bump with that change yet.

For what it's worth his comments about how the P2P and M3P drive exactly matches my experience with them. Understeer in steady cornering (without trail braking) is what I was used to from my past sporty 4 door ICE cars (AWD and FWD), so the P2P's understeering didn't bother me at all, I think he should've tried a lap with aggressive trail braking. The P2P's Öhlins DFV suspension is way, way more composed and comfortable than the M3P while leaning less and responding much quicker. The car as a whole feels more structurally solid too. However he's right that the M3P feels more chuckable and tossable, thanks to its lower weight, quicker steering, and power oversteer tendencies. I'm getting used to helping the M3P rotate with the throttle in the dry (and wet), and I have to say it is pretty fun!

I think we've strayed pretty far off topic for Mach-E vs Model Y though. ;)
Dude, this hasn't been a real thread for like 25 pages so no biggie. :D

Anyways, that's interesting what the Polestar Performance package brings, big Brembos, forged alloys, and Ohlins dampers. That's a heck of a package. I can see why it's more composed, though I'd expect it to be with the DFV valve tuning and presumably lower unsprung weight. That said though, it really shines a light on the platform differences. The Model 3 LR even with its crude and limited suspension is still more effective. This shows that the Tesla platform is just better and the 3 hasn't any mods.

Reactions: Daekwan
Dude, this hasn't been a real thread for like 25 pages so no biggie. :D
Whaat, say it ain't so! 😆

Anyways, that's interesting what the Polestar Performance package brings, big Brembos, forged alloys, and Ohlins dampers. That's a heck of a package. I can see why it's more composed, though I'd expect it to be with the DFV valve tuning and presumably lower unsprung weight.
When I was car shopping I saw complaints on the Polestar forums that their Performance package doesn't include more power like the M3P. On these forums I see complaints that the M3P doesn't feature a better suspension or forged wheels (and I'm one of those voices now). I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :) $5k for Öhlins DFV, big Brembos, and forged wheels is not bad at all, I'll be in deeper than that adding aftermarket Öhlins DFV and forged 18s to my M3P.

That said though, it really shines a light on the platform differences. The Model 3 LR even with its crude and limited suspension is still more effective. This shows that the Tesla platform is just better and the 3 hasn't any mods.
Oh I didn't realize he's testing an LR. No wonder he didn't like the brakes! The car they used for still photos is an M3P so I assumed the test car was too. Very confusing. Also very interesting that even an LR without Track Mode - i.e. with stability control fully on - was able to out-lap the P2P. Not sure I would've guessed that. I suspect the P2P is a car that might benefit greatly from some heavy trail braking which I don't think he did for his timed lap. Once I learned to really trail brake my understeery AWD ICE car into turns it was transformational, I could then get back on the power early and it would hold the rotation all the way around even the longest turns, no understeer at all when I got it right. It felt way better than fighting understeer and helped my lap times too.

I'm appreciating what the 3 can do stock a lot more now than on my test drives. It really is fun and loves to change direction and even kick the tail out. I mean I liked the 3 on my test drives too, that's why I bought it, but from my test drives I was definitely feeling the P2P more, it was really only the charging situation and range that kept me from buying one. Now I'm thinking I did end up with the overall more fun car, even if it's lacking in suspension refinement.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Whaat, say it ain't so! 😆

When I was car shopping I saw complaints on the Polestar forums that their Performance package doesn't include more power like the M3P. On these forums I see complaints that the M3P doesn't feature a better suspension or forged wheels (and I'm one of those voices now). I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :) $5k for Öhlins DFV, big Brembos, and forged wheels is not bad at all, I'll be in deeper than that adding aftermarket Öhlins DFV and forged 18s to my M3P.

Oh I didn't realize he's testing an LR. No wonder he didn't like the brakes! The car they used for still photos is an M3P so I assumed the test car was too. Very confusing. Also very interesting that even an LR without Track Mode - i.e. with stability control fully on - was able to out-lap the P2P. Not sure I would've guessed that. I suspect the P2P is a car that might benefit greatly from some heavy trail braking which I don't think he did for his timed lap. Once I learned to really trail brake my understeery AWD ICE car into turns it was transformational, I could then get back on the power early and it would hold the rotation all the way around even the longest turns, no understeer at all when I got it right. It felt way better than fighting understeer and helped my lap times too.

I'm appreciating what the 3 can do stock a lot more now than on my test drives. It really is fun and loves to change direction and even kick the tail out. I mean I liked the 3 on my test drives too, that's why I bought it, but from my test drives I was definitely feeling the P2P more, it was really only the charging situation and range that kept me from buying one. Now I'm thinking I did end up with the overall more fun car, even if it's lacking in suspension refinement.
Yea it's the LR. You can see it in the listed specs at the beginning. If it was the M3P, the P2P would not stand a chance. The stock M3P has already proven itself against the likes of the Taycan Turbo S on track, so a P2P hardly stands a chance. The hilarious thing with the Turbo S besides its price was that Porsche specifically made it supposedly so that it would not throttle for the length of the Nurburgring for one lap. In the Japan ALL GT EV series races are more than 13m of the Ring, so the Taycan S turns into a pumpkin after a few laps lmao. :D

Seems like Tesla might give new M3Ps a bump in power soon too though with the upcoming rear motor change, but no guarantees about a power bump with that change yet.

What's this talk about an upcoming motor change & more power? First I've heard on it. Wonder if the Y Performance will also get the added power?

I'm already considering a MYP.. and the most recent change from Pirelli summer tires to Michelin AS4's has sweetened the deal. But having more power (or lighter wheels) is enough change to definitely push me off the fence!

What's this talk about an upcoming motor change & more power? First I've heard on it. Wonder if the Y Performance will also get the added power?

That's all I know. It lists a new motor for the M3P but doesn't say whether it will make more power, nor whether MYP will get the new motor. I've been thinking the M3P is due for a power upgrade soon, the competition is catching up or has caught up already, so to me it makes sense that this revised motor will make more power. But there's nothing official about that yet.

Also that document is about European market cars, and no cars in European customer hands have any of those changes yet (as far as I know). I believe Tesla is moving all Euro market 3 and Y manufacturing to Shanghai and soon Berlin. It's very unclear when these changes will get rolled into Fremont and Austin. (Maybe Austin will start with most of them?) Some Shanghai cars for China market are showing up with Ryzen-based MCU (MCU3?) now though. Not sure if any of the other changes have been seen yet.

Lastly some of that stuff might never come to Fremont / Austin / US market - some of the changes are just switching to local European parts suppliers, as best I can tell.

Personally I think the Y could use more refinement well before more power. Some of these updates might help with that too.