Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Which wheels for P100DL?

Which wheels do you have on your P100DL?

Votes: 30 66.7%

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
I just ordered a P100DL yesterday and sold my 2015 P85D. I can't decide on 19 or 21 inch wheels. I'm afraid the staggered 19s won't give enough traction for 0-60 in 2.4. Any real world experience? (I'm sure this has come up many times, but a search didn't show the answer). Thanks.

P100D without 21’s?!

o_O

That is kind of my thought, except the Tesla sales guy originally clicked the 19s when we were configuring, and I had to tell him 21s. Then I came home and priced the tires, and the 19s are half the price and last much longer. So I'm tempted to get the 19s, but not if my acceleration will be slower because of limited traction.... This will be my 3rd Performance Model S, and I've always had 21s. I just don't know if they are necessary....

You can run 19’s and put sticky tires on them which still cost much less than 21” tires. It really depends on the balance between aesthetics and functionality you are looking for. I’m sure you are well familiar with the potential downside of 21’s on this forum.

I got the 21” sonic carbon wheels with my P100D but I’m thinking of selling them to go with 20” Tsportline wheels. They look like the arachnid but there are more tire options for 20”. I want a more comfortable ride, less prone to damage.

• Love
Reactions: BornToFly
Get the 19's with All Season tires and use them for road / snow trips... and save a bundle ($4,500) vs. buying the heavy Turbines from Tesla

Then buy a set of the significantly lighter, stronger, and better looking Arachnids with brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, TPMS and Tesla center caps from Craigslist or TMC for ~ $3,000.

Now you have TWO sets of tires & wheels... and saved $1,500. :D

Get the 19's with All Season tires and use them for road / snow trips... and save a bundle ($4,500) vs. buying the heavy Turbines from Tesla

Then buy a set of the significantly lighter, stronger, and better looking Arachnids with brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, TPMS and Tesla center caps from Craigslist or TMC for ~ $3,000.

Now you have TWO sets of tires & wheels... and saved $1,500. :D

This is the correct answer.

I just ordered a P100DL yesterday and sold my 2015 P85D. I can't decide on 19 or 21 inch wheels. I'm afraid the staggered 19s won't give enough traction for 0-60 in 2.4. Any real world experience? (I'm sure this has come up many times, but a search didn't show the answer). Thanks.

It depends on where you live. I had a P85D on 19s. There's a bit of an improvement on noise and range, but mostly it prevents a lot of quality curbside time up here in pothole country.

Reactions: jdw
7183B94C-330B-4B76-9C56-AA066DF692C0.jpeg
Get arachnid 21’s. At least they are forged and stronger than the Oem turbines..and lighter. Quickest acceleration and best handling of all the options.
THIS!

They’re what I have on my P100DL and I LOVE them

I don’t think most people could “feel” the difference in handling between a 19 and 21 inch tire. Especially on the street. Yes the 21 is a stiffer, but you are going to feel body roll and suspension travel. Not necessarily tire roll due to the sidewall height. Especially with the weight of this car and the traction control on. I think you can definitely feel the “comfort and less stiffness” of the 19s and the firmness of the 21s. But I still think most people could not feel the difference in performance. Also the difference between 0-60 in 2.4 and 2.8 and 3.2 sec unless you are drag racing is not going to matter. IMO. I think it’s a point of looks, difference in mileage and comfort. Once again just my opinion, but I was an instructor at a high performance driving school and on the track.

• Informative
When you get a p100d you get summer tires either way. You'll get great handling and no traction issues (once you break them in).

I personally got 19s which I'll keep for winter tires, and will be getting 20" t sportline wheels for coming summers. you need really well maintained roads for the 21s to not bend, though I've heard arachnids can handle worse roads.

See the many many threads comparing 19 and 21s

• Love

Replacing the 21" wheels with 19" wheels is one of the best upgrades I have done to my P100DL. I place a large premium on being able to get to my destination and back with a less of a chance of a tire failure and honestly with the horribly maintained DC roads, it was only going to be a matter of time until I would have to replace tires and wheels due to damage.

I am SO happy with the change to 19" wheels. The car feels smoother and I don't notice any difference in acceleration or handling.

People talk about wheel sizes a lot as if t were a religion but you know, you should pay more attention to the tires you get.

For the 19" wheels, I researched tires and ended up with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 PLUS tires and I'm so happy with that choice. They are just about the best rated all season tire on Tire Rack, recommended by Consumer Reports, and they are an ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE All Season tire.

So my recommendation is to go with 19" wheels with Pilot Sport A/S 3 PLUS tires.