Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filter in Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the one from Abstract Ocean and can tell a difference driving in city traffic with diesel cars in front of me. It’s made from a 3M Hepa filter but is nowhere near the thickness or size of the Model S or X biodefense HEPA filters. Best we can do though!

HEPA Cabin Air Filters for Model 3 (sold as a pair)

“Made as a perfect replacement for the factory filters (p/n 1107681-00-A), these add 3M HEPA filter media and activated carbon to keep the air inside your Model 3 beautifully clean.”

Thanks @Lox24 for bringing this up. My understanding is that it’s HEPA that does the best job of filtering particulates.
Another thing to go into that thread about stuff that’s missing from the Model 3.

Damn well need HEPA in fire season.
Also keep in mind the S/X have a positive cabin pressure system in addition the the huge HEPA filter. The positive pressure system is what really sets the S/X apart from anything else which of course the 3 can never achieve with a filter replacement. The size of the filter on the S/X is directly related to this as 100% of the new air must be pulled in through the filter. Without this system, that size filter would make no sense.

Still an upgraded filter would be better, but just like any other car.

Just using the stock filters on the Model 3, this is what the air quality looks like outside and inside today (400+ AQI, Melbourne):

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 1.58.55 pm.jpg

PM2.5 of 21 inside and PM2.5 of 222 outside. My house is about 150.

Overall, very impressive.

I have a HEPA filter on the way and I'll install it and compare. Suspect it will get a lot of use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 1.58.55 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 1.58.55 pm.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 493
Just using the stock filters on the Model 3, this is what the air quality looks like outside and inside today (400+ AQI, Melbourne):

View attachment 499850

I have a HEPA filter on the way and I'll install it and compare. Suspect it will get a lot of use.

@Lox24 thanks for that, great evidence. Can you please confirm that is with recirculating air TURNED OFF?

View attachment 499850

did you do the test?
Also why is Melbourne so dirty. Mt Isa has cleaner air lol.

I tried these HEPA on Amazon by Xtechnor - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HX67ZX/

I used Kool-it 2 cans and got rid of the musty smell i had with the OEM ones.

while the Xtechnor fit well, they smelled too much like charcoal, so I just switched it back today to the official tesla filters and the charcoal smell is gone. Perhaps the Teslarati ones in the first video above are better quality but I went with amazon since they were cheaper at $39 and appeared to be the same as the $99 teslarati ones. Are the Teslarati ones good smelling (i.e. no charcoal?)

I tried these HEPA on Amazon by Xtechnor - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HX67ZX/

I used Kool-it 2 cans and got rid of the musty smell i had with the OEM ones.

while the Xtechnor fit well, they smelled too much like charcoal, so I just switched it back today to the official tesla filters and the charcoal smell is gone. Perhaps the Teslarati ones in the first video above are better quality but I went with amazon since they were cheaper at $39 and appeared to be the same as the $99 teslarati ones. Are the Teslarati ones good smelling (i.e. no charcoal?)

not sure what the difference between these hepa filters are. they look all the same to me whether from china or from somewhere else.

i got mine from aliexpress for like 30 bucks and they dont smell. i dont think they make that much difference to odors getting inside the cabin though there probably is a slight improvement. i did add another (light) intake filter and together this did make quite a bit of a difference re: occasional exhaust smell when the car vents from the outside.

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates