Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen the overload of signage like this,, are they just making sure I know what road I'm on?
IMG_1114.jpg

This is starting to get frustrating. I got timely firmware updates from the time I took delivery in June, 2017 . . . until now. I've been stuck on 2018.10 for nearly two months as of today. I can't even get close to a firmware version that eventually might give me the improved nav system. I have a Wi-Fi range extender in the garage that gives the car a "4-bar" signal, but I've received no notifications or updates since early March. It's starting to seem strange to have some owners groping about with firmware 2-4 versions behind those that are prevalent in most of the country. I realize that the maps are a big download, but the firmware is not. What is going on?
I'm still on 10.4 too. 6 weeks now. I've done reboots and watched traffic across the router, and everything seems fine. Just have to wait.

I'm not even sure what I'm waiting for aside from a better navigation service / algorithm. I don't understand the "maps" update. I have new satellite imagery on the CID, but I don't think those are "maps." And I understand there are new depictions of streets w/ turns on the IC, but I don't think those are "maps" either. So, I'm trying to ignore it which helps my frustration about not getting an update. :D

I'm still on 10.4 too. 6 weeks now. I've done reboots and watched traffic across the router, and everything seems fine. Just have to wait.
I'm not even sure what I'm waiting for aside from a better navigation service . . . . So, I'm trying to ignore it which helps my frustration about not getting an update. :D

I'm trying that approach, too. It's just the unprecedented duration of this upgrade drought that had me wondering if something might be "broken." At least my heated steering wheel still works, as opposed to those with 2018.16, but that gives little solace now that temps are in the 70s. At least it's good to know I'm not the only one. You know, misery loves company. ;)

So, I never got a 'maps' notification, I'm on 2018.12, and I just today got a 'nav' notification (meaning the add-on to the same release notes I've had since March). What do I have? :D

The IC maps still look 'angled' not 'overhead' but they look more blue lines and white dots (verified from a pic that these are the new maps...).

I thought you had to have 'maps' before you got 'nav' and you always got both messages in the release notes, but I've been on 2018.12 for a month. Also thought 'nav' 'required' 2018.14.x but perhaps that was just a guess people had based on timing?

Little confused here! Edit: I've decided I have the maps and missed the 'new maps' message somehow. Very weird...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
So, I never got a 'maps' notification, I'm on 2018.12, and I just today got a 'nav' notification (meaning the add-on to the same release notes I've had since March). What do I have? :D

The IC maps still look 'angled' not 'overhead' but they look more blue lines and white dots (verified from a pic that these are the new maps...).

I thought you had to have 'maps' before you got 'nav' and you always got both messages in the release notes, but I've been on 2018.12 for a month. Also thought 'nav' 'required' 2018.14.x but perhaps that was just a guess people had based on timing?

Little confused here! Edit: I've decided I have the maps and missed the 'new maps' message somehow. Very weird...

I don't believe there's separate windows. The only driver-visible bit is the nav message.

• Funny
Reactions: detlefo
There's no 'maps have been installed' message? I've seen tons of posts about it before the whole nav thing started. It may have been replaced by the nav 'concept'/message.... But it does look like it you have nav, you have maps. :D

As I said, nav = maps but not really. There is a vector google map update that will supposedly come down the pike but what everyone is getting is Tesla Nav Beta. It has new maps in the IC (which is why everyone says new maps!) and it changes the MCU maps (Tesla Beta Nav with Google Power!) but its not the vector maps for the MCU.

As I said, nav = maps but not really. There is a vector google map update that will supposedly come down the pike but what everyone is getting is Tesla Nav Beta. It has new maps in the IC (which is why everyone says new maps!) and it changes the MCU maps (Tesla Beta Nav with Google Power!) but its not the vector maps for the MCU.
So are there actually two data sets of streets, intersections, etc. (things that would make up a “map”): one map being the one the nav system uses and the other being the map that the mcu uses to draw your route? And none of this has anything to do with the pictures that make up the layers displayed in the MCU, right?

I’ve been following the thread since post 1 and am still totally confused.

Edit: I guess to me the rendering of the route, turn instructions, signs, etc in the IC is a new way of rendering the route, not actually a new map. A new map would contain new data. I might just be tied up in semantics.

Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva and croman
I still can’t trust new nav about half the time. Still using google maps on my iphone for nav because it always gets me the proper and quickest route.
Yep. The ‘new nav’ still hasn’t changed the routing on one test route I use which is to Tesla Tyson’s. Still makes you go across traffic and not around a slightly longer route that is actually quicker (the google way).

So; I think all we have so far is prettier pictures.

This forum needs a community wiki & "useful posts" thread features like some of the other sites (like slickdeals.net) have... that will be immensely useful for long threads like this one
Some threads have that (and any thread can) but you then need people to use it, updating the main post. The X reset thread is one good example.

Any such general wiki would need a librarian/database admin to maintain it.

Some threads have that (and any thread can) but you then need people to use it, updating the main post. The X reset thread is one good example.

Any such general wiki would need a librarian/database admin to maintain it.
Oh, I didn't know that... How do you do it? If I wanted to add some facts to this thread on the first page that everyone can reference, how do I do it? The point with some other forums is that the "community" maintains the wiki, not just the admins, or the moderators, or the OP.

Just to be clear there is no vector map update thats coming, it's simply a config change on the CID. No updates are required, Tesla or avid tinkerers just need to flip a config variable for vector maps.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Geisha31 and croman
Oh, I didn't know that... How do you do it? If I wanted to add some facts to this thread on the first page that everyone can reference, how do I do it? The point with some other forums is that the "community" maintains the wiki, not just the admins, or the moderators, or the OP.
ANY new thread can be a wiki thread, but I believe the only option is open for all. Take a look the next time you create a thread, I was pretty sure that was the case, unless the option has disappeared!

Edit: yeah, it seems to be gone.... Let me see about that....

Edit2: Looks like the recent (not that recent) software upgrade removed that option....

Last edited:
Just to be clear there is no vector map update thats coming, it's simply a config change on the CID. No updates are required, Tesla or avid tinkerers just need to flip a config variable for vector maps.

That's no different than the IC map/nav though, right? VG unlocked that months and months ago without any update. I wonder when Tesla will deem us Plebs worthy of the vector maps for the MCU (or can MCU1 not handle it well?)

That's no different than the IC map/nav though, right? VG unlocked that months and months ago without any update. I wonder when Tesla will deem us Plebs worthy of the vector maps for the MCU (or can MCU1 not handle it well?)

No, it the map update required downloading all the maps that weren’t present, but the code to run the maps was present for a very long time.

The vector maps change is basically a google maps api change to use vector map tiles vs standard tiles from googles api. No download or anything required just a GUI_UseVectorMaps : true ( roughly, that’s not the actual config name ), but I’m sure you get the point.

• Informative
Reactions: croman