Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Here’s the problem for those of us who live in apartments and garage our cars in underground garages: no WiFi! When maps updates depend on WiFi for installation, and you don’t have WiFi, you don’t get the updates. Ever.
I'm pretty sure my last 3 updates were NOT on WiFi. All happened when I was out of town, and on my last day out of town... so it isn't like it was downloaded on WiFi and processed for a few days (I also checked my network log... no significant WiFi traffic prior to update).

This, of course, may not apply to maps. But Firmware really doesn't care from my experience.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Another reason to visit McDonalds ( for the WiFi ).
HA! Been there done that and got screwed..... (on my part- yes I know). I had the WiFi added from a McDonald’s and one day I used the phone app to start the car (couldn’t easily find the key and had to leave). I get to McDonald’s > Park > come back and the app wouldn’t connect to car to unlock.... uh oh...

Turns out it connected to the WiFi but because I didn’t agree to T&C, it connected without a valid IP.
I no joke had to climb through the sunroof like a crazy maniac and hear the car alarm go off until I could disconnect WiFi and have the app reconnect...

HA! Been there done that and got screwed..... (on my part- yes I know). I had the WiFi added from a McDonald’s and one day I used the phone app to start the car (couldn’t easily find the key and had to leave). I get to McDonald’s > Park > come back and the app wouldn’t connect to car to unlock.... uh oh...

Turns out it connected to the WiFi but because I didn’t agree to T&C, it connected without a valid IP.
I no joke had to climb through the sunroof like a crazy maniac and hear the car alarm go off until I could disconnect WiFi and have the app reconnect...
I've never been able to connect to wifi that required a browser-based login.

• Helpful
The SC will install it for you when your car is in I suspect, or just pull into the SC lot and wait =)

The problem is that unless you're rooted, you might be waiting a long time because you don't know if your car is selected for the update. I wish they had a "your car has been selected for an update! Please connect to WIFI for a faster download" or something to let you know..

I got 2018.12 a few days ago, but no new maps yet. And it has a strong WIFI signal (with an AP just for it).

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Got my update a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. For the routes I take the navigation is vastly improved. Better routes, doesn't try to make me do impossible things, and ETA is very accurate.

I used to routinely run Waze or Google Maps on a phone mounted in the car, but I don't bother with that now. The new navigation is that good.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Got my update a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. For the routes I take the navigation is vastly improved. Better routes, doesn't try to make me do impossible things, and ETA is very accurate.

I used to routinely run Waze or Google Maps on a phone mounted in the car, but I don't bother with that now. The new navigation is that good.

You're in Canada and you got the release notes saying you got new navigation? I think that's new no, I believe it's been USA only so far?

I got the new (BETA) maps update over the weekend (2016 Model S 85D AP1). I like the new driver display. My only real test so far indicates that the routing is much better. The old nav always took me down an older, slower road to get to the freeway, but the new nav takes the obviously better route.

I never had a huge problem with the old nav though. Except for when it would route me off the freeway to go right back on the feeeway - fooled me twice before I learned to ignore that insanity. But haven’t had the opportunity to test the new nav on longer trips yet.

I’m still hoping for multi-point routing features in the future, but it isn’t there yet.