Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been on the boards as much (darn life stuff)

My car was updated Thursday. On WiFi. It basically listed the only change as being able to open the trunk from within the car or something along that. Not enough for me to really pay attention.

Then I was at my mom's house on Saturday. The car was home the majority of the time Friday. My car is not on WiFi at my moms, but, when I left her house Saturday (was there for 8 hours or so) I had a screen welcoming me to the new maps.

So, I am in the no. You do not need to be on WiFi to get your maps updated camp.

I am a bit dyslexic. I like the slightly more minimal screen and the ability to see upcoming turns, etc a little better.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GTKAZ and TaoJones
Moving beyond the debate of getting the new maps via wifi or LTE:

I have noticed two improvements to the navigation for me.
  1. There is a rutty, dirt and mud road in my area that is 1/4 mile shorter and the old navigation maps favored that routing. The new maps don't go that way
  2. A few places have improved road names where there were errors before.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Does anyone know if old non-AP cars from 2012 are even capable of using the new nav? I got an update yesterday that just added roadside assist dialing from the T logo at the top of the screen and nothing else.

Buddy of mine in a 13 non ap s85 got the firmware 18.12 update AND maps.
I got the update 6 days ago but no maps.. but I'm on a 6m dsl line at home :(

I just got home to my sweet wifi. Old nav warned me about I-90 being detoured but I ignored it and lost 1 hour stuck in traffic. I guess old nav isn't completely useless and I'm a fool for disregarding it (even if it was sending me through Amish country).

Reactions: mrElbe