Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using a 32A Commando isn’t much different from using a 3 pin UMC. The current might be higher but the voltage and the principle are the same. I’ve never heard anyone express concerns about the safety of the UMC, except that in some very old houses a continuous load of 10A might be too much for the dodgy wiring to the sockets. If that’s the case a commando properly wired into the consumer unit might actually be safer than a 3 pin UMC.
Exactly. I wouldn’t encourage anyone to install something that isn’t compliant with the regs, but some people seem to think that using a 32A commando is a sure guarantee of instantaneous death by electrocution. A bit like flying a kite in a thunderstorm. Commando sockets have been around for a heck of a lot longer than EV charge points. They are ubiquitous on marinas, caravan parks, building sights and many other places. The latest regs might add an extra element of safety, but when did you last hear of anyone being electrocuted by using a commando socket?

Reactions: RichardTheKing
Exactly. I wouldn’t encourage anyone to install something that isn’t compliant with the regs, but some people seem to think that using a 32A commando is a sure guarantee of instantaneous death by electrocution. A bit like flying a kite in a thunderstorm. Commando sockets have been around for a heck of a lot longer than EV charge points. They are ubiquitous on marinas, caravan parks, building sights and many other places. The latest regs might add an extra element of safety, but when did you last hear of anyone being electrocuted by using a commando socket?
You may not die from electrocution (although there is an increased risk) but from the fire from the failure of the wiring which was simply not designed to carry such a regular load. Get qualified advice and don't rely on somebody on a forum for this sort of stuff.

You may not die from electrocution (although there is an increased risk) but from the fire from the failure of the wiring which was simply not designed to carry such a regular load. Get qualified advice and don't rely on somebody on a forum for this sort of stuff.
I am not agree with the "the may not die", if everything is in specs and qualified setup it will be the same than any other charger and perhaps better, because less electronic inside. My induction hob is a 7.2kWh, my two oven are 7.2kWh, when I plugged a camping car Iam using a commando socket. Ism still alive, Iam not scary to cook every day and I am enjoy my holiday like other million of people. The correct specs and qualified setup is key indeed for anything and I am agree with that. And I am agree of not totally rely on people from a forum or other, but if necessary asks from an electrician advice or to check your installation👍🏼

I would presume that anyone carrying out such significant work would consult a qualified electrician. Not to do so would be foolhardy in the extreme - and illegal.

Hello

I have a 2017 Model X that came with a Gen1 UMC and 32A adapter. I have been charging it with 10A 3 pin UK plug which adds about 2kw per hour. It's very slow so I am thinking of using 32A adapter that came with the charger.

Here is what that 32A adapter looks like

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2083.jpeg

as I understand, what I need is a 32A commando socket for my garage. Is it as easy as buying this off Amazon and asking an electrician to install it? Industrial socket, Asukohu 32 Amp 3pin Industrial Socket 220V-250Volt Weatherproof IP44 Waterproof 2P+E 32A: Buy Online at Best Price in UAE - Amazon.ae

Is it as easy as buying this off Amazon and asking an electrician to install it?

Dunno about your Sparky, but mine is usually happier providing the bits and then taking responsibility for them, rather than me buying them and he then gets lumped with having to support it if it goes wrong.

Thus I suggest you check with your Sparky whether happy that you buy the bits.

Hello

I have a 2017 Model X that came with a Gen1 UMC and 32A adapter. I have been charging it with 10A 3 pin UK plug which adds about 2kw per hour. It's very slow so I am thinking of using 32A adapter that came with the charger.

View attachment 802503

View attachment 802500

as I understand, what I need is a 32A commando socket for my garage. Is it as easy as buying this off Amazon and asking an electrician to install it? Industrial socket, Asukohu 32 Amp 3pin Industrial Socket 220V-250Volt Weatherproof IP44 Waterproof 2P+E 32A: Buy Online at Best Price in UAE - Amazon.ae

I don’t know what electrical regs you have but that would not meet UK regs as it’s not interlocked - switched and plug cannot be removed if switched on. It would also have to be installed to regs which, depending on the main objective of the socket and where the socket is ultimately being used (ie if car is outside) then it would need to be installed to meet the appropriate regs which may be as strict as installing a regular wall connector.

I don’t know what electrical regs you have but that would not meet UK regs as it’s not interlocked - switched and plug cannot be removed if switched on. It would also have to be installed to regs which, depending on the main objective of the socket and where the socket is ultimately being used (ie if car is outside) then it would need to be installed to meet the appropriate regs which may be as strict as installing a regular wall connector.
can you point me to the right one with interlocked on Amazon? Thanks!

Hello

View attachment 802503

View attachment 802500

This is an older thread that is well worth reading. It covers all the options and the safety requirements that will apply:

I have had a commando socket installed, as it is not my primary charging solution as that is at work, I have an interlocking socket with an EV type B RCD installed within the socket, the electrician also installed a Garo PME unit, its also handy as doubles up as an outside socket with an adapted extension lead.
Just out of interest, how much did the sparky charge to fit the the type B and socket. I've got a friend that's currently getting quotes for a charger, and unfortunately hit, what I like to call, the "wedding cake situation" with installers ..... you want a cake? £10. Ohhh it's for a wedding £50!. He's getting quoted £350+ install if he supplies all the hardware (the charger is going on the other side of the wall to the consumer unit) And he's even tried offering to install the the charger on the wall, so it's just connecting wires and testing :rolleyes:. I'm wondering if you ask for a 32A commando and a type B RCD, and don't mention a car, you won't hit the £200+ "it's a EV charger" surcharge

Just out of interest, how much did the sparky charge to fit the the type B and socket. I've got a friend that's currently getting quotes for a charger, and unfortunately hit, what I like to call, the "wedding cake situation" with installers ..... you want a cake? £10. Ohhh it's for a wedding £50!. He's getting quoted £350+ install if he supplies all the hardware (the charger is going on the other side of the wall to the consumer unit) And he's even tried offering to install the the charger on the wall, so it's just connecting wires and testing :rolleyes:. I'm wondering if you ask for a 32A commando and a type B RCD, and don't mention a car, you won't hit the £200+ "it's a EV charger" surcharge
I did supply all the equipment, 10m run of 6mm from understairs into the garage then to outside, took him 4 hours start to finish, charged me £200 which I thought was very reasonable.

Hello

as I understand, what I need is a 32A commando socket for my garage. Is it as easy as buying this off Amazon and asking an electrician to install it?
Yes, commando sockets been around for years before I was even born! These are really easy for any sparky to install

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was to redo my home charger, I would get a properly installed commando socket (with PEN detection, etc) and use the UMC with a 32A converter. I would position it just inside the garage so it (and the UMC) is protected from the weather.
I think this setup could be installed for less than £500.
On the few times I go on a road trip I would just unplug the UMC and take it with me.
Luckily I've got a TWC and if it fails converting to a commando socket would be very easy...