Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you're comparing what is, essentially, last years model that is now on clearance to this years current model?
Not at all- I'm taking a proven top seller with amazing reliability history and comparing it to a volume wanna be. And Tesla is trying to be in the 500k a year sales category w the 3 so why not compare it to a real life real volume competitor? I keep telling people reservations mean nothing. The real number is deliveries. That takes more effort than having a payment processing system collect your 1 thousand dollars. The market is efficient and the niche Tesla thought they were carving will prove to be too much cash for the non die-hard Tesla follower.

The most commonly purchased vehicle in the US is the Ford F150, right? Advertised for $27380.

Now go into a dealer's office and say the words "Fully loaded". Suddenly that $27380 price jumps to $67370.

I think Americans have gotten over the fact that if you want extra options in a vehicle, that it costs money. Well, MOST Americans...
At what point did you miss I said Camry Se 2017.

Here we go again, you are directly contradicting what Tesla has said directly- the model s is superior in every way to the 3. So if you could get a superior car for about the same price why wouldn't you?
When did they say it was the same price? The based for the Model 3 is $35k and the base for the Model S is $69k. I'm not a mathematician but $69k is more than $35k.

Well, actually the Tesla Secret Master Plan does in fact say:

1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car

However, the affordable car they are referring to is the Model S. The Model 3 is "even more affordable", so affordable ls obviously all relative. But the Model 3 was clearly never intended to compete with the Camry's of the world. Tesla has been very clear that they intended it to compete with BMW and Audi. Anybody who expected anything different hasn't been paying attention.

Next time you want to disprove a post of mine make sure you quote the entire thing, not just the part that allows you to apparently prove the same point I already made in the post you quoted.

No I'm just taking a previous posters point where they said they would rather have a new 59k 3 than a 59k used S
Depends on what you want. If you want all the features the model 3 is a better deal. If you want an S and don't care about features like EAP then maybe a used S could be a better choice. But you're compare a new car vs a used car and a fully loaded car vs one that's not. It's not a good comparison, just like comparing a Model 3 to a Camry.

If Tesla was standing still (like ICE,) you might have a point.
I like Tesla a lot I have one. I'm saying I don't think it's a 500k volume a year mainstream car and Tesla folks lost their mind. In fact the only reason it's still 35k is because they hade to honor that price so they didn't look like liars. So they begrudgingly did the black one w cloth seats and aero wheels. Sigh

Here we go again, you are directly contradicting what Tesla has said directly- the model s is superior in every way to the 3. So if you could get a superior car for about the same price why wouldn't you?

Sure, but since you absolutely can't, I'm going to be selling my Model S and getting a Model 3 instead. The only comparison Tesla is making is a new Model S to a new Model 3. The new Model 3 will definitely be superior (in my opinion) to my old Model S. Better range, more features (like autopilot).

I like Tesla a lot I have one. I'm saying I don't think it's a 500k volume a year mainstream car and Tesla folks lost their mind. In fact the only reason it's still 35k is because they hade to honor that price so they didn't look like liars. So they begrudgingly did the black one w cloth seats and aero wheels. Sigh
And I'm saying that you are ignoring the larger picture that Tesla benefits every year from the advances in power electronics and battery chemistry.

Just look at the strides they have made in 5 years from the 2012 Model S to the 2017 Model 3. You get 90% of the car for 50% of the price. Don't confuse Elon's penchant for getting ahead of himself with his grasp of fundamentals.

Your dig at the base car is silly. If you don't like the Aero, take of the covers. And if it is important to you to have a color other than black for your base car, call it $36k. Is your world really crashing down because the $35k promise turned out to be $36k ?

Last edited:
Reactions: tracksyde
Doesn't the camry come with cloth seats standard and no options for wheel size?

So M3 loses $11K
2018 Camry loses $16K ($23 MSRP)
So purely nuts & bolts guesstimate (forgetting badge prestige & potential wealth earning through Tesla autonomous network), M3 reaches cost parity after 5 years
Loses 16k in what time frame. And this dream of cars driving themselves without at least a passive conductor is ludicrous. Why not let planes fly themselves too since they can?