Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla reconsiders the use of rail cars for delivery. Railway dust getting baked into the paint of a brand new car is really sucky not to mention rock chips.

BMW transports their cars to final delivery in covered carriers for a reason.
BMW does not transport all of their cars in covered carriers. I see fleets of new X5, X6, X3, & X4 SUVs on open trucks leaving the factory daily.

S/N vs date update, it's happening, with 4 reports of deliveries this past weekend on Instagram, and 8 M3 on a delivery truck today.
upload_2017-11-6_13-57-45.png

Panasonic did say that they finally fixed their problem with automated manufacturing of the battery packs. Hopefully there's nothing more "stopped up", just a bunch of things that they need to get the speed up on :)

Not quite. Check out the first ten minutes of the Tesla conference call at www.tesla.com. Go to support and then investors to access the conference call. Making progress, but we are not there yet.

Not quite. Check out the first ten minutes of the Tesla conference call at www.tesla.com. Go to support and then investors to access the conference call. Making progress, but we are not there yet.
Elon has indeed indicated that problems aren't solved yet.

He says (in relation to production-line 2)
"The software working with the electromechanical elements need to be fabricated and installed and getting those atoms in place and rebuilt is unfortunately a lot longer and has far more external constraints than software."
I'm not an expert in any respect, so can anyone explain what he means with this statement especially the "atoms in place"? Just curious.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Elon has indeed indicated that problems aren't solved yet.

He says (in relation to production-line 2)

I'm not an expert in any respect, so can anyone explain what he means with this statement especially the "atoms in place"? Just curious.

Guess:
Rearranging the bits that comprise software was done quickly. Rearranging the atoms that comprise a physical piece of hardware takes much longer. (Rebuilding physical things is slower than rebuilding software)

Love the chart!!! If you eliminate every point lower than any previous point to that date, it makes an interesting curve.
I want to see not just the highest VIN but also the overall distribution of the spotted VIN. VIN spotting is cumulative, you could be spotting a car that was delivered 2-3 months ago. So if higher concentration of lower VINs are spotted, it's possible we're still seeing the Aug-Sep deliveries. Personally I'm more excited about the new deliveries last weekend and the 8 on the truck than just the highest VIN.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Is there any guarantee, rule, or law that says that the manufacturer has to assign VINs sequentially in order of vehicle completion? I think we might be making assumptions here about the significance of higher VIN numbers.

No rules or laws, but probably safe to assume if you look up a VIN on the NHTSA website and it returns recall information the car is probably pretty close to being produced (if not already produced). Also I manually checked 1000+ VIN numbers and they all were returning 0 recall notices on the NHTSA website. These vins were in the higher range 1800-2639 as well as 1334-750 in hopes of avoiding the already spotted vins.