Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland led lightstrip as fsd indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else see the ambient lighting as a way to avoid mode confusion with autopilot? Placement of lights ahead of the driver, telling them the mode will make sure they understand whether the car is steering or they are steering.

And if the light strip can act as 1 dimensional display, it could indicate direction the car will take and whether it will speed up or slow down.

I can only hope…

Reactions: JB47394
Is it even visible during the day to any substantial degree? Usually ambients are pretty dim, though presumably they are artificially limited. But a light that is not directly visible - line of sight (I assume the case for the ambients) has to be very bright to be visible at all in daylight.

I have no idea about the implementation so maybe it is easily visible.

Last edited:
This doesn’t make sense to me as the display is indicator enough for me, but to each their own. I would like to see that whole strip flash to indicate a blind spot warning though.
Snarkily, "Why not put that on the screen?"

More seriously, if the strip lighting is programmable to the individual LED (which I assume it is not), then a number of functions could be rolled into it. I could easily see the strip overall showing a particular color when in autonomous mode, strobing gently on a side as a blind spot warning, a trickle of lights moving to a side as a turn signal indication, etc. I'd turn off the blind spot warning, but I'd like the turn signal indication as the screen indicator isn't enough for me.

In effect, it becomes a poor man's head-up display.

Then we start adding more rows of lights, and...

We can therefore expect something like 560km (345mi) for the 2024 M3 LR AWD in North America which is still lower than the 2022 LR AWD that had roughly 576km (358mi)

This makes assumptions about the battery type that will be used long term in North America. For some of these vehicles they’ll probably use Panasonics. Probably. I guess we’ll see. Has impact on tax credits etc, potentially. Eventually, US-made packs will be needed to get the credit (lots of rules on content and build, have not read closely or tried to pay close attention).

I have no idea about the implementation so maybe it is easily visible.
Rewatching the video they seem easily visible. I imagine these will have various functions added over time (configurable by driver).