Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold Steering Wheel every 20-25 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it is very annoying now, I always rest my right hand on the bottom of steering wheel and give it a slight tug but now I have to do it twice as much as before. I never drove “10 and 2” in my life except when I took my drivers exam as a teenager...just doesnt feel natural.

Even when I rest my hands at 10 and 2, I still get nagged. The reason is that my commute has long stretches of straight road, and so the wheel is not turning. AP has now become very annoying.

Even when I rest my hands at 10 and 2, I still get nagged. The reason is that my commute has long stretches of straight road, and so the wheel is not turning. AP has now become very annoying.

I wish you could give a post x1000 likes. I have been told countless times "how to properly hold the steering wheel" but what the espousers want to "tell us" doesn't work when you wouldn't be applying "light force" in those situations. Having to constantly apply light force that is completely unnatural and unsafe for the environment was a great oversight on Tesla's part. It has really butchered and neutered EAP.

I have 2018.26 now and I am cautiously optimistic. The nag interval seems to be increased just enough that I no longer get nags on my daily commute (using two hands on the wheel). This is probably because there's no straight stretch of road on my commute that's long enough to trrigger the nags.

My wife will be taking the car next week on a long road trip. I'll get a report from her about how it handles on longer straight highway runs then. In theory, increasing the nag interval at some point should make it so that just small steering adjustments even on straight runs will be enough to prevent the nags. I guess we'll see.

They still have the fundamental problem that the initial nags are visual and require you to pay attention to the IC rather than the road. I imagine this is even worse in the Model 3. They really need to fix that. Or give us a HUD (retrofitted of course).

Reactions: JohnnyG
After driving for a week to test the new firmware update 2018.26 it has improved the screwed up autopilot firmware that Tesla pushed out in the previous two updates. But, the autopilot feature still sucks! Tesla pull your head out and listen to your customers.

The Autopilot feature is still not working correctly since the last three firmware updates. There are many other owners having the same exact issue. This is a wide spread issue that you have created. We all paid 5K for the autopilot feature when I bought the vehicle and expect it to work properly.

Since the last three firmware updates the false screen nags telling me to "put my hands on the wheel" every 30 or so seconds (WHEN MY HANDS ARE ON THE WHEEL) is crazy. The vehicle also keeps disabling the autopilot function all together for the rest of the drive, even though my hands are on the wheel the whole time.

Why should I have to apply light resistance when the autopilot is steering the vehicle correctly.

My commute is mostly southern California freeways, most of the commute is long straight sections of the freeway.

It is un-natural for me to have to apply light pressure to the steering wheel when autopilot is keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane.

It is basically defeating the whole purpose of paying for and have autopilot in the first place.

Tesla should have used touch-sensors or conductive sensing on the steering wheel to detect hand placement in the first place and we would not be having this problem right now.

Does anyone agree with me on this?

Tesla should have used touch-sensors or conductive sensing on the steering wheel to detect hand placement in the first place and we would not be having this problem right now.

Does anyone agree with me on this?

It's a little too late to change the hardware, but I think Tesla does this also to minimized its liability. Even if both hands on the wheel, the computer still registered many times that your hands are not on the wheel. If you are on autopilot and crashed and died, they could just retrieve the data and claimed that your hands were not on the steering most of the time.

It's a little too late to change the hardware, but I think Tesla does this also to minimized its liability. Even if both hands on the wheel, the computer still registered many times that your hands are not on the wheel. If you are on autopilot and crashed and died, they could just retrieve the data and claimed that your hands were not on the steering most of the time.

Yes, I agree, Tesla is probably doing this so that they can claim your hands were not on the wheel when autopilot was enable and the vehicle crashed and someone died. How long do you think it will take the attorneys to figure out how the autopilot really works on a Tesla?

Then they can prove that someone that died in a crash with autopilot on, "really did have their hands on the wheel".
I am sure there are attorneys out there that drive Tesla vehicles with autopilot.

This whole mess with having to apply pressure to the steering wheel when autopilot enabled to let the autopilot know that you are paying attention is just insulting to all Tesla owners.

HEY TESLA, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN STILL NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD AND HAVE YOUR HAND ON THE STEERING WHEEL! THIS SAFETY MEASURE, REQUIREMENT IS STUPID AT BEST.

Reactions: Sousagil90D
Yes, I agree, Tesla is probably doing this so that they can claim your hands were not on the wheel when autopilot was enable and the vehicle crashed and someone died. How long do you think it will take the attorneys to figure out how the autopilot really works on a Tesla?

Then they can prove that someone that died in a crash with autopilot on, "really did have their hands on the wheel".
I am sure there are attorneys out there that drive Tesla vehicles with autopilot.

This whole mess with having to apply pressure to the steering wheel when autopilot enabled to let the autopilot know that you are paying attention is just insulting to all Tesla owners.

HEY TESLA, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN STILL NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD AND HAVE YOUR HAND ON THE STEERING WHEEL! THIS SAFETY MEASURE, REQUIREMENT IS STUPID AT BEST.
I gave up and just use a knee to force AP to think I'm engaged. After all, it now says "Apply light force to steering wheel" and no longer actually tells me to "hold the steering wheel".

But in all seriousness, have you filed an official complaint to Tesla? If not, then log into your account, and escalate an issue to executive review. This is the official way (or at least the closest to it) to file a complaint.

I gave up and just use a knee to force AP to think I'm engaged. After all, it now says "Apply light force to steering wheel" and no longer actually tells me to "hold the steering wheel".

But in all seriousness, have you filed an official complaint to Tesla? If not, then log into your account, and escalate an issue to executive review. This is the official way (or at least the closest to it) to file a complaint.
Smart. Resistance is Futile!

This will not change anytime soon but certainly you can complain to Tesla and on this forum. Like the other poster those that have a problem with this have decided to make changes to their driving style or stop using AutoPilot. Maybe Tesla's confidence in v9 (after a bit of time) will cause them to relax the nagging a bit.

Having just completed 3,300 mile roadtour of Europe in my MX I can attest to how annoying are the continued nags, and the disengagement’s (four during tour) because I failed to notice nag, although had hands on the wheel I feel just dangerous. It is a poor method of ensuring driver attention. Much better would be some sort of camera system to check awareness which would require nothing from driver except to be looking ahead at the road, as any responsible person would anyway.

This is obviously something implemented to legally protect Tesla due to the silly antics of a minority, for which as usual means normal law abiding people have to suffer with restrictions.

But not let us get this out of proportion - I would still far rather be driving a Tesla with Autopilot as it is, than any other car. I ended each day’s driving of my roadtour feeling still relaxed, while in a regular car I would feel really tired from having to apply continued intense attention and continued action to pedals and wheel, particularly in stop, go traffic.

Let’s hope that changes in Autopilot 9 which is now only a few weeks away will remove the regular nags, so we can enjoy and relax driving our Tesla’s even more.

Reactions: f205v
Having just completed 3,300 mile roadtour of Europe in my MX I can attest to how annoying are the continued nags, and the disengagement’s (four during tour) because I failed to notice nag, although had hands on the wheel I feel just dangerous. It is a poor method of ensuring driver attention. Much better would be some sort of camera system to check awareness which would require nothing from driver except to be looking ahead at the road, as any responsible person would anyway.

This is obviously something implemented to legally protect Tesla due to the silly antics of a minority, for which as usual means normal law abiding people have to suffer with restrictions.

But not let us get this out of proportion - I would still far rather be driving a Tesla with Autopilot as it is, than any other car. I ended each day’s driving of my roadtour feeling still relaxed, while in a regular car I would feel really tired from having to apply continued intense attention and continued action to pedals and wheel, particularly in stop, go traffic.

Let’s hope that changes in Autopilot 9 which is now only a few weeks away will remove the regular nags, so we can enjoy and relax driving our Tesla’s even more.

Well...considering THAT June 18th Shareholders meeting promise is now down the tubes....we'll see....we'll see.....
(from the August 1st earnings report call - Early Access Partners SHOULD receive Software V 9 in 4 weeks AND if all goes well then the rest of the fleet sometime in September) In plane English, we won't see anything V9 for 2-3 months IF and then just maybe... so sad...

I've noticed this also. There's a particular intersection (divided local road, I think it's technically a highway but it has an intersection) where this has happened to me a couple of times. I think the intersection is confusing to it and it gets very nervous and wants immediate feedback from the driver -- there is no warning, just straight to the beeps. But it's also not the red "take over now" alert; it's the normal "apply light force" (or whatever the new message is); it doesn't disengage.

Has anyone figured out why it sometimes goes straight to the beeps when the “apply light force” prompt first appears?
The only commonality with this issue for me is higher speeds. It happens during the 10 miles of my commute at 75mph; the other 20 miles is 60mph. Interestingly, I’ve only noticed it happening when I am coming back home when I drive the slower segment first, then speed up.

Has anyone figured out why it sometimes goes straight to the beeps when the “apply light force” prompt first appears?
The only commonality with this issue for me is higher speeds. It happens during the 10 miles of my commute at 75mph; the other 20 miles is 60mph. Interestingly, I’ve only noticed it happening when I am coming back home when I drive the slower segment first, then speed up.

This happens for me when it finds itself in a situation where it's momentarily uncertain of where the lanes are, like in some intersections that I drive through regularly. I have learned to apply light force preemptively through these intersections. I don't think it counts against you in the three strikes rule.

• Informative
Reactions: jnuyens
... I don't think it counts against you in the three strikes rule.
That is correct! It does not count against you in the 3-strikes and AP is disabled until [P]ark.

I get it in a multitude of situations. The only correlation that I've been able to devise is that it does it more often when it has to keep displaying the white glow for hands on the wheel. If it's repeatedly reminding you to apply torque, it starts beeping first more often.

I applaud them for this. I would prefer to get a beep, and not lose AP, then to miss the subtle white glow, because I'm actually looking out the windshield, and then have AP disabled.

I applaud them for this. I would prefer to get a beep, and not lose AP, then to miss the subtle white glow, because I'm actually looking out the windshield, and then have AP disabled.

In fact it should always give you a beep instead of forcing you to glance down at the screen in order to know that it wants you to apply some force. That is the most idiotic thing -- my eyes are on the road, not on the dashboard. You need to give me an audible tone. The new blind spot monitor has the same problem -- you have to look at the screen to see it. It needs to be audible. (Or, as in other cars, needs to be displayed as a red light on the side view mirror itself, which is where you're already looking when you need the blind spot warning.)

Reactions: JohnnyG