Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blind spot cameras? Reduced (so far as can be determined from early tests) phantom braking? Quick clear of dashcam/sentry events? Expanded car traffic view? Navigation way-point editing? .....

Yeah,, no new helpful features at all!
The blind spot cameras are of dubious use, as many people have already commented.

Reduced phantom braking - this is not a feature, it’s a bug fix. The car shouldn’t phantom brake at all. To describe this as a ‘feature’ is kind of like saying “new! Now the turn signal comes on 95% of the time you push the stalk!”

Dash cam sentry events is nice but of no use when I’m driving the car.

When you go to ‘notateslaapp’ and look at the release notes roughly half of the notes describe games and entertainment features. Dammit, I didn’t buy a Playstation, I bought a car! Quit dicking around with games and spend your time making the car work.

The blind spot cameras are of dubious use, as many people have already commented.

Reduced phantom braking - this is not a feature, it’s a bug fix. The car shouldn’t phantom brake at all. To describe this as a ‘feature’ is kind of like saying “new! Now the turn signal comes on 95% of the time you push the stalk!”

Dash cam sentry events is nice but of no use when I’m driving the car.

When you go to ‘notateslaapp’ and look at the release notes roughly half of the notes describe games and entertainment features. Dammit, I didn’t buy a Playstation, I bought a car! Quit dicking around with games and spend your time making the car work.
Many people have been asking for blind spot cameras .. yet now they arrive they are of “dubious use”? To you perhaps, but not to many others. i notice you skipped over waypoint editing .. yeah totally useless and no-one has EVER asked for that.

it’s good that people point out areas that should be improved, but just claiming everything is garbage or worthless when that is not true is a waste of time. Go look at how many posts have asked for blind spot cameras… and waypoints .. and many of the other features they added.

And yes, bug fixes count as improvements too .. or would you prefer that they not fix phantom braking?

Reactions: akatwn
I shouldn’t have to talk sweet, or kindly ask Tesla for anything. I paid my money and bought the product I liked based on what was presented to me in the showroom and in the car. That’s how I made my choice and I don’t want it changed. I want what I paid for. Make improvements, fix bugs, increase efficiency. Don’t ruin the genius.

All you guys that say voice command is the answer to all the missing touch functions….Ha! Explain why an icon for the phone, the freaking phone!, was added to the dock. The one single thing that is most easily and effectively controlled by voice command, now has a stupid colored icon front and center.
But heated seats and defroster are gone, and you think voice command is the answer. Get real.

The music note was genius, all the audio entertainment was contained there. It opened the music window, sliding your finger over the note expanded it, collapsed it, and everything audio was contained within. Perfect execution. Why change that and break anything out ?
So don’t install the update .. problem solved.

Reactions: e645824 and Vin_L
While it’s too late for this release, the Apple paradigm for updates is to offer a path to back out of the update for a period of time.

I would have reverted to the previous version if that was possible.

It really is sad that I have to go look for features I use on a regular basis.

1. You actually have to tap to see who it's set to.
2. If my daughter (5-2) and I (6-1) both walk up to the car, it's 50/50 on which it sets to. If it starts going to hers, I get smashed into the wheel. (no, we can't set a priority driver, we all take turns all the time. 5 drivers).

Is it a huge problem? No. Easy to fix it. Should I have to? Seriously?

All the rest are just simple failures. BMW doesn't change out your dash with the latest version, moving everything around, just for the hell of it.

Wipers, defrost and seat heaters actually matter. They need to be always accessible.

And it's not about the appearance of the UI, I couldn't care less. Just give me back those 3, and I'll be happy, no big deal to learn where everything else moved.

If you say you love the new UI, but you agree there needs to be some adjustments for basic functionality, then what do you actually love? The aesthetics?

Wheeeeee!!!!!!!
A quick swipe up from lower left side of screen and you have the whole hvac system. I don’t find that particularly difficult.

Many people have been asking for blind spot cameras .. yet now they arrive they are of “dubious use”?
I thought people were asking for blind spot warning in the mirror, not a camera that requires us to take our eyes off the road. That's what I want - what I don't want is more things that require me to look at the screen. I'm still waiting to be able to answer the phone without using the screen ;).

Do you guys use your own phones or key cards to access the car? You can set it up so that whoever opens the door, the seat will automatically adjust to that driver's profile. I didn't set it up on the new version, but it was carried over from the previous version. I'm sure it's the same way to do it but may look different on the screen now.
Somewhere in control- locks - keys, there's an icon of a person. You click that when you have selected your driver profile, and key. Then same for your wife's phone/key/driver profile.
I just snipped a random image on google so you get an idea on what you need to look for.

Correct. I forget how to do it off top of my head (might be just drag and drop) but you can make a certain phone/key also the Priority in case multiple keys are detected and it will adjust the seats, etc. to that priority key. I think for families with multiple drivers it makes sense to have the tallest person the priority that way he/she doesn't get mashed by the smaller one's adjustments. The smaller person just has to do the extra step of selecting their profile each time they are the driver. Just one suggestion, not the only way IMO.

My wife doesn't prefer to drive the MY so I'm always priority :D

Looks like I spoke too early. Although I can roll with the latest changes, my wife and daughter just took the Y out and first thing they said after coming home is they both hate, hate, hate the new update and that I need to revert/downgrade to the previous version. My understanding is there's no going backwards but I submitted a service request anyways to see what can be done. As a software developer myself, I don't see why they can't put back the previous source code. I understand if that means a factory reset and losing your saved profiles and settings but it should still be possible. I think with more time the wife will get used to it. For the time being I'm trying to comfort/console her with the possibility that the next update will restore the icons and their placement. Anything is possible.
we all need to keep asking.

I've worked with OTA groups before and so I have a feel for how much work is involved. the hard work is pushing down and doing a full 'tree' dependancy flash. but going from version A tree to B tree is not the hard part; they already solved the hard part!

the only loose end is to have a choice of which version to pull down. you cache the last version tree (not the code, but the tags) and you request that, again, to 'revert'.

its NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

and at this point, I think we finally are at the point where enough people have had enough.

keep asking for an undo or revert or go-back. keep asking, guys. one day, maybe they'll hear us.

its NOT a hard thing and since we cant do a full image backup and restore, this is the least they can do for us.

Reactions: OxBrew
Open the Climate control and select Sync.
It doesn’t work like that anymore after the UI update. Instead of Sync you now have Split to toggle dual climate zones. However, both “dual” temperatures are displayed regardless of single or dual zone use.

A58F808C-24E1-4373-9C58-DF22DD50F507.jpeg

It doesn’t work like that anymore after the UI update. Instead of Sync you now have Split to toggle dual climate zones. However, both “dual” temperatures are displayed regardless of single or dual zone use.

View attachment 749899
It's the same thing as sync. Now they are calling it a split like it's supposed to be fancy. Split you can change temp individually, and I guess unsplit? is the new sync and both sides will be same temp. I don't like it either, but that's the least of my worries on this new UI.