Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fielding govt software we have two groups of folks the software have to pass through before it was fielded, Government Witness Testing and Unit Acceptance Testing. Since all software is source from commercial sources, the first test was done by a select group of DoD civilians/military functional experts. They’d provided their test results back to the contractor who made the fixes, then the GWT got it again, if it passed it was then sent out to select units all over the DoD for actual hands on testing by the end users (the war fighter). Any defects/issues and suggestions were retuned to the HQ Program Manager who decided if they would add the fixes. It didn’t guarantee the software was perfect but at least all the stake holders had a look and say in the final release. Who at Tesla tests software releases?

Fielding govt software we have two groups of folks the software have to pass through before it was fielded, Government Witness Testing and Unit Acceptance Testing. Since all software is source from commercial sources, the first test was done by a select group of DoD civilians/military functional experts. They’d provided their test results back to the contractor who made the fixes, then the GWT got it again, if it passed it was then sent out to select units all over the DoD for actual hands on testing by the end users (the war fighter). Any defects/issues and suggestions were retuned to the HQ Program Manager who decided if they would add the fixes. It didn’t guarantee the software was perfect but at least all the stake holders had a look and say in the final release. Who at Tesla tests software releases?
We do 😉

Just spent 20 minutes trying to find previously recorded video from dashcam. I. Can't. Find. It. I searched on line but didn't find any help.

Anyone locate the viewer on the Model Y with the latest update? Model Y manual hasn't been updated either.

Last edited:
Just spent 20 minutes trying to find previously recorded video from dashcam. I. Can't. Find. It. I searched on line but didn't find any help.

Anyone locate the viewer on the Model Y with the latest update? Model Y manual hasn't been updated either.
Yea click the icon that shows the camera with a red dot (make sure you are in park) and it will bring up the recordings as before.

in the olden days, they'd spend a lot of time figuring out if the UI is ok or not before its locked in.

that was a GOOD thing. we HAD to plan and think and live with it for a while before we sent the design in for mass production.

its actually lazy that they can release stuff that is half-thought out and 'fix it in post' later. or never.

I kind of prefer the first type, myself. do the old style work, like it used to be, then you can enjoy it for years.

I have test gear that is from the 50's and 60's and never needed an 'update'. if I needed an update, my soldering iron works just fine ;)

continuous updates is almost funny. it takes an older guy (cough) to remind folks it didn't used to be that way and updates are not always your friend!

as an experienced sw/hw engineer, I stopped taking phone updates years ago and my tesla has not been updated since before xmas 2020. I know that updates are not always good. in fact, they suck from tesla. my car has the best version for me and I wont risk losing it for some eye candy. one step forward and 3 back. no thanks.
I completely agree, wish I had read all these comments before the update.

There are things that (for safety reasons) should be one-touch and easy, like turning on the windshield defogger. The old UI was much better designed for actually driving the car; the new UI seems designed for somebody cruising in FSD. Hey Tesla? Some of us still actually drive your cars, given all the places that Autopilot fails.
How is it hard to press arrow next to the temp number and lil pop up shows you defogger and other things. Yeah very unsafe lol.
Little advice try to explore new things before you start big claims of how it is unsafe and etc.

How is it hard to press arrow next to the temp number and lil pop up shows you defogger and other things. Yeah very unsafe lol.
Little advice try to explore new things before you start big claims of how it is unsafe and etc.
I agree, it's not that big of a deal and can easily get used to it. Just tweak it a bit with another smaller update and we are good to go.

I think the update would be fine if they do the following:

1. Let us pin a lot more items to the dock at one time.
2. Let us pin simple functions like seat heaters, defroster, etc.
3. Bring back the PSI and trip cards

With these adjustments, I'd be satisfied.

Yes, I agree, this is the best update I could imagine. For those who can't enjoy it go and buy i3 or something.

I remember other forums when MSFT changed from XP to Vista. Many could not enjoy this either due to having stone brains that could not absorb the change.
The more I use it the more I like it. Just a learning curve. I have no negative reactions - it certainly looks better.