Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting close to collecting car so Time to sort out provider and charger installation. I already have a smart meter(no idea if smet1 or 2) and recently changed to Eon Next. [referral request moved to different thread] Also what is the best route for charger installation? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Charge point installation depends on if you want/need a particular charge point with particular features. At the end of the day you just need it to deliver the mains AC safely to your car (which they should all do) and looks like you want it to look like! To qualify for the grant you will need to get a "smart" charge point installed by a registered installer. A search online will give you the gen. It would be unkind to suggest that most installers seem to do very well out of the grant ... but there you go I've already said it ;)

Am still finding a bit weird that my Sync EV charger is on scheduled charge but my Tesla reports charging stopped / interrupted and I have to unplug and reply get the cable from the charger end to get it to charge properly which defeats the purpose of scheduled charging! Any one had experience of this with their Sync EV charger with their model 3 or shall I give them a call?
I believe that you need to put the SyncEV into BASIC mode and let the Tesla set the charge start time. This is the response I got from SyncEV, who I might say replied very quickly. My question related to the SncEV charger with my Smart Car. Note the SyncEV in BASIC mode performs I believe just like the Tesla charger. I am impressed with SyncEV and will try their recommendation in a few days, but their suggestion seems reasonable.

Thank you for your email.

The Sync EV along with many other EV Charging manufacturers uses pulse technology. The reason for this is most electric vehicles if not communicated with for around 5 mins they go into what is called "sleep" mode. The Sync Ev sends a small pulse of electricity every 2/3 minutes to keep the vehicle awake so that it will accept the full power charge at the start time requested.

We have a way to stop the pulsing, we do this by supplying the car with the minimum amount of charge the vehicle accepts until the start time requested. We can alter this remotely if requested.

Alternatively if your vehicle has the option to schedule a charge then this would prevent the use of any unwanted electricity use. The Sync EV unit is set to "Basic" in the advanced section of the settings. The vehicle then wakes itself up, then the Sync EV starts to charge.

We hope this information helps and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us

Kind regards

EV Team

• Informative
Reactions: Puzuk and yfwt
I believe that you need to put the SyncEV into BASIC mode and let the Tesla set the charge start time. This is the response I got from SyncEV, who I might say replied very quickly. My question related to the SncEV charger with my Smart Car. Note the SyncEV in BASIC mode performs I believe just like the Tesla charger. I am impressed with SyncEV and will try their recommendation in a few days, but their suggestion seems reasonable.

Thank you for your email.

The Sync EV along with many other EV Charging manufacturers uses pulse technology. The reason for this is most electric vehicles if not communicated with for around 5 mins they go into what is called "sleep" mode. The Sync Ev sends a small pulse of electricity every 2/3 minutes to keep the vehicle awake so that it will accept the full power charge at the start time requested.

We have a way to stop the pulsing, we do this by supplying the car with the minimum amount of charge the vehicle accepts until the start time requested. We can alter this remotely if requested.

Alternatively if your vehicle has the option to schedule a charge then this would prevent the use of any unwanted electricity use. The Sync EV unit is set to "Basic" in the advanced section of the settings. The vehicle then wakes itself up, then the Sync EV starts to charge.

We hope this information helps and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us

Kind regards

EV Team
Cheers will give it a try, I thought we need to do a workaround! Thanks for asking and providing the full response on here - much appreciated :) Apart from that love the unit but still thinking if I should of went for a tethered unit - oh well.

Cheers will give it a try, I thought we need to do a workaround! Thanks for asking and providing the full response on here - much appreciated :) Apart from that love the unit but still thinking if I should of went for a tethered unit - oh well.
Please post your results and I will do the same when our Smart needs recharging. My chargers are in a garage, one tethered and one not. I do like the SychEV, their support has been very good.

Reactions: yfwt
Had our Easee charger installed last week and since our car has arrived have now had chance to use it. Really neat installation and tidy looking on the wall outside, we have the option to charge at work so will rarely charge at home hence the preference for untethered.

App works really well, simple interface that does everything we would want from a charger.

Attachments

• 681300D4-ED70-4B28-80D3-7DF1AB801D18.jpeg
    681300D4-ED70-4B28-80D3-7DF1AB801D18.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: Adopado
Hi everyone, anyone got any recommendations for a charge point installer in Northumberland / Newcastle / Scottish Borders area? It's only for occasional use so hoping to buy the cheapest unit I can (Rolec ?) and get it installed.

Ta!

Depending on which side of the border you are will affects grants ... which may affect your approach. In Scotland it's £350 + £250. It does need to be a Smart charge point and installed by "approved" installer. I would be checking out the "all-in" deals which include installation and charge point together e.g. Pod point , which saves you deciding on installer.

Proper installation to current standards will not be super-cheap however you go.

But ...if it's only occasional can you get away with the UMC?

This isn't a grantable installation - just want a proper charger at my Mother's house because the 3-pin is so slow. Armstrong electrical I found on Google is saying £650 all in - however, if you can get a Rolec charger for £350 - surely £300 for installation is way too much. It's adjacent to consumer unit so very easy install.

This isn't a grantable installation - just want a proper charger at my Mother's house because the 3-pin is so slow. Armstrong electrical I found on Google is saying £650 all in - however, if you can get a Rolec charger for £350 - surely £300 for installation is way too much. It's adjacent to consumer unit so very easy install.

I agree ... installation charges are outrageous. I consider myself having been taken advantage of when I got my Zappi installed (independent installer not by Myenergi directly). Very simple install but big price ... with a major contribution from grants thank goodness (£750 grants in 2019) but I still paid out £569! Install couldn't have been simpler so not because it was complicated.

The UMC can do 32amps just the same as any installed charge point. You just need to get the adapter at £43. Might be worth checking with an electrician about installing a 32amp commando socket at your mother's house if that can be done cost effectively.

My Sync EV is turning up next week and I’m interested in how to get it to work with Econ 7 so advice welcome! Whether to let the car sort it or the charger. Cheers!
I've been advised to put the SyncEV into Basic mode and let the car determine the charge start time. Don't let both the car and charger set the start time. I'll be testing this theory next week, let us know your results.

Reactions: yfwt and Puzuk
I've been advised to put the SyncEV into Basic mode and let the car determine the charge start time. Don't let both the car and charger set the start time. I'll be testing this theory next week, let us know your results.
Yes it does work! ✅ ⚡🚗🔋👍🏼

Attachments

• 52E50CF1-3719-43F7-93A9-238CDD8F8AF4.png
    52E50CF1-3719-43F7-93A9-238CDD8F8AF4.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 9FA70934-4DE8-43E3-9726-C2490D0A4DCC.jpeg
    9FA70934-4DE8-43E3-9726-C2490D0A4DCC.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 64496FCE-8A08-4823-A987-868B9DF37991.jpeg
    64496FCE-8A08-4823-A987-868B9DF37991.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Puzuk and RedMod3