Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely yes! It’s want to make sure I don’t get a rubbish one, but I suppose they are mostly all the same in terms of what they do!
Like yourself I spent a lot of time researching all the options, and by the time I had changed my mind 3 times, got myself in an unnecessary bind about which was safest and child-proof, then found an installer who actually picked up the phone and sounded like they would do a good job, I just decided I'd pull the trigger on the one I "liked" the most.

Eventually my criteria became: a charger that has all the necessary built-in protection, is being recommended by people who know their stuff and doesn't look like a porta-potti stuck to the outside of my house.

For those who are dilly dallying, I started this process nearly 3 months ago. Still no install date (through no fault of the installer I should add who have been amazing). Get a move on if you want it anytime soon because all the installers are busy and some of the DNO's are seriously backlogged.

Got £689 quote from Hypervolt including grant and installation. Not sure if it is standard cost for them but after seeing above figures seems reasonable to me. Any comments?
Seems about right - ours was £701 for the home 2.0 unit with a 5m tethered cable. Not sure if their "standard" install fee is standardised across all installers or varies from business to business, but it's cheaper than other boxes I've had quotes for, and obviously dearer than some of the more basic ones.

Reactions: Jitm
Zappi does look ugly doesn't it.
Not mine (for 6 months or so)
Zappisteria.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Got £689 quote from Hypervolt including grant and installation. Not sure if it is standard cost for them but after seeing above figures seems reasonable to me. Any comments?
Just got my quote for £828 (including the £350 saving from the grant) from my local authorised Hypervolt installer. My install is as simple as it could be. so i'm thinking i might go back to Hypervolt direct to ask them

Octopus have an offer for the new Ohme Home Pro for £499 at the moment.

There's a geographical restriction on that though :(
"In order to qualify you need to meet the criteria for a standard installation (which most do) and be in the South or South East region, as that's where the Octopus installation team is based (for the time being)"

Hello,

Wonder if I can pick the brains of everyone. I’m looking to get a charger in our new build property. I have been speaking with Elecology who seem pretty good to date.

They have recommended two potential models Ohme £638 and a Hypervolt £730 In my opinion the Hypervolt is slightly better looking! (After the grant)

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or comments on either of the chargers or Elecology? Does the cost sound right to you guys?

I’m based around Ely in Cambridgeshire just in case location makes a diffrence.

Thanks everyone

Hello,

Wonder if I can pick the brains of everyone. I’m looking to get a charger in our new build property. I have been speaking with Elecology who seem pretty good to date.

They have recommended two potential models Ohme £638 and a Hypervolt £730 In my opinion the Hypervolt is slightly better looking! (After the grant)

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or comments on either of the chargers or Elecology? Does the cost sound right to you guys?

Thanks everyone
I'm based in Norfolk and my quote from Hypervolt was £830 so sounds like you've got a deal.

Reactions: GarethWhyte
Hello,

Thanks everyone
I've been quoted £650 for one of the new Ohme ones, so good prices!

Hello,

Thanks everyone
Hi Gareth. I’m also planning on a Hypervolt installation after watching many EV charging vids on the Artisan Electrics YT channel. They cover a huge breadth of different chargers on there and seem pretty impressed with the Hypervolt brand.

Pretty sure the team there are Cambridge based too so you may want to contact them for a competitive quote?

Reactions: GarethWhyte
I've been told I need isolator switch fitted (Octopus will do this), meter tail upgrades (Octopus will do this) and then also get my main fuse changed by the DNO (SPEnergy) - still no line of sight as to when the actual charger will need done.
Have I just been unlucky or is this fairly typical that a whole slew of other things need done before you can get the actual charged fitted!

I've been told I need isolator switch fitted (Octopus will do this), meter tail upgrades (Octopus will do this) and then also get my main fuse changed by the DNO (SPEnergy) - still no line of sight as to when the actual charger will need done.
Have I just been unlucky or is this fairly typical that a whole slew of other things need done before you can get the actual charged fitted!
Took me about a month all together.
The screws where the meter tails attach to the meter were broken so the charger couldn't be installed first time. Lucky managed to book a smart meter upgrade for 2 weeks later which replaced the broken one. Pod point came back 2 days after that to finish the install. During the meter upgrade the guy noticed the main Fuse was only 60A. UK Power Networks came out 2 weeks later to replace the fuse and pod point updated the settings to match the following day.
Still done a month before the car arrived