Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had our Hypervolt installed this week - absolutely made up with the way it’s turned out and definitely a step up from hanging the 3-pin out the window!

Setup and costs (TL;DR it was £755 all in).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Casss
Had a 7.2Kw Wallbox Pulsar Plus (tethered) installed today. My install was by no means "standard" and the firm who installed did a great job!

All-in it cost £1,100 and took around 5-6 hours. I'm loving the fact I don't need to run the granny charger through a window or under the garage door anymore!

If my requirements fell within a "standard" install description, the costs would have been less than £600. Either way, I knew what I was getting myself in for and I'm chuffed with the outcome.

Next step - Change energy supplier once things ease up and firms stop going under. I've admittedly done things arse about face and should have switched supplier as soon as I ordered the car. In any case, it's still much cheaper than diesel!

What sort of timelines and challenges have people experienced? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I'm just curious.

I figured this could be useful for anyone who thinks turnaround times between placing an order and going-live are short.

For my situation, I confirmed my order (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) a couple of weeks ago and my installer is being given the run around by the DNO. Apparently the new build estate I live on is managed/serviced by a "last mile DNO" who aren't the quickest at responding to any sort of query or request. Apparently the request for my install is in the queue at the DNO.

Thankfully I'm not in a huge rush to get installed as there are plenty of public charging stations around so I can make do in the short term, but I'd like to get the charge point installed at some point!
DNO issues here too! I used Smart Home Charge to order and install my OHME Charger. Started the process August 26th. They have been amazing but in the process of checking out the situation and speaking with the DNO it turned out my neighbour was looped on to my connection. Western Power are the DNO in my area, they have been alright but the subbies they use seem to be the issue. They've dug us both up once and failed to find the loop, now certain its been done under the house. 2 cancellations later they are scheduled to finally sort it Friday 22nd October and then hopefully have the charger installed 26th October by Smart Home Chargers. They have been great by the way, sent the hardware out super quick, video chat to decide the best cable route as not a standard install and just re arranged easy enough despite the constant faffing around from the DNO. So all in all around 2 months from first contact to charger install all being well. If it wasnt for the looped issue think it would have been less than a week.

DNO issues here too! I used Smart Home Charge to order and install my OHME Charger. Started the process August 26th. They have been amazing but in the process of checking out the situation and speaking with the DNO it turned out my neighbour was looped on to my connection. Western Power are the DNO in my area, they have been alright but the subbies they use seem to be the issue. They've dug us both up once and failed to find the loop, now certain its been done under the house. 2 cancellations later they are scheduled to finally sort it Friday 22nd October and then hopefully have the charger installed 26th October by Smart Home Chargers. They have been great by the way, sent the hardware out super quick, video chat to decide the best cable route as not a standard install and just re arranged easy enough despite the constant faffing around from the DNO. So all in all around 2 months from first contact to charger install all being well. If it wasnt for the looped issue think it would have been less than a week.
Wowzers! I hope you get sorted on the 22nd. That sounds like a nightmare

Hi all.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with filling out the OZEV grant application. They ask for evidence of gas and water supply earth bonding. However, my builders have confirmed that as the supply pipes are plastic there is no need for bonding.

House was only built last year (2020).

Anyone had a similar story?

I just filled in an application for an OHME charger - part of a recent Octopus deal.
After the home details and measurements there was the OZEV extra questions and yes I could find and take a photo of my gas meter bonding but have no idea where my water pipe bonding is hiding - might be somewhere behind the kitchen sink unit?
Just have to wait for them to check my answers to see if they need more info.

I just filled in an application for an OHME charger - part of a recent Octopus deal.
After the home details and measurements there was the OZEV extra questions and yes I could find and take a photo of my gas meter bonding but have no idea where my water pipe bonding is hiding - might be somewhere behind the kitchen sink unit?
I did a similar remote survey for PodPoint and sent pictures of the gas bonding but like you couldn’t find the water.
They didn’t comment on it and have booked me in for an installation this week. I hope it doesn’t prevent the work 😬

I wish I had your DNO, at least they’ve tried.

Mine were contacted at the beginning of June after placing the order for a charger. We had a DNO survey done at the beginning of July in preparation to un-loop us. What has happened since then? Absolutely nothing. Apparently they need another survey which still hasn’t been arranged.

The only positive note is that they’ve allowed me to get a charger fitted although it cost me an extra £100 for a load balancer and that I promise to only use it at night, so I had an Andersen fitted a week ago, more than 4 months after placing an order. The electricians, API Electrical have been fine though. I think they’ve been upset at having a bespoke charger sat on the shelf for months.

I did a similar remote survey for PodPoint and sent pictures of the gas bonding but like you couldn’t find the water.
They didn’t comment on it and have booked me in for an installation this week. I hope it doesn’t prevent the work 😬
Same - no request for water bond, but when electrician came to fit the Podpoint, he asked to see the water bond to complete the certificate. I had no idea either, but he said stop tap is where the bond usually is. He was correct!

Mine were contacted at the beginning of June after placing the order for a charger. We had a DNO survey done at the beginning of July in preparation to un-loop us. What has happened since then? Absolutely nothing. Apparently they need another survey which still hasn’t been arranged.

The only positive note is that they’ve allowed me to get a charger fitted although it cost me an extra £100 for a load balancer and that I promise to only use it at night, so I had an Andersen fitted a week ago, more than 4 months after placing an order. The electricians, API Electrical have been fine though. I think they’ve been upset at having a bespoke charger sat on the shelf for months.
Bloody hell! Thats awful from them, just keep chasing them is all i can say because these did nothing until i started badgering them daily.

Reactions: Stuart1714
Mine was just below the kitchen sink. Look for the little metal tag attached to the pipe.

Nearly went for an Andersen. Do they look as good in real life as their promo shots?

Also - does anyone else get the distinct impression that the DNO/charge installer situation is going to be absolutely fubar when there is 10x the current demand for it? I just dread to think tbh… bonkers amount of money involved hence bp pouring cash into chargers and the DNO’s are already struggling?…

Hi all,

I'm very new to the EV world, my Model 3 is being delivered in a few weeks now. I've been looking at different options for home chargers but they all seem very similar in terms of capability and price. I wouldn't need a charger that has solar/extra energy functions, or 'smart' features as such. I've been looking and the two that have caught my eye are the Tesla Gen 3 (currently out of stock) and the Pod Point homecharger.

What seems to be the most common option for a home charger among Tesla owners in the UK?

I'm kind of leaning toward Podpoint as their price includes installation, and has the OLEV grant as well. Although I'm wondering if the official Tesla charger will be best for a Tesla car.

Interested to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

I installed the Tesla Wall Charger myself, and it is not very hard to do.
I strongly recommend you to have it and install it all by yourself… All you have to do is buying a 50A breaker and a cable from the wall breaker to the Tesla Wall Charger. You have to install the TWC and connect the cable first, and connect the 50A breaker to wall breaker at the last.
I think you may check the EVDave on youtube for detailed installation.
Hope this will help you.

Which would be illegal in the UK without having it validated by building control that it meets the relevant regulations at a cost of many £££. Or get an installer to fit who is registered with NICEIC, ELECSA etc who will register it with building control on your behalf.
Whilst I certainly would not advise any person to install themselves unless they are competent, I fail to see what building control has to do with this? It is my understanding that the DNO should be informed but that is about it.

Our building control. We also have the certificate from building control to say that its been lodged (via NICEIC registered electrician) and you will be asked for it when you sell. Its all pretty seamless if you use an electrician registered on the competent persons scheme via NICEIC etc, so many will not even know its happened.