Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7 days until my car arrives and I've still not got my home charger installed :confused:

Found a great installer and they're ready to go but the bloody DNO are taking absolutely ages just to confirm the fuse at the property. I've rang them myself countless times to try and hurry them on but I get the usual excuses. Come on, we all know it's 100A they've even got a photo of it, just sign it off!

Looks like I'm going to be on a granny charger when my car arrives which is stressing me how long that takes to charge.

Anyone had any experiences with installers ‘HomeZap’ ? Been quotes £609 for a wallbox, but can’t seem to find any reviews of the company.
Not the installers, but we have the Wallbox charge point and find it very good. Software manages timed starts perfectly and is reliable. Had problems with an Ohme charger before that so it was swapped for the Wallbox.

Reactions: D1939
In the way of 'accessories' I added one of these just above the Wallbox as it makes for a very good cable tidy.

(The original idea was just that you wrap the cable round the Wallbox but I found it kept falling off and looked a bit of a mess).
That’s interesting to know, thanks.
I’ve got a Wallbox being installed next week and thought wrapping it round the unit itself would be enough as that’s what they lead you to believe.

Do you mount one of these above it and then wrap it over it and under the bottom of the Wallbox?
Does the connector just hang? Not sure whether to buy one of those connector storage socket type things from Amazon.

The 100amp on the fuse cover is usually the rating of the fuse holder ... not necessarily the fuse itself. I don't know why they don't routinely record the actual fuse values on the outside as this comes up all the time. Very frustrating ...
Frustrating yes, but a similar explanation from the installers who seem like good guys. They said they turn up at jobs and it’s the wrong thing and it causes lots of problems which is fair enough.

That’s interesting to know, thanks.
I’ve got a Wallbox being installed next week and thought wrapping it round the unit itself would be enough as that’s what they lead you to believe.

Do you mount one of these above it and then wrap it over it and under the bottom of the Wallbox?
Does the connector just hang? Not sure whether to buy one of those connector storage socket type things from Amazon.
Yep, put it just by Wallbox with the 'holster' underneath - ours came with a thing the 'car end' attaches to.

My Sync EV fitted yesterday. Early days but so far so good. Nice and discreet too.

Attachments

• 1D9D86DE-E2A0-46C7-8450-589349EE9884.jpeg
    1D9D86DE-E2A0-46C7-8450-589349EE9884.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 72
I'm sure this has been covered before, but my tenant wants to put in a charging point (+2) but the parking is ~10 m from the house at the end of the garden, with only wooden fence (cheap, modern new-build quality). Am I right in thinking that a long type 2 (or extension) is a no-go, and we need to do something like build a small brick mounting point to put the charger on?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but my tenant wants to put in a charging point (+2) but the parking is ~10 m from the house at the end of the garden, with only wooden fence (cheap, modern new-build quality). Am I right in thinking that a long type 2 (or extension) is a no-go, and we need to do something like build a small brick mounting point to put the charger on?
You can put a charge point on a post… timber is fine. A run of armoured cable will likely be required. Increases costs but needn’t be prohibitive though depends on locality details.

Reactions: tsh2
I've moved to British Gases ev tarrif for the moment as it was instant with no tie in and i have set the pod-point to cut in at 12 and off at 5am monday to saturday with a longer time on sunday night to make sure its ready for monday. My normal daily run of 70 miles seems to need around 3 hours of charge so comfortably in the 5 hours of off peak. The pod-point app seems good :)

7 days until my car arrives and I've still not got my home charger installed :confused:

Found a great installer and they're ready to go but the bloody DNO are taking absolutely ages just to confirm the fuse at the property. I've rang them myself countless times to try and hurry them on but I get the usual excuses. Come on, we all know it's 100A they've even got a photo of it, just sign it off!

Looks like I'm going to be on a granny charger when my car arrives which is stressing me how long that takes to charge.
It took me an age to get my DNO to work with me, first it was an issue with de-loop, which got sorted fairly quickly, even then the fuse issue was a pain in the a$$. The DNO refused to look at it, told me to call my electric supplier (at the time British Gas), my electric supplier told me it was the DNO. Back and forth we went for weeks, i ended up calling the emergency number for the DNO I was so frustrated and let the young lady on the phone know the whole issue she was fantastic, put me down as an emergency power loss so one of the on-call team could come out, 1 hour later and a mildly confused repair guy pulled my fuse and (as luck would have it) the 100A sticker on the fuse holder proved correct and I had a 100A fuse, this had been changed when my smart meter had been installed apparently. Good luck!!

Reactions: Adopado and PSmigg
My BP charger was removed today and I fitted a Synch EV charger in its place which cost me £600. If seems the EV fitters trouser the £350 Government Grant for their free fitting. Anyway, the Synch EV was easy to set up and my first test charge is tonight on my E7 tariff.

Out of curiosity, what do your installers recommend for charging your car in the off-peak Economy 7 period?

Is the recommendation:
  1. Let the charger set the start time, and set the car to charge at any time
  2. Let the charger start at any time and set the car to set the start time
  3. Let the car and charger to both set the start time
The reason I ask, is that when I use my SynchEV to charge my Smart car, I get continuous clicking of relays and notifications every 2 minutes from the Smart and for the Tesla M3 I also got clicks when I set both car and charger to the start time.

Just wondered if installers gave any advice?

Out of curiosity, what do your installers recommend for charging your car in the off-peak Economy 7 period?

Is the recommendation:
The reason I ask, is that when I use my SynchEV to charge my Smart car, I get continuous clicking of relays and notifications every 2 minutes from the Smart and for the Tesla M3 I also got clicks when I set both car and charger to the start time.

Not sure installers necessarily know enough about the nuances of every car manufacturers charging abilities to be able to advise. I use the app my charger has which allows me to use a start and end time. The Tesla 'on board' timer only allows you to set a start time or a departure time, not a start and finish meaning you need to second guess how much to limit the charge % to make sure it ends before the costs increase. The drawback with the departure time is that it will pre-condition the battery - pointless if you're not going out at that point.

In practice, my charger now will only deliver power during the off-peak period my provider (Octopus) offers. I can plug my car in at any time knowing the charge won't start till the cheap period begins. I can of course override that if I need to.

Reactions: Adopado

Is the recommendation:

Am still finding a bit weird that my Sync EV charger is on scheduled charge but my Tesla reports charging stopped / interrupted and I have to unplug and reply get the cable from the charger end to get it to charge properly which defeats the purpose of scheduled charging! Any one had experience of this with their Sync EV charger with their model 3 or shall I give them a call?