Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do none of the chargers have this built in yet by default?

In case helpful:

EVSE Options

EDIT: Baldrick beat me to it with his Cunning Spreadsheet :)

but they have a 12 week back order

You can use 13 AMP to charge with the UMC that comes with the car. Probably about 7 MPH on an M3, so 12-hours-each-night would give you 80 - 90 miles range. Dunno if that would do as a stop gap ?

Reactions: Baldrick
In case helpful:

EVSE Options

EDIT: Baldrick beat me to it with his Cunning Spreadsheet :)

You can use 13 AMP to charge with the UMC that comes with the car. Probably about 7 MPH on an M3, so 12-hours-each-night would give you 80 - 90 miles range. Dunno if that would do as a stop gap ?
Glad you are finding the spreadsheet useful!

Have a look at a 16A Commando socket maybe? The socket itself is fairly cheap.

Reactions: Avendit
That's annoying. Do none of the chargers have this built in yet by default?

At least some do - Rolec, PodPoint, Zappi(v2) are ones I know for sure claim this capability.

If they say something along the lines of 18th Edition Regulation compliant then they so.

Unfortunately, that's ambiguous - a chargepoint without DC protection can be installed in compliance with 18th Edition regulations, simply (and expensively) by using an external Type-B or Type-EV RCD.

I was trying to see if the EO units fall in this category. On the website they now say "18th Edition IET Wiring Compliant", but appear to have deleted the full datasheet from their website (Google finds it but the link is broken). On another website there is a copy of the datasheet, dated March 2018, which makes clear that if you require DC protection you need to fit an external RCD. So have they updated the product, or do they comply via an external RCD?

PS. your spreadsheet says that the EO units don't do loadsharing - that seems not to be true as they sell an add-on box to do the load sharing, though exactly what the spec is I can't say as there's no datasheet....:mad:

At least some do - Rolec, PodPoint, Zappi(v2) are ones I know for sure claim this capability.

Unfortunately, that's ambiguous - a chargepoint without DC protection can be installed in compliance with 18th Edition regulations, simply (and expensively) by using an external Type-B or Type-EV RCD.

I was trying to see if the EO units fall in this category. On the website they now say "18th Edition IET Wiring Compliant", but appear to have deleted the full datasheet from their website (Google finds it but the link is broken). On another website there is a copy of the datasheet, dated March 2018, which makes clear that if you require DC protection you need to fit an external RCD. So have they updated the product, or do they comply via an external RCD?

PS. your spreadsheet says that the EO units don't do loadsharing - that seems not to be true as they sell an add-on box to do the load sharing, though exactly what the spec is I can't say as there's no datasheet....:mad:

Thanks that's good to know.

Last edited:

Nice spot. I found the details (including Datasheet) for the EO ALM here. Amended my sheet.
You are right about the ambiguity with 18th Edition wiring. In theory any charger can be made compliant. It's whether it needs the expensive RCD or has it built in.

• Informative
Reactions: arg
Ive bought the Tesla Charger and my electrician is talking about it needing a separate RCD box and its the more expensive one of the various types due to the high power requirement.

Is this typical ? We have no capacity on our existing two RCD boxes due the endless other stuff so I thought it would need an additional one but he is talking of maybe £400 just for the new box :eek:

We
Ive bought the Tesla Charger and my electrician is talking about it needing a separate RCD box and its the more expensive one of the various types due to the high power requirement.

Is this typical ? We have no capacity on our existing two RCD boxes due the endless other stuff so I thought it would need an additional one but he is talking of maybe £400 just for the new box :eek:

You’ll definitely need a dedicated RCD, so I suppose that if your box is full you’ll need a new box? Is that what he meant?

He's possibly quoting a Type B RCD which is the new standard (18th Edition) for EVSE charger protection.
[I'm not a professional or an expert, this is what I think they are charging you for]
I don't think the Tesla Chargers include DC protection internally like a lot of modern chargers include hence the charge.

Wow that's cheap. I just rang one of the recommended electrical firms from Tesla's website and they quoted £1000 installation with up to 10m cable! Apparently it's £550 for every extra metre. I think it's safe to say I won't be using them.
Same here... I think the TESLA recommended Installers are trying to cash in. I think we should take something positive out of the wait and use the time to find reasonably prices alternatives. From what I can find out only real advantage of the Tesla charger is that you can press a button to open the charger port. I think I can manage to press the port myself. So at the moment i'm leaning towards the Pod Point approx £350 all in and reviews are all quite good. Unless someone can steer me elsewhere ..... ?

Same here... I think the TESLA recommended Installers are trying to cash in. I think we should take something positive out of the wait and use the time to find reasonably prices alternatives. From what I can find out only real advantage of the Tesla charger is that you can press a button to open the charger port. I think I can manage to press the port myself. So at the moment i'm leaning towards the Pod Point approx £350 all in and reviews are all quite good. Unless someone can steer me elsewhere ..... ?
Yeah I totally agree, I wouldn't be surprised if they've just been ramping their prices up from the day they became certified with Tesla.

And yes I'm going with Pod Point now. I just rang them this morning and they answered quickly and within minutes the installer rang back to go over the layout of my drive. He brought up street view while on the phone so we could work out cost. It's only £5 for every extra metre.
I can't speak for the actual quality of the product yet but the service for me has so far been excellent!

Oh and just a 10 day lead time so much quicker than the others. I'm picking my car up Saturday (only found out yesterday) so now rushing to get the installer done.

I’ve just been quoted £450 for a juicebox from my local installer. It ticks all the boxes for my requirements and after consulting with a mate who’s a sparky, he seems happy with what they’re offering.
I like the ‘industrial’ look of it. It’ll be on an outside wall and from what a lot of the US users say it’s a decent unit

I’ve just been quoted £450 for a juicebox from my local installer. It ticks all the boxes for my requirements and after consulting with a mate who’s a sparky, he seems happy with what they’re offering.
I like the ‘industrial’ look of it. It’ll be on an outside wall and from what a lot of the US users say it’s a decent unit
JuiceBox was my number 2 option for the techie features, but my wife (quite rightly) says it would stand out like a sore thumb on the front of our house.