Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you have a link to the listing? I've been looking on eBay and am not seeing anything close to what you paid - TIA!

ebay is hit or miss...it happened listing just popped up while i was looking so i got very lucky. you could also setup an alert but if you need something sooner you can try this thread.

ebay is hit or miss...it happened listing just popped up while i was looking so i got very lucky. you could also setup an alert but if you need something sooner you can try this thread.

Thanks for the quick response - I'll check out the thread you linked to!

you are not voiding the warranty. Tesla will not warranty the home link module, that’s it’s. It’s not like the entire warranty is void if you touch a tool to the car….
That is what I meant. Warranty of HomeLink only not the entire car. If it has issues or goes bad they fix it or replace it if they have installed it. Also, not everyone is careful doing these installs. If by any chance you mess up something else then that would not be covered either. In my opinion, $120 is not worth the risks it brings with it. But everyone is different. If it was like I was saving $500 or maybe even $250 then maybe I might try. I did something similar (third party accessory) to my Porsche Cayenne and it was not worth the headache it caused later.

I don't have the Model Y delivered yet but I am currently using MQ via Alexa/GPS for testing. It closes the garage when I leave and opens it when I come back automatically using GPS location. No Voice command required. Maybe that is what I will continue to do going forward and skip homelink all together. My other cars have built in garage openers so I never had to do any of this.

NOTE on using Voice commands to open your garage: If you happen to have any amazon device at home like an Echo, someone could in theory stand outside your door/window/kitchen and shout loudly for Alexa to open the garage door. And it will open it. Its a security hazard. So MQ recommends calling your garage door with some unique number. Like "Alexa open 99999". If you have more than one door, then you can give different numbers to each. That way no one would know except you how to open the door. But I found GPS solution to be more secure as I almost always carry the phone with me when I leave home or get back and its triggered by the GPS location of my phone

Last edited:
just got the module installed and it was very easy based on the video. did break a clip on the fender but nothing a zip tie can't fix :) since i didn't have a holder, used double sided tape to stick it onto the plastic mount and secured with zip tie.

one thing that really got me was that during programming to unlock the gateway in service mode, it says to hit the right turn signal and brakes for 8 seconds but it would not register the right turn signal and thought the module was defective. found out that the stalk has to be actually pushed up further and it finally worked. all in all works great.

Attachments

• IMG_5879.jpg
    IMG_5879.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5880.jpg
    IMG_5880.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 133
That is what I meant. Warranty of HomeLink only not the entire car. If it has issues or goes bad they fix it or replace it if they have installed it. Also, not everyone is careful doing these installs. If by any chance you mess up something else then that would not be covered either. In my opinion, $120 is not worth the risks it brings with it. But everyone is different. If it was like I was saving $500 or maybe even $250 then maybe I might try. I did something similar (third party accessory) to my Porsche Cayenne and it was not worth the headache it caused later.

I don't have the Model Y delivered yet but I am currently using MQ via Alexa/GPS for testing. It closes the garage when I leave and opens it when I come back automatically using GPS location. No Voice command required. Maybe that is what I will continue to do going forward and skip homelink all together. My other cars have built in garage openers so I never had to do any of this.

NOTE on using Voice commands to open your garage: If you happen to have any amazon device at home like an Echo, someone could in theory stand outside your door/window/kitchen and shout loudly for Alexa to open the garage door. And it will open it. Its a security hazard. So MQ recommends calling your garage door with some unique number. Like "Alexa open 99999". If you have more than one door, then you can give different numbers to each. That way no one would know except you how to open the door. But I found GPS solution to be more secure as I almost always carry the phone with me when I leave home or get back and its triggered by the GPS location of my phone

I'm pretty sure Teslas are compatible with MyQ now. No need for all that other stuff

Yes they are compatible as long as you pay the subscription fee to them. MyQ offers various price points depending on the length of time. They range from $45/year to a 10-year subscription for $299. MyQ also offers a 5-year plan for $179. Hope this helps.

I've had homelink for a few years, I was only bringing up MyQ to help. Perhaps I didn't follow this thread close enough. Didn't know about the subscription

I just bought a used one from eBay same model (1114984-00-B) for my 2023 Model Y LR picked up on December 2022. Installed seems fine and I'm able to added it on my car, however I noticed the right headlight is ON when the Homelink module is plugged in. Left headlight is off and whatever I try to do it's still not On. So I unplug the module and both headlights are ok. I try to setup the homelink but somehow I can't get pass the screen where you holding down the remote and link to the car. I'm on the latest software version 2023.12.5. I'm not sure what's going on, i checked the Service Alerts and got these:

VCFront_a096_OCS1P_MIA
VCRight_a238_lumbarValveMIA
EPBR_a096_OCS1P_MIA

Does anyone know what's happened?

I just bought a used one from eBay same model (1114984-00-B) for my 2023 Model Y LR picked up on December 2022. Installed seems fine and I'm able to added it on my car, however I noticed the right headlight is ON when the Homelink module is plugged in. Left headlight is off and whatever I try to do it's still not On. So I unplug the module and both headlights are ok. I try to setup the homelink but somehow I can't get pass the screen where you holding down the remote and link to the car. I'm on the latest software version 2023.12.5. I'm not sure what's going on, i checked the Service Alerts and got these:

VCFront_a096_OCS1P_MIA
VCRight_a238_lumbarValveMIA
EPBR_a096_OCS1P_MIA

Does anyone know what's happened?
Sorry no idea. I still use my previous Sears garage opener and I feel more secure that way because I AM IN CONTROL
Maybe U could find a solution on Utube, Google search on internet? Good Luck
Is there a way to "restart" the system like your computer or cellphone?