Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll echo what others have said about the WiFi option. My garage does have the WiFi option and I can open it with the myQ app. But even with that I was still using a manual clicker because the app is slow and I don’t want to fumble with my phone. The auto open as I approach is perfect.

I also really like that it auto folds the mirrors as I approach.

I’m likely in the minority, but I use a lot of HomeKit devices through my iPhone & Apple Watch. One of them is a garage door opener (MyQ and then the HomeKit bridge) with some rules/automation through the Home app. I have it set so that when I leave or arrive home it closes/opens the garage door (amongst other items), and it prompts me on my watch for confirmation so I really don’t have to pull out my phone or worry about opening an app to trigger it.

Though in all honesty I would like having homelink built into the car as well (likely getting my Model 3 in August).

We had ordered the Tesla Automatic Garage Door opener, but after three weeks with no response from Tesla Shop regarding shipping of the hardware, or when to contact Tesla Service (which I did proactively based on suggestions in this thread), and after reading user reports that from bumper removal is required to install the hardware (confirmed to us by Tesla Service), and having had previous bad experiences with accessories installed on other cars by dealers after the sale that resulted in rattles, we decided to cancel the order and simply use our old garage clicker. My wife in particular was concerned about possible paint damage to the bumper during removal and re-installation. It wasn't going to be worth the hassle.

Sad.

This is a poor cost cutting move by Musk, in our opinion, which has tainted the pleasure of owning our Model 3.

We had ordered the Tesla Automatic Garage Door opener, but after three weeks with no response from Tesla Shop regarding shipping of the hardware, or when to contact Tesla Service (which I did proactively based on suggestions in this thread), and after reading user reports that from bumper removal is required to install the hardware (confirmed to us by Tesla Service), and having had previous bad experiences with accessories installed on other cars by dealers after the sale that resulted in rattles, we decided to cancel the order and simply use our old garage clicker. My wife in particular was concerned about possible paint damage to the bumper during removal and re-installation. It wasn't going to be worth the hassle.

Sad.

This is a poor cost cutting move by Musk, in our opinion, which has tainted the pleasure of owning our Model 3.

yep, paint damage here from the Homelink “retrofit” abomination.

Just use double sided tape or Velcro and place your old remote on the backside/bottom/center of the touch screen. Hidden out of the way, easy to access, less of a security risk than on the visor and there you go. Saved you $300, damage to your bumper during install, and having the auto open/close feature close on your car like it did mine.

Instead of doing this you can also velcro it to the inside of the door bin pocket, so you can just reach down and push it. Out of sight.

These are great ideas. If I had not gotten the homelink module free with my order, I would probably not have spent the $300.
I was carrying a visor clip remote in my console and the ideas here to "mount" that in a hidden place that is more convenient than opening up the console every time, are very good for a cheap solution.

I do love having the location aware auto open and close. But I can't say it would be worth the $300 aftermarket price to me.

Also, I was concerned about damage during installation as well.. not so much to paint but to my PPF or ceramic coating. But my bumper never came off. The tech had a way of detaching partially and reaching behind that kept everything intact and off the ground. No damage whatsoever thankfully.

Sad.

Only one person has had paint damage during install (and that definitely sucks for him). Guarantee that this is not the norm. I’d get HomeLink installed and stop worrying, as it’s NOT a hard procedure.

Only one person has had paint damage during install (and that definitely sucks for him).
Only one person with damage has posted their experience in these forums. That's not to say there aren't more people with paint damage as a result of the Homelink installation who haven't posted their experience in a forum.

We mounted a standard garage door opener in a hidden location. That works well for us.

Reactions: super20g
Only one person with damage has posted their experience in these forums. That's not to say there aren't more people with paint damage as a result of the Homelink installation who haven't posted their experience in a forum.

We mounted a standard garage door opener in a hidden location. That works well for us.

Well that argument can be used for anything. :)

In any case, HomeLink is so worth it.

Well that argument can be used for anything. :)

In any case, HomeLink is so worth it.
I've had homelink and not had homelink on different 3's. To each their own but it's not really a big deal to push a button on a garage door opener hidden behind the screen. I was already having to manually activate HomeLink because it wasn't working when I reverse into my driveway. If it came with the car, it's nice and all. If you have to pay extra to get it, your call.

Reactions: tvad
I've had homelink and not had homelink on different 3's. To each their own but it's not really a big deal to push a button on a garage door opener hidden behind the screen. I was already having to manually activate HomeLink because it wasn't working when I reverse into my driveway. If it came with the car, it's nice and all. If you have to pay extra to get it, your call.

It’s great because geolocation. I know exactly when it will work or won’t. I don’t even use the automatic functions. It feels beautifully integrated and much safer than a clicker.

It’s great because geolocation. I know exactly when it will work or won’t. I don’t even use the automatic functions. It feels beautifully integrated and much safer than a clicker.
I wish it would work with my stateful garage door opener... Then I would be all about it. But with it just sending signals blindly, I've had it close on the car as I backed in, open when it should have closed, not work when backing up, etc. Maybe there was a problem with mine, I am not sure. I reported the issues to service multiple times and they thought it was fine based on the logs and multiple ranger visits.

I agree with this. While I do like it and it works well for me to both open and close, and I like not having to think about garage door opening it just happens, if it hadn't come with my car I'm not sure I would have paid extra.

I did have to modify the distance a few times to get just the right spot. I wish that it allowed you to set the open and close at different distances.

Reactions: super20g